Advice on exhaust upgrade

sipar69

Hmm, I doubt if the HFC's with a stock exhaust would create a "nicer" sound, this is why we fit aftermarket systems, to improve the sound, the HFC's further enhance the aftermarket systems.

We done this a few times on 350 Zed's with good results.

BHP or sound ? :bounce:

Maybe BHP, slightly, sound? Less slightly probably :shrug:

I did loads of research before settling for Akrapovic/Berk combo. I'm sure I read/heard bad reports on the stateside 370Z forum and youtube about fitting HFC's to the stock exhaust with regards to bad 'hissing noise'. I do get a bit of the hissing noise on my system when at around 3000 rpm when lifting off the gas and to be honest i'd sooner it not be there. Go on youtube, put in 370Z HFC and let the hissing begin!

Scotty

Get this on the over run, I think it's a feature and sounds great :thumbs: I love the combo :teeth:

I love the over run noise. Decats do it alot louder. You learn to live with that though and it eventually doesn't bother you at all.

The hissing is all to do with cam control on over run we normally find , Scotty is your noise at 3000rpm on the over run or on full throttle?

On the 350Z we tweak the cam map ont he over run to help with popping on the over run , we still cant get into the cam control on the 370Z so we are a little stuck at the moment on the 370Z's.

But I think cam control remapping wont be far away with the Uprev software.

Mark

The hissing is all to do with cam control on over run we normally find , Scotty is your noise at 3000rpm on the over run or on full throttle?

On the 350Z we tweak the cam map ont he over run to help with popping on the over run , we still cant get into the cam control on the 370Z so we are a little stuck at the moment on the 370Z's.

But I think cam control remapping wont be far away with the Uprev software.

Mark

I get the hissing noise when NOT in gear when revving the engine - as the revs come down just before idle (say 3000rpm to idle) then I get the hissing noise that lasts for half a second or so. I've heard it loads on youtube when people post their vids of their new exhausts - it's when they rev their car at standstill. The subject of hissing and aftermarket exhausts and HFC's is well documented on the American 370Z forum. Let me know if and when UPEV remap can help as I will need to pay you a visit at that point!

Cheers,

Scotty

Think I'm going to just go for the exhaust to begin with and maybe consider other changes down the line. After a lot of research I'm fairly sure it will be Stillen. Hope to order from Tarmac and get it fitted by a place recommended by Colin in Fleet.

Just got to decide whether to bite the financial bullet before or just after Christmas. Heart says before, head says after! :lol:

Sipar, if you end up going for the Stillen, then I'm confident you'll not be disappointed. I went through the same head-f*ck as you a few months back and ended up with getting a Stillen fitted (courtesy of Tarmac :thumbs: ). Now I've lived with it for a few months I've no plans to add anything else (uprev, HFCs, etc) as I think the sounds is perfect and the extra power on tap is just enough.

Like you, I didn't desire any more power, and pretty much forgot about the gain. I didn't think the extra claimed 18bhp would be that noticable anyway. Well, I'm thrilled by the difference, completely taken by surprise. It's not just the extra 'speed' that you notice, it's more the way the engine behaves - difficult to describe, just feels 'free-er' and revs very nicely indeed.

I'm struggling to notice any sound difference whatsoever between my Stillen and the Invidia one Chris posted on page 2. I took videos of mine but shot them in full 1080p so each clip is massive - can't find anyway to post them unfortunately.

Caveat - I did panic massively when I heard it first (had never heard on in the flesh until mine was fitted) and thought I'd have to remove it, but, give it time, you soon get used to the extra voice and will grow to love it. Like you, I was massively nervous about it being too loud or chavvy, was surprised at first but now love it.

Don't suppose it'll let you blur a reg plate too??

No idea - plates get seen on the road, never understood the hang-up in places like this forum. I can understand celebs/royals/police hiding the details but not for Joe Public.

But each to their own :shrug:

Don't suppose it'll let you blur a reg plate too??

No idea - plates get seen on the road, never understood the hang-up in places like this forum. I can understand celebs/royals/police hiding the details but not for Joe Public.

But each to their own :shrug:

Yeah I've always thought that too I suppose there is a small risk that someone will trawl the net to find a reg plate to clone but then everything is a risk, why even get out of bed :shrug:

I know what you're saying and I'm usually remarkably laid back about this but have got more wary recently for no apparent reason.

Basically, I drive a rare car, have an even more recognisable reg plate, so more fool the numpty who chooses to clone it!!!

Sipar, if you end up going for the Stillen, then I'm confident you'll not be disappointed. I went through the same head-f*ck as you a few months back and ended up with getting a Stillen fitted (courtesy of Tarmac :thumbs: ). Now I've lived with it for a few months I've no plans to add anything else (uprev, HFCs, etc) as I think the sounds is perfect and the extra power on tap is just enough.

Like you, I didn't desire any more power, and pretty much forgot about the gain. I didn't think the extra claimed 18bhp would be that noticable anyway. Well, I'm thrilled by the difference, completely taken by surprise. It's not just the extra 'speed' that you notice, it's more the way the engine behaves - difficult to describe, just feels 'free-er' and revs very nicely indeed.

I'm struggling to notice any sound difference whatsoever between my Stillen and the Invidia one Chris posted on page 2. I took videos of mine but shot them in full 1080p so each clip is massive - can't find anyway to post them unfortunately.

Caveat - I did panic massively when I heard it first (had never heard on in the flesh until mine was fitted) and thought I'd have to remove it, but, give it time, you soon get used to the extra voice and will grow to love it. Like you, I was massively nervous about it being too loud or chavvy, was surprised at first but now love it.

Rogerxp, just to say thanks ... you've so helped me make my mind up, will be ordering a Stillen in a couple of weeks then ...

Like you say it is a head f**k, so many exhausts and so many different sounds ... and soo many videos which I'm not sure help or hinder when it comes to making a choice...

Exhaust first, then will probably go to Abbey to get an up rev in the new year, but like you say maybe thats not even a defo :D

Thanks for this - helps to convince me further that I've made the right choice!

I am picking up new our Black Edition from WLMG in Slough tomorrow :yahoo: . I have booked the car in to have the Stillen fitted on the 12th (All things going to plan with the car collection, I'll be ordering from Tarmac tomorrow for delivery next week) :yahoo: I chose TGM in Fleet for the fitting on Ebized's recommendation.

So all in all this just goes to show how great and useful this forum is!!! I know we don't seem to have a whole heap of visitors right now, but the help and advice I've had has been priceless! :thumbs: I'll post pics of the car with the Stillen on as soon as it's all sorted.