Advice on exhaust upgrade

sipar69

Hi all

I am definitely looking to upgrade my 370Z exhaust soon - probably just after Christmas. I have done a lot of research on the internet and had some great advice from Tarmac.

I was leaning towards Akrapovic but they do seem expensive. Tarmac has suggested Stillen or Invidia Gemini. I know a few of you have Stillen but not sure about Invidia? The attraction with Invidia is that it's not as expensive so I could probably get the work done sooner, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I'm told that neither system is too in your face under normal driving conditions. That's really important for me - I want a sports car sound but not a chavy "boom" that will upset the girlfriend, the neighbours and make me look an idiot :headhurt:

I'd love to hear your views / suggestions. Also if anyone can recommend a good place to get it fitted in the London / Surrey / Middlesex area that would be even better!

Cheers all :thumbs:

You already have my offer ;) and without doubt TGM Sport at Fleet will sort you out fitting wise - pics from when I had the Stillen fitted there, aside from other quality work done there at reasonable prices :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=31681&hilit=stillen

Cheers Colin - if you don't mind me asking - how much did you pay for fitting?

You already have my offer ;) and without doubt TGM Sport at Fleet will sort you out fitting wise - pics from when I had the Stillen fitted there, aside from other quality work done there at reasonable prices :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=31681&hilit=stillen

Cheers Colin - if you don't mind me asking - how much did you pay for fitting?

You have a pm :thumbs:

Listen to Colins and go from there. Tom@TGM will look after you too - their rates are very reasonable for being in the south ;)

The Invidia is the same layout as the Stillen, so I'd think there isnt much in it sound wise. I'd be temped by the Invidia just to be different B)

Thanks for the replies guys! Can't wait to get it done. Invidia might just shade it due to the significant price difference (not having the blue tips though - don't like em!).

I will let you know once it's been done and try and post pics / vid B)

(not having the blue tips though - don't like em!).

See, thats the difference that would sell it for me. Burnt cut-away tips :cloud9:

Invidia stuff has pretty solid reliability so you won't go wrong :thumbs:

(not having the blue tips though - don't like em!).

See, thats the difference that would sell it for me. Burnt cut-away tips :cloud9:

Invidia stuff has pretty solid reliability so you won't go wrong :thumbs:

Thanks - that's good to know - I was wondering if cheaper cost meant poorer quality but there are some good detailed reviews on US sites and they seem to be well regarded systems. :thumbs:

We can do you an awesome deal on an exhaust and include a Uprev remap if so needed.

Please dont count us out thou as we arent the cheapest labour rate but far cheaper than a main dealer but we know the 350/370 Zeds really well and have the latest diagnostic equipment in house.

Mark,

What kind of an awesome deal :p

I am desperate for a Stillen, plus Uprev, but don't get my bonus until January .... if its a super Xmas special price, I might be convinced to put it on plastic now rather then wait until Jan :clap:

Let me know buddy

Cheers

Whatever you get, and my biased opinion is Akrapovic Evolution ;), get a set of HFC's, again I'm biased toward Berks, you certainly won't regret it :thumbs:

I know the Evolution is meant to be a great system but the prices I've been quoted for it are more than I really want to pay. :wacko:

Whatever you get, and my biased opinion is Akrapovic Evolution ;), get a set of HFC's, again I'm biased toward Berks, you certainly won't regret it :thumbs:

I know the Evolution is meant to be a great system but the prices I've been quoted for it are more than I really want to pay. :wacko:

And you dont make as much power as Stillen/HKS :teeth:

Care to elighten a total noob to mods about what High Flow Cats do, what they will add to a set up, and likely cost...(I am learning more and more every day ;) )

Care to elighten a total noob to mods about what High Flow Cats do, what they will add to a set up, and likely cost...(I am learning more and more every day ;) )

Gman was one of my first 370z HFC customers, he should be getting royalities tbh as he is there biggest fan :lol:

The cats have a matrix inside that converts the exhaust gas into a safer gas , a stock cat is around a density of 500 dpi where as a HFC(high flow cat) is nornally around 250/200dpi so it is less restricting,so the exhaust gas flows easier so less restricting , but still allows the car to pass the MOT emission test.

Being less restricting fitting HFC's makes the car's sound a lot better and then fitting a nice exhaust system and a remap will keep the car legal and let the car sound and go like it should.

hope that helps.

It wont be a Stillen exhaust on the deal it will be a HKS , are you still interested? I also have a big berks delivery on it's way to the UK so we can also add a set of HFC,s into the deal if your interested in the HKS super sound master exhaust system.

Mark

hi mark, don't know much about HKS, but yes would still be very interested

The cats have a matrix inside that converts the exhaust gas into a safer gas , a stock cat is around a density of 500 dpi where as a HFC(high flow cat) is nornally around 250/200dpi so it is less restricting,so the exhaust gas flows easier so less restricting , but still allows the car to pass the MOT emission test.

Being less restricting fitting HFC's makes the car's sound a lot better and then fitting a nice exhaust system and a remap will keep the car legal and let the car sound and go like it should.

hope that helps.

Thanks! :thumbs:

I'm not that interested in power gains - there's more than I can possibly handle now :wacko:

however, am interested in the sound track - what's the feasibility of (for now anyway) just adding the Berks HFC - would this improve the sound ??

I'm not that interested in power gains - there's more than I can possibly handle now :wacko:

however, am interested in the sound track - what's the feasibility of (for now anyway) just adding the Berks HFC - would this improve the sound ??

Likewise! To me as it's my first car it's a beast already - I'm modding for the sound, not extra power! :blush:

Likewise! To me as it's my first car it's a beast already - I'm modding for the sound, not extra power! :blush:

Hmm, I doubt if the HFC's with a stock exhaust would create a "nicer" sound, this is why we fit aftermarket systems, to improve the sound, the HFC's further enhance the aftermarket systems.

Nissan missed a trick here, with what really is a bespoke sports car, they could have done what Porsche/Audi/Maserati/Lambo all do and fit "Sports" Exhausts that come into there own at certain RPM, or can be shut off altogether.

Hmm, I doubt if the HFC's with a stock exhaust would create a "nicer" sound, this is why we fit aftermarket systems, to improve the sound, the HFC's further enhance the aftermarket systems.

We done this a few times on 350 Zed's with good results.

BHP or sound ? :bounce: