100,000 mile 350z, a wise idea ?

Newbie here.

Have narrowed down my next choice of car to a 350z. Problem is with a budget of only £6000-£6500 (& since I dont want an import or an automatic), Im limited to cars with 100K+ miles. Whilst Ive had Japanese cars before (& currently drive an 03 plate Celica) & respect there reliability, is there anything I should specifically look for in a car with such a (relatively) high mileage ?

In addition, can anyone recommend a garage in the North West who would be able to take care of the car as & when I buy it ?

Thanks in advance.

Yoko's car would be a good choice for that money. It's a flipping steal!

+1

As per OP original questions - nowt wrong with a well looked after 100k mile car. If I were you though, I'd be budgeting for new bushes all round and possibly suspension as it tends to be shot by then. Also consider new clutch and flywheel depending on when they were last done. Usual other suspects should be considered - tyres, brakes etc, but cars with much less miles might need them too!

Just get Yoko's car ;)

Ive owned and sold quite a few high mileage cars in the past. The key thing to look out for is what is the owner like and what history is with the car. If the owner has had the car for a while, is obviously an enthusiast, has had the car serviced regularly and has kept details of what they have done with the car, then you should have nothing much to worry about.

Welcome to the forum!

Buy that car from Yoko its for nothing

Example: there is a 116k mile 313 55 plate on the web for £6491 and it's now where near as nice a car (you dont need to be a genius to know how I know) :lol:

You would pay the money for the "come back" element but knowing how these cars are maintained, it will mitigate any losses on the age and mileage!

Hpi it and get it inspected for your own piece of mind, but get it - it's a cheap, nice looking car

Example: there is a 116k mile 313 55 plate

That's not possible Toby.

313 models came in with the MY07 model :thumbs:

Yes, and it was also described as a roadster too!

Just pointing out the value of Yoko's car in comparison

This one is a POS in comparison!! :lol::lol:

Very informative, thanks for that. Just had a look at Yoko's car, that is a seriously beautiful colour. However, Im looking to buy from a Dealer for peace of mind & the warranty I'll get. Sadly am not the most mechanically minded (though I wouldnt rule out getting an RAC inspection or the like) & although I will put enough aside to take care of routine maintainance & the like, would really pee me off (not to mention clear me out) if after buying the car in a private sale, its engine went pop.

Am going to have a look at a few this weekend that are advertised on Autorader BUT after having a succession of silver/grey cars, would really prefer the bronze/burnt orange (? - or Yoko's blue one).

Very informative, thanks for that. Just had a look at Yoko's car, that is a seriously beautiful colour. However, Im looking to buy from a Dealer for peace of mind & the warranty I'll get. Sadly am not the most mechanically minded (though I wouldnt rule out getting an RAC inspection or the like) & although I will put enough aside to take care of routine maintainance & the like, would really pee me off (not to mention clear me out) if after buying the car in a private sale, its engine went pop.

Am going to have a look at a few this weekend that are advertised on Autorader BUT after having a succession of silver/grey cars, would really prefer the bronze/burnt orange (? - or Yoko's blue one).

I do understand the peace of mind bit but if Yoko's car was being sold by a dealer I would expect to see £2-3k plus on his price. One of the best things about joining a forum is you can look back through the seller's posts to get a good feel for the history - something you won't get from a dealer. Frankly the used-car warranty's they issue are next to worthless IMHO - there is always something in the small print they can get out of.

Besides which if you are very cautious you would get an RAC inspection done anyway? Which you do with a private sale and if the seller says no - walk away.

Check for the service history - that is the most important bit. A 350 engine is so under-stressed it is highly unlikley to 'pop' unless the oil level has not been kept up - something a good professional inspection should reveal for your peace of mind.

But the choice is yours :shrug:

TBH if it were me, I'd rather have a well looked after car from an owner on here and go no where near a dealer. My experience is tained by when I bought my 350z (before the 370z) which was second hand from a dealer. They were crap to say the least. Told me it was in perfect nick, 2 previous owners blah blah blah. Got it and when the V5 came through I was the 4th owner. There was major scuffing on the rear bumper. There was satnav in the car which they didnt realise and when they did try to charge me £500 for it! To say I was fuming would be an understatement. I ended up complaining to the dealership owners and got my next major service for free and the scuff fixed. The paint then preceeded to peel on the bonnet which they said was because of stone chips which was a crock of ****!

Just my 2p. I'd take it from an owner on here over a dealer as their "come back" is a bit of a false economy.

I have had my Zed from 72k to just over 96k, 3 services and almost everything I have spent on it has been optional so far apart from 2 belts that were changed on the 81k service and a new Clutch/Flywheel at 75k. Flew through MOT with no problems just as it had its 90k service, again with no problems.... so YES it is possible to find a decent well looked after Zed with high Mileage :thumbs:

Also keep it tip top and stick a personal plate on (£250) and nobody would know :ninja:

When I polished mine up to go to Wales a neighbour asked me if my Zed was brand new as he didn't think they made them anymore :teeth:

(he obviously had failed to see the 1,000,000s of stone chips on the front)

Once again, many thanks for your observations. On the Import v UK car, probably more of a state of mind thing if Im honest. Many moons ago I had a MK1 MX5 & again I deliberately chose a UK car rather than a Eunos Roadster as had read stories about differing wiring looms, thickness of glass, parts prices & difficulties with obtaining Insurance (or at least paying addiional premiums) etc etc.

Must say though, am bit concered that for £6000 - £6500 (not a lot for some I'll freely admit but quite serious for me - really should have studied harder at school !!) Im going to struggle to get a decent manual UK car from a Dealer. Perhaps I'll have to lower my expectations, but hopefully if I see a few this weekend, should be in a better position to gauge whats out there. On the proviso I can drag myself out of bed this weekend, will report back on Monday.

Cheers again.

Remember these were £25k-£30k car when they were new - £6k for a good example really isnt a lot for what you are getting - even if it is stretching your budget. You should also really look into the running costs as this is a reasonably expensive car to run ;)

Well, went to look at a gunmetal grey car on Saturday in Stockport. 74,000 miles, UK car, manual with brembo brakes but surprisingly no leather (?). After being subject to the usual myriad of questioning for an hour on p/x prices & the like, finally got a test drive..........well I say a test drive, it actually comprised of a 5 minute (accompanied) drive in a 30mph zone where I couldnt get out of third gear !!

However, all was made good for those few brief seconds when I was able to rev it beyond 3000rpm. Have owned a few quick(ish) cars in my time such as an Elise & a Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo, but this was on another level. Near instantaneous throttle response & the sound, well the sound was glorious. Sadly couldnt do the deal as they wouldnt drop a penny on the price & the p/x I was offered on my current Celica was poor in the extreme. However, am now going to sell the Celica privately & hopefully in the next week (or more likely month) should be the proud owner of my very own Z.

Must say though was surprised how plasticky the interior was & for what seems such a big car, was very tight inside, but as Ive said all that paled into insignifigance when I a) looked at it & B) actually drove it.

Oh & finally, the morale of the story - dont buy such a niche car from a car supermarket type dealer. Do they seriously think that if I was going to buy a near 300bhp sports car, that Id buy it on the back of a 5 minute test drive where I couldnt travel at over 30mph ? And where I didnt get to see either the old MOTs or the V5 (sorry sir - there not avalable to view at the moment).

Remember these were £25k-£30k car when they were new - £6k for a good example really isnt a lot for what you are getting - even if it is stretching your budget. You should also really look into the running costs as this is a reasonably expensive car to run ;)

+ 1

20mpg round town, 24-25mpg average, £500+ for tyres, servicing brake pads/discs etc etc etc... if £6k is pushing it to buy one then I would seriously suggest you think again, not a cheap car to run im afraid :surrender:

^^^^ its not s much that I "only" have £6K to spend, its that Id rather buy the car now for £6000 or so, as opposed to waiting for another 3 or 4 months, by which time Id probably have £8000 or so & which in all probability (& though I do rate the Z) would move me into a different type of car altogether (or even worse, Id save another £2 or £3000 and buy a 996 Porsche in January/February next year - which really could dent my finances).

Impatient ? Probably, but if you had a 140bhp Celica to tootle around in, then you'd realise how much I want the 350.

PS, hope the mention of the 911 isnt considered an act of heresey on here.

^^^^ its not s much that I "only" have £6K to spend, its that Id rather buy the car now for £6000 or so, as opposed to waiting for another 3 or 4 months, by which time Id probably have £8000 or so & which in all probability (& though I do rate the Z) would move me into a different type of car altogether (or even worse, Id save another £2 or £3000 and buy a 996 Porsche in January/February next year - which really could dent my finances).

Impatient ? Probably, but if you had a 140bhp Celica to tootle around in, then you'd realise how much I want the 350.

PS, hope the mention of the 911 isnt considered an act of heresey on here.

Hang on... a porsche 996 is about £10->£11k? I didnt realise they were so cheap. I could have bought one and had 4 or 5grand change rather than buying my 350z!