370 Roadster - A simple sailors review

Lexx

Well, my big daft V8 went bye bye yesterday, and with nothing to replace it at the moment, and still having some errands to run, Toby (EH 370) kindly lobbed me the keys of their Demonstrator and said have fun (red rag.....bull.....some to mind).

MY11

Black Rose

Connect Premium

GT Pack

Toby's first words were to apologise for the pi** poor valet the washerboy had given it. And I gotta say I was underwhelmed by the colour initially.

I dropped myself into the drivers seat, and set about making myself comfortable.

Im 6ft 2", so like with most cars, getting comfortable means putting the seat ALL the way back. And the 370 is no different. However I did discover that it doesnt go back quite as far as I'd like. Extra few inches would have been perfect, but alas they werent available.

As I write this, please bare in mind that I have been out of a Zed for 14 months, and driving an Aussie Behamoth. So getting into the 370, and sitting so low to the ground was somewhat of a shock. Though it quickly rekindled my memories of the 350.

Love having the start button. Not so keen on the lack of sound to let you know that the engine has started. Just like the 350, the car is too quiet in OEM guise. :shrug: But, I can see why that would appeal to the mass market.

Off I went for a short dual carriageway hop to the local DVLA centre. Top down, sun shining, and generally feeling smug.

After getting to the DVLA I had discovered another point I don't like....or do I? Its hard to decide. The accelerator. It's hinged at the bottom, and it did take some getting used to. And I admit, after a few hours, and some spirited driving, I did like it. What I dont like is that chunk of plastic on the floor at its base. My converse kepy slipping off it! This resulted in some jerky acceleration fora while. I did learn to drive around it, but I still came a cropper of it at times.

This car had no matts fitted, do matts cover this plastic? I hope so.

I took some of my favourite back roads home from the DVLA, and was able to open up the car.

Crikey. Its 110bhp down on my HSV, but weighs a chunk less, and it shows. Acceleration, whilst not brutal like the HSV, is deffinately rapid and fun. I can see why Chris'I liked the uprev remap to give the car WOT in the lower gears, as I thought the car suffered from this like my 350 did.

During this drive, I discovered the car was fitted with synchro-Rev. I hadnt been paying much attention on the intially part of the drive earlier, but now on twisty B roads, it proved to be quite a tool. Some would see it takes away the prowess of being able to hell and toe. But I dont care. Love it.

Next complaint about the car is about the pedal positions. They feel like they are offset just a little too much to the right. And there isnt enough space to comfortably place your foot onto the foot rest from the clutch. I have wide feet, and rapidly doscovered that I would quickly wear through the carpet against the centre consol as I had to scrape my foot down it each time.

Connect Premium - undecided. I liked it at time. But I thought the functionalitly with my iphone4 severly limited. I'd have to play around more with it to decide.

So. Would I have one?

No. I couldnt live with a rag-top.

BUT I would certainly buy a coupe should I have the cash available.

Anyways....pics....

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

I cleaned off a small section, and applied some Purple Haze to see how it came up.... B)

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

We'll get you back to give the next Coupe Demo a go!

If you are very lucky - we have a Pixo you can have a go of too! you can then give Clarkson a full run for his money :lol::lol:

Great job of the pictures too, as I have said, the Black Rose is a very hard colour to photo accurately, to appreciate the colour fully :thumbs:

Rear vision with the roadster hood up is probably more restricted than the coupe I suspect.

I say that as I am also some 6'2" tall and although I don't have the pedal issues Lexx found, even with the squab being at its lowest setting and the rear of the seat reclined as far as comfortable reach allows, the rear view vision through the hatch from the mirror is restricted by the black window surround. Which means I have to crouch down to see the top half of following cars which for obvious reasons is not ideal. Japanese designers forgot we not all short arses :lol:

Maybe the roadster has reduced seat travel compared to the coupe that gave you the cramped feeling Al?

Japanese designers forgot we not all short arses :lol:

All the important people are - dont know what you two are moaning about :lol:

Totally agree with everything Al says. I dont mind the floor mounted pedal now, but I dont have the manual so dont want or need to heel-toe, I think it would annoy me if I did. Equally I dont have the pedal position problem as I only have 2 pedals :lol: Cant say I noticed it when I had a go in Colins or the demo car I had though. I do have small feet though.

I cleaned off a small section, and applied some Purple Haze to see how it came up.... B)

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

You geek :notworthy::clap::lol:

I only do such things for you guys Vik ;)

I think the pedal issue for me is likely cos I have wide feet. :shrug:

It wasnt overly annoying as such, I was just concerned that eventually I would wear out that section of carpet.

But that plastic chunk at the accelerator - now that is an issue. Absolute pain in the ar** tbh.

Sounds very very similar to the roadster I have just purchased!

My only complaints so far are that I feel that the clutch pedal is too high - currently about 5mm higher than brake pedal - currently looking for my 12mm spanner to make a few adjustments and that there is no way to update the navigation system other than wait to see if Nissan will produce something more up to date!

The other mod that is in transit to me - a reversing camera! There is NO rearward view

regards

Andrew

Its unbelievable that there is no rev camera option on any of the 370Z range. :please:

where as the "Kit" is on practically everything else in the range (the Connect being the same in the XTRAIL with camera, Pathfinder with camera, Navara with camera and a commercial vehicle, Juke and Qashqai) and its not got anything to do with "Styling either"

Wish I had the answer :shrug:

Its unbelievable that there is no rev camera option on any of the 370Z range. :please:

where as the "Kit" is on practically everything else in the range (the Connect being the same in the XTRAIL with camera, Pathfinder with camera, Navara with camera and a commercial vehicle, Juke and Qashqai) and its not got anything to do with "Styling either"

Do Nissan ever seek any feedback from dealers or go so far as ask their customers. Compared to Honda who regularly send out stuff on our other car and seeking opinions I get absolutely nothing from Nissan...... :shrug:

Do Nissan ever seek any feedback from dealers or go so far as ask their customers. Compared to Honda who regularly send out stuff on our other car and seeking opinions I get absolutely nothing from Nissan...... :shrug:

No.

I have worked for a good few manufactures over the years, and Nissan are by far the most faceless.

They have these weird blogs, but nothing relevant to constructive feedback on product, which would undoubtedly result in being perceived as "Negative"

Such a shame, as the few people I have met are really nice people to be fair. I can only assume that the big choices are made aboard or something, and these guys over here, have little influence over any product related feedback. :shrug:

Reversing camera is now included as part of Connect Premium as of MY11 cars ;)

As embassaring as that is to learn, it does kinda prove my point, surely we should have be appraised of this first?

NMGB have done nothing other than push the extra stock of MY2010's all year and this is the only focus we have had TBH :blush:

I have just spent quite a while digging around on the NMGB Intranet, and found this little gem (below)

Apologises for my lack on insight into this, all we have been told was, the GT Edition was on the cards for 2011MY :surrender:

Running Change: 370Z MY2011

We would like to inform you about a running change within the 370Z range. For differentiation reason we will refer to the wording of MY2011

for versions after the running change. The technical changes are already known and carried over from the just recently announced Special Version

"GT Edition" and are now standard on all newly ordered MY2011 vehicles. All MY2011 vehicles have new order codes.

Key features for the 370Z MY2011 (as known from GT Edition):

MY11 Current 370Z range (MY10)

Connect Premium Rear View Camera

Rear View Camera with Connect Premium

(similar to other models with Connect Premium, e.g. Murano, X-Trail, Pathfinder)

SNOW Mode

Setup switch to limit the amount of throttle in slippery road conditions for better grip and handling

(only available for Automatic)

Body paints

New: Gun Metallic (KAD) available

Replacing

Twilight Grey (K51) not available

Suspension

New Shock absorber setting developed by NTC-Europe following road tests in UK, GER, FRA – resulting in more comfort, better handling at high speed & better grip

TPMS

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

(warning lamp when pressure is too low)

Line up

The line up for Coupe and Roadster is unchanged, only the already announced GT Edition adds to the line up for Coupe.

Interior trim

No changes to the interior trim.

Pricing

Prices for the 370Z MY2011 have been increased by £800 to reflect the new product features and are now as followed:

- Starting price COUPE from £29,950 OTR incl. RFT

- Starting price ROADSTER from £32,050 OTR incl. RFT

- Automatic gearbox surcharge increased by £50 due to introduction of Snow Mode

- Connect Premium increased by £200 due to introduction of rear view camera

- Pricing for GT Edition as announced in the Product Bulletin from 13/06/2011 (£35,000 for MT / £36,450 for AT)

Focus Model GT Edition

GT Edition has a price advantage of £550 (= metallic paint surcharge) compared to an equivalent 370Z MY2011 GT Pack with

Connect Premium. Moreover, it offers unique dark grey 19" wheels and side decals for this price. This makes GT Edition our Focus Model with

a clear price advantage (free metallic paint) and outstanding visual features, available in one exclusive colour and the best selling colours black and white. Our production pipeline will reflect this as well and the focus model will have faster availability over comparable GT Pack with Connect.

Premium versions.

To make it clear: Customers are still able to order GT Pack with Connect Premium in white or black but on a built-to-order basis only.

I find the best way to see what is coming is to browse the US forums for new features then ask contacts at NMGB when we are going to get them. Was like pulling teeth when finding out about the 40th version, I knew more than NMGB :lol: