best way to clean the engine bay

rabster

Ok so i want to give the car a real good going over this weekend the outside of the car doesn't need to much attention but the engine bay could do with a little bit of love around bolt points etc

is there any doos and donts for this ?

i will be covering the airfilter up to stop any water ingress and clean whilst the engine is running to monitor how she performs whilst cleaning any stuttering etc i will move away from that area...

any tips...

Andrew

I have read a fair bit on this recently.

In general, the suggestion was to use some sort of plastic bag to cover air intake and minimise the risk of any water getting in. Foil loosley wrapped around any electrical connectors obviously to stop water getting in. Use an engine De greaser sprayed over engine bay and if needed worked in with a brush. Followed by a good hose off.

You can then use your "normal" products such as wax on the bodywork and trim cleaner on plastics.

Quite a few guides on Youtube although some just spray the crap out of it with a pressure washer which seems a bit much for me.

I have read a fair bit on this recently.

In general, the suggestion was to use some sort of plastic bag to cover air intake and minimise the risk of any water getting in. Foil loosley wrapped around any electrical connectors obviously to stop water getting in. Use an engine De greaser sprayed over engine bay and if needed worked in with a brush. Followed by a good hose off.

You can then use your "normal" products such as wax on the bodywork and trim cleaner on plastics.

Quite a few guides on Youtube although some just spray the crap out of it with a pressure washer which seems a bit much for me.

some just spray the crap out of it with a pressure washer :lol:

I've just ordered some Megs Super Degreaser, Berry Blast Tyre & Trim Gel and a nice looking applicator sponge! Will get some before and after photo's this weekend of my engine bay. Hopefully clean it up nicely before I start adding things to it.

I was just going to spray on the degreaser, leave for a while, poke it with a brush/sponge then wipe off or wash off lightly with water.

I was just going to spray on the degreaser, leave for a while, poke it with a brush/sponge then wipe off or wash off lightly with water.

I did this......just dont leave it too long or it drys and just rearranges the dirt around a bit!

Ok so i want to give the car a real good going over this weekend the outside of the car doesn't need to much attention but the engine bay could do with a little bit of love around bolt points etc

is there any doos and donts for this ?

Doos ........... let the job out to James (Shire) :#1:

IMG_0053-1.jpg?t=1311627478

Don'ts ......... give the job to anyone else :thumbdown:

man this Berry Blast smells gooood! Just tried it out after using Megs Super Degreaser on the battery and fluid covers to see what it's like, I did half the bin lid as well so I could see a 50/50, looks good so far!

Big engine degrease, rinse and dress tomorrow along with fitting RTCustomZ airbox conversion, engine bay bolts!