Thinking of selling the Zed

greasemonkey1234

Hi Guys and Gals,

After nearly 3 years of awesomeness :drive1 I am thinking of selling the Zed due to house move and longer to commute. The thing is what do you replace it with :headhurt:

I need something equally fun but a tad more frugal. I've thought about the following:

1) An S2000 but not really that much of an improvement on frugality as you need to thrash it to get anywhere

2) A VW GTi but costs a fortune to find one with reasonable mileage

3) A Scoob Impreza - not really that much of an improvement frugality wise.

4) VX220 / Elise - will be in the garage every other week, Georgie the lab wont like the seats.

5) Cooper S JCW - Has the frugality but I have worries about the gearbox

Argh the list is endless......

Has anyone got any ideas?

Al

How frugal do you need to be?

What body shape are you looking for?

How much coin do you have to spend?

This list you've given is pretty ridiculous when you look at your original statement! :doh: You've basically listed the least frugal, impractical, expensive to buy/run/repair cars you could think of! :lol:

1) An S2000 but not really that much of an improvement on frugality as you need to thrash it to get anywhere

Had one and it was better on fuel than the 350Z

2) A VW GTi but costs a fortune to find one with reasonable mileage

3) A Scoob Impreza - not really that much of an improvement frugality wise.

if driven out side the turbo then not bad on fuel, but if you drive it properly its worse by a long shot

4) VX220 / Elise - will be in the garage every other week, Georgie the lab wont like the seats.

my mate had the VX220turbo, as far as i remember it never really had any issues, and only went in to the garage to make it go faster

5) Cooper S JCW - Has the frugality but I have worries about the gearbox

The cooper S is pretty solid car, not heard many issues with the gear box, but then never looked into them too much.

I plan to sell mine this time next year and I know already what cars I will consider replacing it with.

For me, coming from a Golf GT TDI, I would seriously consider another one. You can get a 170bhp mk5 version which will return you 60+mpg (from my experience), whilst being fun and comfortable to drive. Maintenance wise, having owned a mk4 for 4 or 5 years, its very cheap to look after and no major problems.

Another option I would toy with is the Subaru Impreza - also on your list. Purely because they offer very cheap performance. 3 of my mates have them and they are easy to work on (they do all the work themselves) and you can get mega power cheap. One mate has a 1999 one with around 300bhp and the entire car stands him at £2000. One of his mates has one with 727bhp (30->130mph in 6.5seconds), and whilst ive no idea what that cost him, he built it all in his garden shed using a lot of 2nd hand bits, so i doubt its cost him mega money. Of course whilst its MOT`d and street legal, its not a practical every day runner, but you know what im saying. Lots of potential.

My cooper s jcw had a new gearbox at 23k miles, new clutch and flywheel, steering rack, power steering pump and exhaust... All under warranty though.

Awesome car though and very very fast when the supercharger/intercooler is played with :lol:

My cooper s jcw had a new gearbox at 23k miles, new clutch and flywheel, steering rack, power steering pump and exhaust... All under warranty though.

Awesome car though and very very fast when the supercharger/intercooler is played with :lol:

Sadly though, like any car it also comes to a complete standstill when 'interfacing' with a lampost :shrug:

Sadly though, like any car it also comes to a complete standstill when 'interfacing' with a lampost :shrug:

Haha it never died though :headhurt:

It lived but needed new suspension, arms, door, seat+airbag, sideskirt and 2 wheels. Total bill 4.7k :scare:

S2000. With a few tweaks one of the most fun cars i've owned. If you buy an elise/vx220 or a Mini i'll never talk to you again! I'll talk you out of them on Saturday.

agreed +1000

S2000 was possibly one of the best cars I've owned to date, smiles per miles value excellent

Thanks for the input guys.

I realisitcally dont want to spend too much, so really the trade in on the Zed circa £6500, I guess.

I would like something that won't need too much spending it on, but is frugal when crusing. I guess the S2000 is an option as Japex are fairly knowledgable about servicing :thumbs:

I realisitcally dont want to spend too much, so really the trade in on the Zed circa £6500, I guess.

I would like something that won't need too much spending it on, but is frugal when crusing. I guess the S2000 is an option as Japex are fairly knowledgable about servicing :thumbs:

Am I missing something? The S2000 is about the same as a Zed (there or there abouts) isn't it? Group 19/20 insurance, Honda parts prices (Nissanish?), Service interval pretty similar, MPG pretty similar, needs to be thrashed for it to move?

I've used an RX8 (same horrible thrashy torqueless style) for motorway cruising mate......soul destroying lack of torque.

If you want thrills and economy your seriously restricted - dare I say it.....Audi TT.

Am I missing something? The S2000 is about the same as a Zed (there or there abouts) isn't it? Group 19/20 insurance, Honda parts prices (Nissanish?), Service interval pretty similar, MPG pretty similar, needs to be thrashed for it to move?

I've used an RX8 (same horrible thrashy torqueless style) for motorway cruising mate......soul destroying lack of torque.

If you want thrills and economy your seriously restricted - dare I say it.....Audi TT.

s2000 doesn't feel as gutless as the RX8, higher insurance than the zed, but i could get 35 mpg out of the s2k on a long drive. and being able to take the roof down just adds to the fun factor, which is why it is so much better than the rx8. as for parts i never had to buy any as it never broke, unlike my zed, which always seemed to have niggles.

I had a go in an S2000 a few years ago, did about 10 miles on mainly country lanes. At that time I had a Celica 190 and it certainly had a lot more poke than that, although I didn't push it as the owner was sitting next to me :) . I thought it was a pretty good car, miles better than the 180 Audi TT Caroline used to have. :thumbs:

Pete

s2000 doesn't feel as gutless as the RX8, higher insurance than the zed, but i could get 35 mpg out of the s2k on a long drive. and being able to take the roof down just adds to the fun factor, which is why it is so much better than the rx8. as for parts i never had to buy any as it never broke, unlike my zed, which always seemed to have niggles.

If its not gutless and it can turn that kind of MPG back then it might be a good shout.

I had a thread about a getting a Cockster a few weeks back.........lot of bang for your buck and that was mid 30's on a combined cycle :shrug:

I sold my 350Z for a Clio 182 Trophy due to impending house purchase.

Best handlng car I have ever owned and I love it! Costs are low compared to many options.

the clio 182 is a fantastic car :thumbs: as you've already said, the handling is simply unbelievable.

6.5k will easily see u into a nice E46 330i. Not driven one but RWD a straight 6 engine. Don't think they have too many reliability issues either. Infact if ur not desperate to sell the Z the current E90 330is are now hitting the £10k mark, give it a few more month and the new 3 series will be out you might find the 330i within ur budget....

• 5 weeks later...
6.5k will easily see u into a nice E46 330i. Not driven one but RWD a straight 6 engine. Don't think they have too many reliability issues either. Infact if ur not desperate to sell the Z the current E90 330is are now hitting the £10k mark, give it a few more month and the new 3 series will be out you might find the 330i within ur budget....

Please...go and drive one ;)

Awful, AWFUL cars. I had an E46 330ci m-sport. Mine was mint looking with FBMWSH and I looked for a while before buying it. It consistently went wrong (~£3k garage bills in 2 years) depreciated like hell (£3.5k in 2 years even though it was bought private), steering is very poor with a complete lack of feel (spent a fortune trying to correct it- wheel has about 1" of play in it), throttle is an early digital form on the E46 and has a considerable delay- put your foot down, wait, wait, wait, there it is! The M3 is an excellent car and has the required oomph the 330 never feels it has, but then you have to add a 0 to all the costs of the things that go wrong.

Amazingly solid feel to it and great interior, as well as a great engine but I wouldn't own another if someone paid me!

I sold my 350Z for a Clio 182 Trophy due to impending house purchase.

Best handlng car I have ever owned and I love it! Costs are low compared to many options.

the clio 182 is a fantastic car :thumbs: as you've already said, the handling is simply unbelievable.

The 182 is a great car especially for the driver (bit hard on any passengers) my wife had the Gordini Blue Cup with the Grey wheels and two white stripes - Loved the car

Then upgraded to the 197, a more complete car, and very quick, but not as much fun as the 182 IMO

ff55dcce.jpg