acceleration after donuts

se350z

So all in all a bit of a donut doing them instead of eating them. :doh:

Note use of appropriate smilie :teeth:

(Sorry Lexx :surrender: )

Lesson learnt for the OP and if the urge takes you again ask Darren-B to show you how as he is still on the same same clutch after some 65k miles; some 30 full trackdays and er, lots of roundies ;)

Yes Darren truly is the King of Donuts :#1:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I'm still a child at heart - body may be 55 but brain is " . . .about 12" (as the advert used to say)

However- I fully understand the desire to play with your car, and with the torque and power in a 350Z, part of the joy is doing stuff like this which you'll never get to do in staid little Focus or something. (especially front wheel drive!)

I'd always wanted to do a donut - so when this particular middle aged . . . child . (me). . . and his old Bridestones got low verging on illegal about a year ago, rather than do something silly in a car park, I went to Santa Pod for a "Drift What Ya Brung" day.

A couple of advantages - plenty of room, and people around who really know what they're doing and they were willing to teach me.

For what its worth - if you want to spin the wheels easily - put the pressures up to 60psi. If you are running at your normal 35psi the tyres are continually trying to re-establish grip - at 60 psi you can spin them much much easier. One of the drift guys told me that and it made a big difference.

Had a great day, burnt the tires off and then put the new ones on.

Interestingly, also found that the 350z has enough grunt to spin the wheels without having to drop the clutch - so I'm still driving on the same clutch I had when I did this. It had about 30k miles on it then - has 40k miles on it now.

The smaller cars (like an MX5) had to hammer theitr clutches to get the wheels to spin - with the Zed I could just plant the pedal and turn and off she'd go.

Perhaps doing it in a car park, with normal tyre pressures contributed to burning his clutch out? However - I'd suggest doing it somewhere safe, but apart from that - - - Go On, have a go!

(Doesn't everyone - secretly - want to have a go? You've heard about it - you're driving a great car which can do it - don't you want to have a go?)

http://Link to YouTube:

post-5330-135011914805_thumb.jpg

Quote: "dad ragging round in his mid-life-crisis mobile" that did make me :lol:

I agree take it to a place where spaces are open and you'll not get nabbed by the Police, but showing off in car parks a bit of a :thumbdown:

+1 a local cruise isnt a place for driving like that.

It was safe ;) Half of the car park was empty the other half was full of sports car, a to z...we meet up every sunday and chill in the car park..

It is exactly this which has killed off the scene in my part of the UK.

Police were perfectly happy to let us sit around and admire each other cars. There were 4 large meets every week throughout the region.

But the people doing donuts and generally acting the fool got it all stopped. Killed the scene dead in the space of 6 months.

For what its worth, I don't class doing Donuts as "chilling".

Yeah yeah, I was off topic. blah blah.

Back on topic,

If you intend on ragging the hell out of your clutch by doing such stunts, then get yourself a decent one otherwise you will be paying again in a few months time after you destroy the next one.

Get a Exeddy clutch and Fidenza flywheel. It'll cost you, but its worth it.

is this the best clutch and fly combo for my car?

an Exedy clutch kit including an uprated bearing and a Fidanza/helix lightened aluminium flywheel...

Yes, that's the combo most owners upgrade to.

Just be aware that there will be a slight increase in clutch chatter

I have that exact combo too, Exedy & Fidanza...

There is more chatter yes but it is more than worth it :thumbs:

is this the best clutch and fly combo for my car?

an Exedy clutch kit including an uprated bearing and a Fidanza/helix lightened aluminium flywheel...

Yes, that's the combo most owners upgrade to.

Just be aware that there will be a slight increase in clutch chatter

I have that exact combo too, Exedy & Fidanza...

There is more chatter yes but it is more than worth it :thumbs:

Sorry darling,cant hear you over the interesting chatter going on between me and my car now that iv installed £1000 worth of clutch and flywheel that probably stopped us having that great holiday away we were going to have! :teeth:

Stuff about DWYB

Great post.

Ok, I'm guilty of flaming sometimes however this was a great post that educates rather than lectures.

Now I'm sure the member will learn from his mistakes himself, be thankful people weren't hurt etc etc. I'm hopeful that anyone on here would ensure an area was safe before performing such manoeuvres.

Now the best thing to do is speak to ZMANALEX on supply of parts to get it sorted. :thumbs: