The Apple Thread

Ekona

I've been using mobile me for nearly two years and it's been absolutely fine. Apple have a pretty good security record so I'm sure this will be no different.

Well after a quick blast last night and a good old poke around today, I can honestly say that iSO5 is bloody lovely!! I think the iPad has had the best overhaul! Tabbed browsing (shameful to say) is most welcome, switching between apps is awesome, pinch to home screen is a nice touch and the notification center is really good. Early days and I'm sure there's more to discover but first impressions are good! :thumbs:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to get the 5 for my iPad and iPhone last night... wasn't even available through iTunes!

Have they taken it down due to high demand?

it was available from 6pm (10am PDT)

I managed to get it downloaded on the second attempt at around 7pm, but failed to update on 3 seperate attempts at the point where it tried to connect to the iTunes store to verify.

Just about to attempt attempt 4.

Should be fine this morning Al. The last of our iPhones was done this morning and went through A-ok first time.

Cant see any major differences in iOS5 TBH, not like night and day with iOS4 is it. Some nice new features, but nothing that I expect a major version upgrade to achieve other than new wireless updates and sync'ing. But Wifi is so slow for that kind of thing I think I will stick to using the cable.

Tried to get the 5 for my iPad and iPhone last night... wasn't even available through iTunes!

Have they taken it down due to high demand?

it was available from 6pm (10am PDT)

I managed to get it downloaded on the second attempt at around 7pm, but failed to update on 3 seperate attempts at the point where it tried to connect to the iTunes store to verify.

Just about to attempt attempt 4.

How ?

Tam went onto iTunes, did the "check for updates" on her phone and on the iPad and nothing.... :wacko:

Do you have to do it manually? :shrug:

Connect iphone to computer, and open iTunes

Select the phone on the left hand nav panel.

Click the button that says something like "Check for updates" - it should be roughtly in the middle of the screen.

Should be fine this morning Al. The last of our iPhones was done this morning and went through A-ok first time.

Cant see any major differences in iOS5 TBH, not like night and day with iOS4 is it. Some nice new features, but nothing that I expect a major version upgrade to achieve other than new wireless updates and sync'ing. But Wifi is so slow for that kind of thing I think I will stick to using the cable.

Well my missus was very keen to get iOS5, so last night she plugged in her iphone and set it to update.

I was very keen to watch as my galaxy s2 just automatically updates itsself over the airwaves. The other week when I swapped my s2 for a different one, it was just a case of typing in my gmail address & password on the new phone and automatically all my photos, contacts, apps, email settings, the whole lot just magically "appeared" on the new phone without any plugging in or anything. So I was keen to see how the iphone compared.

So iphone plugged in. First of all itunes says it needs updating... off it goes and d/l a new version of itunes, plus safari browser and some other apple bloatware. Then it backs up the iphone, then installs new os, then restores iphone. Whole process took about 2.5 hours i think, maybe slightly longer as we had tea and watched grand designs, eastenders plus about 3 other shows.

By now the missus can barely contain her excitement and refuses to come to bed until her phone has finished updating. So, its getting about 11.30 now, so i go to bed.

Next minute I hear a scream and think "christ, burgler". Rush downstairs with the baseball bat and the missus is going mad because all her iphone apps have vanished. She then manages restores all her apps to the phone by resyncing which takes a good while. Next problem is that all the apps seem to have been reset into alphabetical order when she had previously spend hours organising them in the order she wanted. Still, looks like its all finished now so we can go to sleep. Thank god.

This morning she gets her phone out to see what ios5 is all about and theres another scream. There goes my lie in. :( Turns out all her contacts have vanished. A bit of googling reveals other people have had the same problem and the solution seems to be to turn off the icloud syncing for contacts, plug it into itunes and resync it all yet again. This takes a little while so the missus is now anoyed cos shes late for work. But, luckily it seemed to work!

Now her phones back up and running, shes looking forward to seeing what iOS5 brings! And im looking forward to a bit of sleep!!! :thumbs:

In Apple's defence, I wouldnt like to be the techies that have to look after the update servers. I would hazzard a guess their peak connection rate is second to no other server(s) out there. When else do that many people try to connect at exactly the same time? But it does reiterate my point about them capping connections. The update itself is quite quick, the one this morning took no longer than half an hour from start of download to backup to being restored and functional. However last night it took an age as the server was so busy, and you can resume part way through, so if you fail during download, you have to redownload. Or more annoyingly, if you fail during validation, you have to redownload, backup and validate again all which takes about 15 mins at least! :rant:

After a quick bit of googling, I think theres some cool features that arent advertised. One nifty one is that you can now create new vibrate patterns and assign them to contacts. When my phone is on silent and in my pocket I can now tell who is calling - which is quite useful when on the bike as if its anyone other than Amanda or my old dear, I dont need to stop :lol:

finally all done.

My old bug bear with iphone, was that you couldnt organise your photo's directly on the phone. Theyve finally rectified that. :)

How do you do that vibration assignment Chris? I cannae find it.

finally all done.

My old bug bear with iphone, was that you couldnt organise your photo's directly on the phone. Theyve finally rectified that. :)

I didnt realise you couldnt organise your photos? Cant you just create folders and copy them into folders? On android it syncs automatically with google photos / picasa on the web.

That vibration assignment is very handy. Theres quite a few apps out there already which do that kind of thing - let you set your own vibrating patterns. :thumbs:

finally all done.

I didnt realise you couldnt organise your photos? Cant you just create folders and copy them into folders?

Previously you had to organise the folders on your PC, and then sync the phone to get them on the phone itself. It was very hit and miss and took me a bloody age to work out how to do it.

All done in 1hour 20mins, mind you our broadband speed here is pants, will have a poke around on the phone a bit later. :)

Plugged mine in at 11:17, need iTunes update first, we'll see what happens :thumbs:

Best part of 300mb update for iTunes, Safari and a security update :wacko:

Stolen from a quick Google:

How To Enable Custom Vibration Pattern in iOS 5

1. Open up the Settings app.

2. Click General.

3. Click Accessibility.

4. Scroll down to the Hearing section and switch Custom Vibrations on.

5. Now open up your Contacts app and select on contact.

6. Click edit.

7. Scroll down to vibration and choose any of the included Standard alerts or create a custom vibration pattern.

8. You will tap on the screen and then press stop when you are done. Pretty cool!

Before point 5, you can add the custom vibration when you turn on custom vibrations which you can then assign ;)

I am awake at Daft O'Clock to go and buy a 4S. Yes, I shall indeed be queueing with the rabid Apple fanboys today, just because I already had the day off work for other reasons and I've never been to a product launch. Wish me luck! :D

:lol::lol: Did actually laugh out loud, good luck with it all, my eldest stepdaughter is doing it via phone soon!!!!! We expect a full and comprehensive report as soon as you've got the thing sorted :)

I am awake at Daft O'Clock to go and buy a 4S. Yes, I shall indeed be queueing with the rabid Apple fanboys today, just because I already had the day off work for other reasons and I've never been to a product launch. Wish me luck! :D

Hmmm i un-jailbroke my iPhone to install ios5, the wifi synch is handy but most of the other 'features' i already had i.e. i had full lockscreen notifications with swipe and preview, i could read an email or sms without unlocking...

I like the double click camera feature, was that there before? I only remember double click ipod control :wacko:

Once it has been hacked I will be rejailbreaking as the update still does not allow personalisation and i miss some handy gadgets that are available via Cydia.

My update was fairly painless, I did loose all my contacts but just had to resync to get them back :thumbs:

Can you only do this if you jailbreak it? :shrug:

Hmmm i un-jailbroke my iPhone to install ios5, the wifi synch is handy but most of the other 'features' i already had i.e. i had full lockscreen notifications with swipe and preview, i could read an email or sms without unlocking...

I like the double click camera feature, was that there before? I only remember double click ipod control :wacko:

Once it has been hacked I will be rejailbreaking as the update still does not allow personalisation and i miss some handy gadgets that are available via Cydia.

My update was fairly painless, I did loose all my contacts but just had to resync to get them back :thumbs:

Got it :D

Just setting it up now. Tell you what though, I will definitely do another launch again, it was brilliant! I was number 7 in the queue after getting there at approx 6:40am for an 8am open, and I got chatting with another 4 or 5 chaps and we just had a right laugh over the whole thing, especially when the lady who was at the front of the queue (and had been since 5am) was clearly having difficulties getting her new phone. They only let 3 people in at once so while we were standing outside we could see but not hear what was going on, and this woman was getting more and more irate over the whole thing. 30 mins later they finally gave up and she left empty-handed, not looking particularly pleased :lol:

Definitely worth doing, it's a right geek-fest but all the more fun for it. Got free breakfast muffins and OJ too, which was nice.