iPhone 5- wow!!

LRF4N

Actually, thinking about this a bit more I think Apple are trying to do more here than just an incremental update to an existing product. I think they're actually trying to distance themselves from the tech race we've all grown accustomed to and are focusing more on the software side, which is clearly where the innovations are yet to be made.

Faster CPU, faster GPU, more storage, this is all stuff that any company can put together. The real interest is in what the software can do, and after essentially binning my Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the last couple of weeks because the OS is so incredibly flaky, there's no way I'm ever swapping an iOS phone for an Android one.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If apple had announced a phone with the same OS and specs as an iPhone 4 but with a funky new design people would be all over it saying it was amazing.

My contract is up so I'll be looking at either getting a 4S or moving to an android. I don't really care about the Tech race and I really hate the stupid rivalry that people have. I just want what works for me. My 3GS has been faultless unlike the HTCs I had previously... That to me creates brand loyalty.

Actually, thinking about this a bit more I think Apple are trying to do more here than just an incremental update to an existing product. I think they're actually trying to distance themselves from the tech race we've all grown accustomed to and are focusing more on the software side, which is clearly where the innovations are yet to be made.

Faster CPU, faster GPU, more storage, this is all stuff that any company can put together. The real interest is in what the software can do, and after essentially binning my Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the last couple of weeks because the OS is so incredibly flaky, there's no way I'm ever swapping an iOS phone for an Android one.

Have to agree. With the size of the screen, you really are limited to what you can do with a phone given unlimited resources, so theres no point having the power of a laptop in a phone. I dont really know what people expected Apple to do. Sure you can add more megapixels to the camera, but with a sensor so small it degrades the image quality even if its higher resolution. Quite a few SLRs took a step back in the MP race to get back better image quality if you look back over time. Having good software is where its at, and thats what Apple excel at. Its just a shame to get that good they feel they have to lock down the device so much. If only they'd open it up a bit it would be great, but they arent going to do that as people will abuse it and they will do anything to stop it.

I'll be keeping my 3GS and moving to GifGaf from my O2 contract. Goes over the same network, but I can spend £10/mo for the same txts/minutes/unltd internet I give O2 £40/mo for. Will also be moving my iPad to them for £5/mo as opposed to £10/mo (but with less bandwidth than O2)

The Google Nexus Prime looks like an alien communicator from another planet compared to that lame re-hash

Samsung-nexus-CTIA-power-1.jpg

Apple is really pushing the limits of milking its following for every penny... If it's all about the software just keep your existing phones and install iOS5 (woo-hoo, notifications just like Android had in 2008)

I'll be keeping my 3GS and moving to GifGaf from my O2 contract. Goes over the same network, but I can spend £10/mo for the same txts/minutes/unltd internet I give O2 £40/mo for. Will also be moving my iPad to them for £5/mo as opposed to £10/mo (but with less bandwidth than O2)

For me thats another key factor in the equation. The costs. When ever I upgrade I look to get the best value for money as well the phone with the most features, best practicality and best reviews. Its not easy choice sometimes. But, when you look at the costs, with the iphone you have to pay loads more.

I upgraded one of my work phones a few weeks back and I narrowed it down to either the Galaxy S2, which was FREE, on a £20 a month tarriff. (Apparently you can get the same deal now for £15 a month.) Or, the IPhone 4, which id have to pay £60 and be on a £45 a month tarriff. I looked at the specs side by side and checked out endless reviews on the internet. Comparing ease of use, functionality, specs, battery life, talk time, features, audio quality and from my perspective technically and specification wise, the Galaxy s2 was better. Even if the iPhone had been better, I would have really found it very hard to justify actually having to pay for the phone, then pay well over double the montly amount for the same tarriff.

For existing iPhone customers the choice must be even harder, as like Chris says, you can keep your existing iPhone, move networks and get the same tarriff for £10 a month! Compare that against what the new phone will cost to buy & per month. Big difference.

For me thats another key factor in the equation. The costs. When ever I upgrade I look to get the best value for money as well the phone with the most features, best practicality and best reviews. Its not easy choice sometimes. But, when you look at the costs, with the iphone you have to pay loads more.

My Dads company got given a pile of iPhones for free from his company mobile provider. There are deals out there.

He went from announcing to me that he was getting a 'swishy flicky phone' as he had no idea what it was to being an iphoneaholic in months. The fact that he can tend to emails and business on it 24/7 is a huge benefit to him. So much so that he bought an Ipad so he can do it all on a bigger screen and when he's travelling. Ok, emails etc can be done on most phones but he wasn't given another one for free....

Comparing specs doesn't really hold water, as IOS runs much faster than the bloated Android OS on the same specs.... Like Mac OS and Windows...

And Megapixels do not make a good camera.

I actually think this new camera sounds amazing, it goes down to f2.4 which is a huge aperture for a cameraphone, kit lenses on DSLR's usually only go to 3.5! (lower number is better ;) )

My mrs has an Android phone with Dual Core processor, and it is not faster than my ancient 3GS ;)

I agree, an f stop that low compared with a better lens array should give some great pics and be less grainy/noisy in low light too.

I'm intrigued to see the Siri thing working, my previous experience with voice commands haen't been great, but this looks amazying. Spending a lot of time in the car, having messages read out loud and being able to dictate messages is pretty special.

A bit gutted I have a year left on my contract, but at least OS5 will be a good improvement. Maybe my contract will expire in time for the 5!!

, my previous experience with voice commands haen't been great, but this looks amazying. Spending a lot of time in the car, having messages read out loud and being able to dictate messages is pretty special.

Voice control does work quite well I found on my android, and is great when you are driving. But I had 2 problems with it.

a) Makes you feel a bit self conscious that you are "talking" to your phone. Makes you feel like "knight rider". I kept wanting to call the phone "KITT".

B) Sort of made me wonder why would you spend ages dictating a text message or email to your phone so it can automatically send it to someone when you can just phone the person up directly and tell them the message. I guess some people just dont like talking to people on their phone?

, my previous experience with voice commands haen't been great, but this looks amazying. Spending a lot of time in the car, having messages read out loud and being able to dictate messages is pretty special.

Voice control does work quite well I found on my android, and is great when you are driving. But I had 2 problems with it.

a) Makes you feel a bit self conscious that you are "talking" to your phone. Makes you feel like "knight rider". I kept wanting to call the phone "KITT".

B) Sort of made me wonder why would you spend ages dictating a text message or email to your phone so it can automatically send it to someone when you can just phone the person up directly and tell them the message. I guess some people just dont like talking to people on their phone?

Haha, that's true. I would feel quite daft using it in public I think!!

That's a valid point too, but unfortunatley organising the hockey team involves texting 12-20 people the same thing. Definitely wouldn't want to call them all!

Corrected that for you Chris ;)

Having good software is where its at, and thats what Apple excel at. Its just a shame to get that good they feel they have to lock down the device so much. If only they'd open it up a bit it would be great, but they arent going to do that as they won't make as much money from apps and music

Nice heads-up on Gifgaf, I'll take a look - my better half needs some 3G connectivity for her ipad....

A nugget of info - I read today that it's estimated that each iOS devices is loaded with £60 worth of apps and tunes.

I'm not an apple fan, for various reasons but it does look like nowadays (at least with phones/tablets) you get comparable technical specs to the competition for the pricepoint.

Nice heads-up on Gifgaf, I'll take a look - my better half needs some 3G connectivity for her ipad....

If she ends up using them, drop me a PM and I'll let you know my member number. You can say I refered you and I get some points and I think you do too. The only problem I've found so far (not made the jump just yet) is that to get the good deals you have to buy goody bags. These give you the free net/txts/mins for a month. When that is up you need to buy another. Now you can queue one GB up after your current one but thats it. So each month you have to remember to go queue them. The are meant to be bring in auto-GB but this has been in progress for like a year or more so far. I think they are not going to do it as they will make a good chunk of dosh from those that run out of GB and revert to the paid for mins/txt/internet :thumbdown: Still to get the mins/txt/net that I use for a tenna rather than £40, cant go wrong!

If you sign up for giffgaff through quidco then they give you a load of money for doing so. (i did it last week!)

Not really "loads of money":

Details

- Get a free SIM card from Giff Gaff and get cashback

- If you activate your SIM card with £10 credit you will also get £4 cashback

But better than a slap in the face I'll grant you.

If she ends up using them, drop me a PM and I'll let you know my member number

Excellent, thanks Chris. The GB thing sounds like a ball-ache but not a deal breaker :thumbs:

If you sign up for giffgaff through quidco then they give you a load of money for doing so. (i did it last week!)

Not really "loads of money":

Details

- Get a free SIM card from Giff Gaff and get cashback

- If you activate your SIM card with £10 credit you will also get £4 cashback

But better than a slap in the face I'll grant you.

Well they are hardly likely to give you hundreds of pounds just for buying a ten quid top-up are they?

But, to get 40% back is not a bad deal! I think you also get £1 for requesting the sim from them in the first place.

Best one of those hitler ones was when he finds out his xbox live account is closed down...

I saw the 'Hitler hears about the new Star Wars blu rays', and had tea coming down my nose! :lol:

They are brilliant! Im still laughing at the iphone 4 one.

"what did you want my fuhrur?"

"i wanted magic"

:lol:

So..... with only a few days to go... who will be upgrading on the 12th.... and who will wait a few day and keep an eye out on the Apple forums to see if any problems arise?

Some of the Beta's that were out did have some "problems"

:snack:

Not me, my contract isn't due yet :) I never jump straight in with new stuff anyhow, much prefer the problems to get ironed out first :)

So..... with only a few days to go... who will be upgrading on the 12th.... and who will wait a few day and keep an eye out on the Apple forums to see if any problems arise?

Some of the Beta's that were out did have some "problems"

:snack: