Recommend a broadband provider?

coldel

OK, just settling into the new house, need to get wireless broadband up and running.

I tried Sky and they told me I have to switch to their phone line to get their broadband, pretty disgusted with that actually and pretty anti-competitive.

So any other options?

I had Virgin for BB when I was in my uni house going through cable (so not ADSL through a telephone line) and found them very good, when I moved house and used them through a telephone line the service was very very very slow not even 1Mb/s, I was told it was my exchange. I found them so bad I switched to fast.co.uk and I have never looked back since as I was getting 7+ Mb/s after, I have been using fast.co.uk for a while now and I cant fault them apart from the price.

If you can get cable, I'd go for Virgin. If you can't and are stuck with ADSL, then I'd go for BT Infinity. No other decent options that I can see right now.

That said, I'm with Be and their customer service is simply without equal. Up to 24Mb speeds too if your line supports it.

this link will help, tells you who's available in you area

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

personally I had been with virgin for years, good speeds, reliable, expensive,

since last year been with talktalk, good speeds, reliable, cheap

like I said this is my personal experience, might be worth checking what your bt line will support in terms of speed, if you live quite close to an exchange then no point in paying virgins prices imo

Have to agree BE are pretty damn amazing with there custoemr service and good relaible speeds to match. :thumbs:

If you can get cable, I'd go for Virgin. If you can't and are stuck with ADSL, then I'd go for BT Infinity. No other decent options that I can see right now.

That said, I'm with Be and their customer service is simply without equal. Up to 24Mb speeds too if your line supports it.

If you want cable go for Virgin. If you want ADSL then go O2 or Sky. Sky doesn't require you to be on their phone line, I'm sure of it.

If you download a lot, then Virgin/Sky are the best as O2 has a cap and restrictions on whenyou can download. Sky is unlimited 24/7. Virgin is capped unless you get the top package I think.

Also, checkout topcashback/quidco for Virgin/Sky/O2, they normally have HUGE cashback on them making it very cheap internet for the year!

Spoke with Sky, they said I must switch to their phone line, you cant have their broadband otherwise.

Also, as we are in a new house, we have a new BT line, so are tied into a contract I think - so can't switch to another line anyway... :scare:

Check with that, when we moved to our new house we got the landlord to terminate everything. Changing the phoneline to Sky saved us money on the line rental and unlimited downloads was win win. Depends what you're after though! I wouldn't get Sky internet if I didn't have Sky TV.

Spoke with Sky, they said I must switch to their phone line, you cant have their broadband otherwise.

Also, as we are in a new house, we have a new BT line, so are tied into a contract I think - so can't switch to another line anyway... :scare:

if youve just moved in quite likely you'l need the bt line activating - bt can do this or most of the other service providers can arrange this for you also (sometimes cheaper than bt). you will be tied into a contract by whoever activates your line (generally 12months)

talktalk are connecting new lines for free at the moment then £20.30p/m for bb and e&wkend calls http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/new-lines