Newbie from Bournemouth

Hi guys,

I picked up a 54 plate Zed in Azure blue about two months ago and I haven't been able to keep the grin off my face since! :yahoo:

I'll get some pictures up when I get a chance to properly clean it (I know it's a bit of a cardinal sin not to have given it a full once over yet but with the weather being so crap everytime it's good I end up driving it instead :blush: )

This is my first RWD car (last car is 172 clio) so still getting used to it and itching to turn the ESP off. But, after the first day of owning when in the wet (damp really!) I pretty much 180'ed it on a roundabout at less than 30 mph with the ESP on :scare: (luckily it was a 2 lane roundabout) I'm a little bit wary! Clearly, the best way is going to be lots more driving to figure it out ;)

On the slight downside I've got a 'jingling' noise coming from rear driver side. I've read about the clicky axle problem, but this is a definite 'jingle', not click and seems to continue up through the gears. I can't see anything that looks loose from a quick look underneath, anyone got any ideas?

This forum has already given me the fix to my boot not opening properly with the penny (or in this case B&Q 1/2" washer) trick :thumbs: I'm hoping that the above would also be a fix involving washers so that I can use up the remaining ones in the packet, but somehow I suspect not! :lol:

Cheers,

Rick

Welcome!

if its your first rwd car and you're a keen driver, i would recommend getting some driver training to be more aware of controlling a slide should the worst happen.

Or alternatively, take it down a track, turn the ESP off and see what happens. Other than that just take it easy in the wet - go into corners slow, neutral throttle round the corner, and then feed in the power once you're on the straight. its obvious really, but i managed to spin my first rwd car within a couple of months of ownership as well. havent spun since, so its lesson learned!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and girls! Definitely a really friendly place to be :D

The tyres are Bridgestone Potenza RE050 with about 5mm front and 4 back. From looking around the forum it seems that a lot of people recommend Falkens so that was probably what I was going to replace them with.. Although, I'm debating getting another set of wheels and putting Winter tyres on one set given that this is a daily driver for me and the last two winters being somewhat interesting :lol:

Definitely think some driver training is in order to ensure I can make the most of my pride and joy. In a weird way, it was good that it happened early on (and obviously without incident) as it gave me an early warning that I'm going to have to be a little more careful! Still I was shocked how little warning there was, but I guess the road was probably quite greasy and my inexperience with RWD would also have been the reasons for that...

Buster/Keyser, I'll definitely take you guys up on your offer and pop up to Ferndown so that you can have a quick at some point if that's OK? Maybe PM when is good for you? :teeth:

SwanageDave, Next time I'm in Swanage I'll definitely give you a shout :thumbs:

Cheers,

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update...

I met Buster and Keyser on Thursday and it appears that my jingling noise is in fact the clicky axle problem :angry: Still doesn't sound like a click to me so apparently all those people that told me that listening to thrash metal really loud would damage my ears were right after all :lol: (they weren't right about it being sh*te)..

So no need for the video it seems (thx for the idea though Vik :D ); defo gonna have to get it sorted when I've got the money as it's really annoying and I can't tell whether people are looking cause they like the car or cause they're wondering why a morris dancer is trapped under the wheels!!

Thx again to Buster and Keyser for taking the time to look over my Zed. Really great blokes and owners of a couple of stunning Zeds as well :thumbs: Only trouble is seeing the Ginger Ninja and Keysers' mental SC Zed plants expensive ideas for mine.. Thx fellas :dry::teeth:

Cheers,

Rick