OS X Lion

coldel

Quite fancy upgrading my Mac Pro to this, but reading a few stories of applications like Office and Photoshop not being compatible with it - anyone got any experience with Lion? Is there a risk I am running by upgrading?

I upgraded the day it came out.

Running a 2011 i5 iMac and a 2011 i7 MBP. Its just as fast, if not faster except for boot times which have increased, but thats not really a problem as most people don't shut down their mac.

Dreamweaver and Firefox 8 no longer work, neither does photoshop CS2 as they are all old pre intel software which is no longer supported.

I have CS5 aswell anyway and that works fine, as does lightroom 3 and office 2011.

The new OS is good, and well worth £20 BUT I had my first mac os crash ever (been using macs for 5 years now) today. Had to force a shutdown by holding in the power button. I think if it hadn't of had full screen apps I'd of been able to save it, so a glitch i reckon, although cmd-option-esc didn't work.

Also, my parallels doesn't work, but some peoples do work I've read, I think i need to buy the new one. Its just a pain because i rarely use it but needed a windows laptop for a job yesterday so ended up taking my MBP and a netbook.

If its a computer you rely on, I'd be tempted to wait for the first update.

Yep, upgraded to Lion.... mine is Mac Book Pro as well..... :thumbs:

Adobe CS5 won't run, needs some Java runtime script, which it has but can't see it. :headhurt:

As for office etc, mine runs just fine and dandy, although i did read the comments about it not working.

Took over 4 hours to download, as I believe Apple have "throttled" their servers. :shrug:

So, apart from CS5, everything else works as It did before.

I say go for it, you can always revert back if it causes you issues. :thumbs:

Did the Time Machine thing first, on the MBP and installed Lion, all ok so far, two days in. You need to upgrade Parallels to Version 6, I have and it's fine. My download only took a couple of hours, mind you it was early morning. Will continue to run on MBP for a while before upgrading the Desk Top Mac. No crashes so far, Safari is now blindingly fast on MBP, boot up and shut down are faster too. No problems with Office for Mac 2008. :)

Do the Parallels upgrade via the USA site it's cheaper in $'s :thumbs:

I upgraded the day it came out.

Running a 2011 i5 iMac and a 2011 i7 MBP. Its just as fast, if not faster except for boot times which have increased, but thats not really a problem as most people don't shut down their mac.

Dreamweaver and Firefox 8 no longer work, neither does photoshop CS2 as they are all old pre intel software which is no longer supported.

I have CS5 aswell anyway and that works fine, as does lightroom 3 and office 2011.

The new OS is good, and well worth £20 BUT I had my first mac os crash ever (been using macs for 5 years now) today. Had to force a shutdown by holding in the power button. I think if it hadn't of had full screen apps I'd of been able to save it, so a glitch i reckon, although cmd-option-esc didn't work.

Also, my parallels doesn't work, but some peoples do work I've read, I think i need to buy the new one. Its just a pain because i rarely use it but needed a windows laptop for a job yesterday so ended up taking my MBP and a netbook.

If its a computer you rely on, I'd be tempted to wait for the first update.

Parallels.

[par-uh-lel, -luhl] Show IPA

adjective, noun, verb, -leled, -lel·ing or ( especially British ) -lelled, -lel·ling.

–adjective

extending in the same direction, equidistant at all points, and never converging or diverging: parallel rows of trees.

having the same direction, course, nature, or tendency; corresponding; similar; analogous: Canada and the U.S. have many parallel economic interests.

Geometry .

a.

(of straight lines) lying in the same plane but never meeting no matter how far extended.

b.

(of planes) having common perpendiculars.

c.

(of a single line, plane, etc.) equidistant from another or others (usually followed by to or with ).

EXPAND

–noun

a parallel line or plane.

anything parallel or comparable in direction, course, nature, or tendency to something else.

Also called parallel of latitude. Geography .

a.

an imaginary circle on the earth's surface formed by the intersection of a plane parallel to the plane of the equator, bearing east and west and designated in degrees of latitude north or south of the equator along the arc of any meridian.

b.

the line representing this circle on a chart or map.

EXPAND

–verb (used with object)

to provide or show a parallel for; match.

to go or be in a parallel course, direction, etc., to: The road parallels the river.

to form a parallel to; be equivalent to; equal.

EXPAND

Use parallel in a Sentence

Origin:

1540–50; < Latin parallēlus < Greek parállēlos side by side, equivalent to par- par- + állēlos one another; see allo-, else

—Related forms

par·al·lel·a·ble, adjective

par·al·lel·less, adjective

par·al·lel·ly, adverb

non·par·al·lel, adjective, noun

sub·par·al·lel, adjective

EXPAND

—Synonyms

2. like, alike. 10. equivalent, equal, mate, duplicate, twin, double.

—Antonyms

2. divergent; unlike; unique. 10. opposite.

Explore the Visual Thesaurus »

Or a Mac interface that allows you to use windows on a Mac :thumbs:

A few days of usage and I can testify to liking Lion.

I updated straight away - but as a precaution made a disk image of my snow leopard installation first, in addition to normal TM backup before install.

I have a Mac Book Pro, as does the wife. We are a Mac only household (have been for years) - so aren't affected by Micro$haft compatibility issues, and don't use Parallels. We don't have any Adobe applications either.

The only losses so far for me are really old free applications that use rosetta - in my case, free OCR software that came with our printer, and freewares: GPSbabel, MacTheRipper (personal DVD copier) and MacAnova (ancient statistics modelling program).

Anything native Intel or Universal runs fine as expected, as it says on the tin, in the Lion release notes.

Only bugs I've encountered are a small issue (one time only) importing a photo into iPhoto which ended up hanging up finder - force quit, reboot and try again got over that, plus an install issue with the Xcode update. The Xcode update required a reboot and reinstall (Xcode not Lion) :dry: but nothing worse.

Remember to run software update before AND after install to pick up latest compatible software as well as software versions required for upgrade. And kick off the download overnight - even on 10Mb fibre optic cable it takes hours to pull down. The actual install when started only takes 1/2 hour or so - walk the dogs etc.

If you only live in Mac-verse, Lion is a good OSX update (definitely can't complain at £20.99).

Only other thing to notice is time machine will take a long time to catch up - and spotlight goes through a full index cycle, so expect whurring fans for the first half day or so.

A few days of usage and I can testify to liking Lion.

I updated straight away - but as a precaution made a disk image of my snow leopard installation first, in addition to normal TM backup before install.

I have a Mac Book Pro, as does the wife. We are a Mac only household (have been for years) - so aren't affected by Micro$haft compatibility issues, and don't use Parallels. We don't have any Adobe applications either.

The only losses so far for me are really old free applications that use rosetta - in my case, free OCR software that came with our printer, and freewares: GPSbabel, MacTheRipper (personal DVD copier) and MacAnova (ancient statistics modelling program).

Anything native Intel or Universal runs fine as expected, as it says on the tin, in the Lion release notes.

Only bugs I've encountered are a small issue (one time only) importing a photo into iPhoto which ended up hanging up finder - force quit, reboot and try again got over that, plus an install issue with the Xcode update. The Xcode update required a reboot and reinstall (Xcode not Lion) :dry: but nothing worse.

Remember to run software update before AND after install to pick up latest compatible software as well as software versions required for upgrade. And kick off the download overnight - even on 10Mb fibre optic cable it takes hours to pull down. The actual install when started only takes 1/2 hour or so - walk the dogs etc.

If you only live in Mac-verse, Lion is a good OSX update (definitely can't complain at £20.99).

Only other thing to notice is time machine will take a long time to catch up - and spotlight goes through a full index cycle, so expect whurring fans for the first half day or so.

Some QUALITY advice there... would never have thought to update all apps BEFORE the update... as well as after.

Kind of expected it to take a long time to download... plus the Time Machine to take ages to sort itself out ...

Great info, cheers! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

One slight irritation appears to be that mdworker is being made to run/do a lot (more than before). This is the spotlight indexing program, which although runs in the background, does chew a fair bit of CPU.

What appears to be happening is the Time Machine disk gets indexed as well in Lion, and as such the Time Machine Backups disk remains mounted, although a Time Machine backup cycle finishes properly. So, this background activity is still pummelling the Time Capsule, as well as what ever work is required on the Mac.

End result, hot Mac (book Pro) and hot Time Capsule - not really what you want in a warm spell like we're having at the moment.

It's background activity, so even leaving the computer unattended for a length of time can result in a roasting (or a flat battery). Shut the lid if you walk away from the keyboard! Alternately make TM backups manual - but thats not really in the spirit of things.

I assume that once Lion has caught up - my Time Machine backup is well over 400GB - so that could be a while, that it will settle down again.

:bang:

Apart from that, Panthera leo is still fine and better than before.

• 1 month later...

OS X Lion runs perfectly on my MacBook Pro since the DeveloperPreview 4 version, now running the latest update 10.7.2 beta - 11C48

Adobe CS5 works perfectly, no bugs whatsoever, Safari 5.1 (7534.49) performs excellent, Spotlight works fine after the first index which takes a big chunk of your CPU usage but fine afterwards.

Please note, I'm using Crucial 256GB SSD, there is a HUGE difference in speed and running times comparing to systems running on 5200rpm or 7200rpm HDD.

post-7720-135011912198_thumb.jpg

post-7720-135011912205_thumb.jpg

VMware Fusion IS the way to go if you HAVE to run Windows (Like I do for work) ....

I still only run XP in VM Fusion, refuse to move any further forward onto the bloated sh1te after that...

But 99% of the time you NEVER have to run windows!!! SO WHY WOULD YOU!!?!?!?!?!

VMware Fusion IS the way to go if you HAVE to run Windows (Like I do for work) ....

I still only run XP in VM Fusion, refuse to move any further forward onto the bloated sh1te after that...

But 99% of the time you NEVER have to run windows!!! SO WHY WOULD YOU!!?!?!?!?!

Unfortunately I have one programme which I have to use for work and since upgrading to Lion does not work..........and wont be supported for a while as PowerPC architecture in Lion is no longer supported.