80mph on the motorways?

coldel

I am all for that :thumbs: ..... but I dont quite see how it will "boot the economy", lets face it most of the drivers on the motorways do between 75 and 80, the police dont pull you over for doing 80 mph (unless they are really bored). If thats the excuse they are going to use to raise the limit then crack on :lol:

I am all for that :thumbs: ..... but I dont quite see how it will "boot the economy", lets face it most of the drivers on the motorways do between 75 and 80, the police dont pull you over for doing 80 mph (unless they are really bored). If thats the excuse they are going to use to raise the limit then crack on :lol:

lol the police pull you up here for doing 75 sometimes. I couldnt believe it when I was in london and a car went by me at well over the speed limit, and then over took the place at said speed. Police didnt blink an eye. :scare: Up here you will get your pants pulled down and the kosh rammed well and truely up it.

I've said before this is the best idea out there. Is it France where the motorway speed limit is about this high but when it rains it reverts to a lower speed? We should have a set speed of 80mph and if it rains/snows/ice it should be dropped lower. 80mph is enough, to keep people happy and then anyone who breaks this limit has no excuse. Make it 80mph and enforce it to prevent the "unofficial" limit climbing to 90mph with the same issue we have now.

About bloody time!!

Wish they'd take a view of the Germans though, I'd quite like sections to be unrestricted, but then again we a can't build roads so there's no point having unrestricted roads cos the bumps potholes and sections of Tarmac missing are atrocious. I've just come back home via the M6 and you have to swerve to miss the poor state of the Tarmac.

I so miss driving in Europe, we drive on probably the worst roads in Europe!!

I think Forza have the right idea with dividing cars into performance classes tbh :p . From the few times i've had to seriously slow down from motorway speeds in the Zed it was clear it was no issue at all and could have slowed far faster than whatever was in front. When comparing to my mum's 1.4 corsa, it's just rediculous that they have the same limitations on the road; having the ABS on the corsa kicking in at 65 (HGV pulling out, ta mate :drive1 ) and it pretty much not stopping was terrifying. The rules of the road really have to be written for the lowest common denominator because the government (probably correctly) assume that they can't trust people to drive within the limits of their cars and ability unless they legally have to.

That said, a friend of mine who is a traffic officer (he's never been in the Zed) has said many times that he'd never pull someone over for doing 80 or even 85 in a 70 if they aren't being stupid or dangerous, and it seems to be the unofficial police standpoint already that low speed limits on big roads are pointless because you can still drive like a complete tit at 55.

DB

Right now you'll almost always get away with 85 assuming you aren't tailgating.

an 80 limit would likely mean this would stil be true at 90.

I tend to cruise at 92.. IE 6 points not a ban.. But keep my eyes open. This kind of ruling would be superb.

But it's fair to say that the dickweed in the middle lane doing 60 is by far the most pressing issue. People don't seem to understand that lanes 2 and 3 are overtaking lanes in this country. In holland or germany it's illegal to consistantly use the wrong lane. UK driving manners* are atrocious (as are our roads) compared to almost everywhere else in Europe.

*Other than Belgians. Obviously.

Was chatting about this with the wife on the way home - she didnt even notice the speeds I was at when overtaking on motorways, cars nowadays are better controlled, better at braking and generally better than cars of years ago when the speed limits were introduced. Is it speed that kills or is it the wally behind the wheel? I would say in a majority of cases its your numpty who tail gates and undertakes that causes more accidents than someone who cruises at 80 on the outside lane...

In all honesty the 80mph will just mean people cruise at 90mph.

People who are screaming at their kids in the back of the car, while applying lippy and updating their facebook status on their iphone while driving along.........

The only way it will boost economy is because the cars will be burning more fuel so lining the government pockets with the tax on fuel!

Lower the limit to 60, save the planet and relax! It's the way forward! :)

As much as it would be good, it would just mean that people would break that rule and go over 80 and properly do more to 90+ which will become dangerous. Before we can increase the limits on our roads, especially on the motorways I think people should learn how to drive properly and more appropriate on the road.

People who are screaming at their kids in the back of the car, while applying lippy and updating their facebook status on their iphone while driving along.........

The only way it will boost economy is because the cars will be burning more fuel so lining the government pockets with the tax on fuel!

Hi there. I'm quite new. I'm going to go ahead and assume here..

4420fb84_archon68_do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

Because if this is a legit post. What are you doing on this forum? :)

:scare:

I think you need to meet Stew before assuming anything about his driving. I fully recommend the Jockland Hoon next time around - that should give you a good indication of how he likes to drive :drive1:lol:

Depends on where you live. I got done last year for doing 82mph in a 70mph zone. I was on a fast dual carriageway, overtaking a lorry and I had a massive long queue of cars up my ass waiting for me to pull in so they can speed by me.

Unfortunately I still got done for it. 3 points and fine. That was before I got my zed and as a result of having those 3 points my insurance went up immediately by 30%.

I do that same bit of road every day and 99.9% of vehicles on it are doing 80mph+, so that particular day the cops must have made a killing. Im really surprised they arent parked up there every day with the numbers of speeders they could get.

that and the number of posts stew has!

I wouldnt have thought raising the limits would have caused that many cars to cruise at 90... certainly smaller hatchbacks and the like are pretty unsociable above 70, as to sustain 90 they'd be screaming along at 5000rpm in 5th, which would begin to grate after a while.

My number one gripe is lane discipline on motorways, especially those who hog the middle lane so there is a queue of cars in the outside lane overtaking it. I am guilty of cruising along in the outside lane, but normally thats because its a fast cruise, and im always watching mirrors to see if someone going even faster wants to get past.

how accurate are most cars speedos these days? because if the usual +10% +2mph is kept, cars would have to doing a true 90 before they were stopped, which with speedos normally being wrong by a fair few percent, would be an indicated 95-100mph?

also, the only way to have a relaxed drive on a motorway is either to be the slowest thing on the motorway (gf did this on the way back to wales - did an indicated 50, and never over took anything) or the fastest (cruising along at 85-90 - never have to move out the fast lane)

Its only if you're caught up in the middle that you'll have to deal with other motorway users!

Have driven often in Europe,the lane discipline is much better than here,have driven at over 130mph in Germany,never had to brake heavy while some idiot trundles along in the overtaking lane.Also noticed that on the Autobahn they drive with lights on whatever the conditions presumably so you can be seen easily in the rear view mirrors.

4420fb84_archon68_do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

I can assure you I'm not a troll. I'm on this forum as I've owned a 350Z for over 5 years (since age 23) and I've owned RWD cars since I was 20. I'm here because I love the Zed, I like a lot of the people here and since I'm a mod I have access to the 'company' lap dancing account.

I stand by my statement although the bit about reducing the limit was a little tongue in cheek. ;)

If the limit is raised the people will still drive at 10mph aove the limit. You have said you drive at 22mph over the limit. You still would, so you'd be travelling at 3 figure speeds.

Because the limit is raised doesn't mean people will suddenly start paying attention to the road, they'll still be distracted by their kids, reps will still be distracted by their mobiles and lorries will still be overtaking lorries at 56 mph.

People will still do 80mph (or 90) when the road conditions are not suitable to be travelling at those speeds because they think that the speed limit is a minimum or an 'aim' and not a maximum.

Now, I live somewhere with no motorway network. I have to drive 90 miles before I get on an 'M' road so maybe I'm not the most educated in their use. I do however use 'proper' roads daily. Ones with corners, straights, tractors, no lighting and sometimes no road markings, overtaking that has to be done into the oncoming traffic lane. You know the type of road, they are known as 'fun' roads in a lot of places. Roads that require savvy to negotiate daily.

There is no denying the environmental aspect of it, the government is taxing the crap out of gas guzzlers and keep banging on about carbon footprint etc. I'm sure that we'd all agree that doing 80mph would reduce our mpg over doing 70mph so the government would have to answer some serious questions from the greenies.

So thats my non troll answer.

Oh and for anyone that thinks I'm some kind of greenie or total slow coach I'll say I own a modded 350Z, a Navara that does 20mpg and a 1046cc sporty motorcycle. I'm not Miss Daisys chauffeur but I'm certainly not Jenson Button. ;):lol::lol:

Hopefully that clears up my felings so you know I'm not trolling.

Raising the speed limit is not the answer. 99% of the country needs to be educated on how to use a motorway/dual carriageway. Driving on motorways is terrible, people are not taught and they never learn and it totally winds me up.

Personally think the standard test should NOT cover motorway driving and that pass plus should be compulsory in order to drive on the motorway network.

A little education before these people become such jumped up, angry, middle lane cruising dangerous idiots - would be one hell of a thing.

I think that in addition to a limit raise would work well. Though, what to do about all the current road users? Force everyone to take a written test at the very least perhaps?

Dave

I think you need to meet Stew before assuming anything about his driving. I fully recommend the Jockland Hoon next time around - that should give you a good indication of how he likes to drive :drive1:lol:

Tongue in cheek post from me really ;):)

Tongue in cheek post from me really ;):)

I was just pulling your leg too - and getting a plug in for the Hoon :drive1

Ultimately I think this is long overdue. The 70mph speed limit is about 40 years out of date.

The problem on the roads is peoples general lack of consideration for others on the roads, and I have noticed that, if anything, the driving has slowed down generally, compared to say 15 years ago.

As a consequence I think there is MORE frustration on the roads as frankly there is too many people pratting around in their own little world, without care or consequence. I believe this is the issue that needs address by the police!

My only other concern is HGV drivers, this will potentially increase the gap in speed further between what they are governed at and the speed limit for other road users

Sorry for the rant, but I hate the British roads too crowded and poor road manors generally

:angry: