Saw a car completely written off today...

Peter10

I had finished work, so quickly parked up at a local Waitrose to get a few bits as I knew traffic would be bad near Tesco. I parked up and as I walked to the entrance I heard a screech and saw an old Volvo go flying forward down a drainage ditch (about a 10 foot deep slope). I ran over as did a few other people and helped the couple out of the car, engine still going and still in gear revving away...

The gent driving the car was about 85 years old as was his wife, so an ambulance was called to to be sure. The car was pulled out by an AA man on his dinner break and lets just say it will be going to the breakers. Fortunately both the occupants still had their seatbelts on and were fine except a few bruises (taken to hospital to be sure by the ambulance crew). When speaking to the driver, he said that he had parked up, sneezed, blacked out for a second and hit the accelerator launching the car forward.

I had two major concerns, one was the fact he and his wife thought it was a simple accident and didn't see much more to it. The second was the fact that if a sneeze was enough to cause this poor guy to black out, how serious of an accident could he cause on a motorway at rush hour? I'm not for removing everyone's driving license at a certain age as everyone is different, but should there be much more stringent tests needed to retain a license past a certain age? Had a young kid (or anyone) been passing in front of this car at the time, they would probably have been crushed to death.

Fortunately, nobody was seriously hurt :)

So what do you think about driving past a certain age? My dad, even though still fairly young (late 50's) says that when the day comes he doesn't feel comfortable driving any more, he will stop. Some people I fear aren't so forward thinking.

My nan has just had to turn in her licence at 82 because she's been having mini strokes which paralyze her down one side for 5 mins - she understands but she's gutted......quality driver and only had 2 accidents in 50 years - both in the last 10 years for being too aggressive!

my neighbour regularly comes back with a new mark on the car and on occasion has been know to draw out of the junction at the end of the road on the wrong side or draw in on the wrong side. she does well considering it has no power steering or anything, but like you say you just have the feeling that one day something much worse could happen.

its a difficult one with the licence because in effect your not just taking away a license for some people its there independence and alike. there are probably ways around it like introducing a physical examination yearly from the age of 70 or something like that. but i guess the knock on effects would need to be considered.

So what do you think about driving past a certain age? My dad, even though still fairly young (late 50's) says that when the day comes he doesn't feel comfortable driving any more, he will stop. Some people I fear aren't so forward thinking.

I'll stop when I no longer feel that I'm safe to be on the road.

Pete

I think there should be a re-test or basic driving skills course if im honest... say 75 ?

I find little old ladies/gents peering over steering wheels, braking eratically or driving really slowly can be a danger on the roads.. thats not to say all older people are poor drivers but we have all seen what im talking about and it is dangerous being behind them..

Im all for the elderly having their freedom and think its great for them to get out and about I really do. However, would the majority pass a theory and practical test nowadays, nope.... but thats what the government enforces new drivers to do to ensure they are safe to drive on our roads.. So a basic test to ensure elderly drivers are safe and competent shouldn't be dismissed IMO

Obviously if there was a re-test age it should go up to 90 in about 40 years time... ;)

Was behind a little old lady heading home from work the other day...she stopped for no reason at a green light pedestrian crossing, just anchored up. The police car behind me ended up parping her to move her along!

On our recent holiday at Lake Maggiore when talking to the hotel owner about cars he said said they get a guy who drives a Rolls Royce from England there each year and regularly washes it (man after our own hearts :blush: ). Said gent reached 95 last year - made me feel yery young :lol:

I'll stop when I no longer feel that I'm safe to be on the road.

Pete

Does anyone actually know an elderly driver who totally voluntarily took this course of action? I don't. My father stopped driving when I pointed out that he had had a long and safe driving record and maybe the time had come to call it a day. He sold the car without any resistance but it had to be suggested to him. My father in law still drives at age 84, fortunately he lives in Cyprus so we are safe. The last time I was in a car with him driving I swore would be my last time. He took a bend at a speed that scared me and seemed oblivious to what he'd just got away with.

Steve

yep i know of someone. my wifes grandad before he passed away first decided that he couldnt really drive at night safely so stopped then a few years later decided that it was risky for him to drive at all so sold his car.

fair play i say.

im glad im not alone in this way of thinking, i have a massive issue with older drivers. I have seen everything from old ladys driving in first and second gear everywhere because they are so deaf they cant hear the engine through to an old chap reversing all the way down the side of a parked car, not even realising and driving off. When we finally got him to stop he was completely oblivious and accused them of driving into his car. Even though on the cctv the lady who's car it was, had been about 100 ft away buying some lunch.

I think it should be a compulsory test at the age of 70 and then reassessed on a very regular basis. I'm sorry that this answer isnt as pc and calm as other peoples but i see it every single day. I pay a lot of money for my car insurance and looking after my car. I take pride in my driving and it p*sses me off that because statistics are lower for the older generation they are considered safe!

Here's a clue the first driving tests where introduced in the early thirties which means if you had a car before that date you never had to take a test. My grandfather being a point of fact!

I took my driving test in 1990 and passed after just five lessons. Sounds great, but no therory test or hazard perseption test. In more recent years I took my heavy bike test with all the new inclusions. Although I am please I passed first time, it was much harder and I have to say feel I think it made me a better driver too.

The point is I think we have the infrastructure to retest the elderly as they generally can go for check ups at the doctors, why not also include a re test after retirement age too. As mentioned above the roads where a different place just twenty years ago when I passed, so imagine how different they must be from the last 50 to 70 years ago.

I personly belive that it's not a question of age just responsibility as I think that how the courts would see it if this old guy had killed someone :shrug:

im glad im not alone in this way of thinking, i have a massive issue with older drivers. I have seen everything from old ladys driving in first and second gear everywhere because they are so deaf they cant hear the engine through to an old chap reversing all the way down the side of a parked car, not even realising and driving off. When we finally got him to stop he was completely oblivious and accused them of driving into his car. Even though on the cctv the lady who's car it was, had been about 100 ft away buying some lunch.

I think it should be a compulsory test at the age of 70 and then reassessed on a very regular basis. I'm sorry that this answer isnt as pc and calm as other peoples but i see it every single day. I pay a lot of money for my car insurance and looking after my car. I take pride in my driving and it p*sses me off that because statistics are lower for the older generation they are considered safe!

Your dead right mate (pardon the pun) I too have a massive issue with the elderly on the roads, I to have witness so terrifying driving. Above all the lack of speed joining motorways at thirty miles an hour, pulling out on you without looking (much more fun on a bike I can tell you!)

Speaking as a former car salesman the test drives where absolutely frightening in a strange car to them. I have actully had to stop the car and tell them to get out!

Not a deal breaker but at least not a neck breaker :lol:

My Dad bought my Grandad a manual car as if he had a "moment" the car would be more likely to stall than to careen into a busstop full of nuns ;)

Its a difficult one TBH, Ive recently seen a mates Mum deteriorate from being fine to not having a clue inside of 6 months :(

He has taken her license and car, said it was the most difficult thing he has ever had to do, but hes glad he has. :)

My Dad bought my Grandad a manual car as if he had a "moment" the car would be more likely to stall than to careen into a busstop full of nuns ;)

Its a difficult one TBH, Ive recently seen a mates Mum deteriorate from being fine to not having a clue inside of 6 months :(

He has taken her license and car, said it was the most difficult thing he has ever had to do, but hes glad he has. :)

I know how you feel - my step mother (who passed away) got alheizmers and was absolutely furious when the Doc confirmed she could no longer drive as she did not recognize the symptons, but it had to be done.

Older age inevitably leads, or can lead, to slower reactions, poorer eyesight/hearing/senses but when it does that can vary so much from one person to another. It is also obvious that come retirement car choice is usually restricted due to price/running costs and inevitably leads to smaller and dare I say more basic cars that means their pace on the roads and making manoeuvres is often frustrating and can even be frightening, as the examples above reveal.

Tolerance of other road users, even learner drivers, can often seem questionable and that creates an "us and them" that can lead to bad driving through frustration. But we also need to remember car insurance premiums reflect the inexperience factor for new drivers or known risks and oldies will get their premiums hiked in the same way as their health and travel insurances, until it is no longer viable.

But as hard as it is, yes it often does mean close family members are the ones who normally have to say when they should stop driving and I am dreading the day that happens to me. And that is going to happen to everyone else on here at some point in time, so enjoy your driving while you can.

There was a elderly chap who lived opposite us, he used to go out everyone morning for a drive,once got to yorkwhich is about a hour's drive away at 6 am, complained about nothing being open. But this isn't the issue, he drove everyone at around 20-30mph, these are on b roads, where people do around 40-60 as a general rule, the amount of people and times, normal drivers have come around a corner to find him going 20 mph and had to slam on the brakes to avoid going into him was unreal. He ended his life getting hit side on at a cross roads and if im correct another was killed/seriously injured because of it.

What people have to remember is it's not just the elderly persons life at risk, it's others to, you could be going down a strieght road next thing you know and elderly person has pulled out infront of you and there's nothing you can do.

A doctors physicle and kind of practicle test should be inforced at 75.

Reminds me of my parents old neighbour, he was still driving into his 90`s. He was half deaf so couldnt hear the engine, so he`d have his foot to the boards when accelerating and slipped the clutch like mad. Believe it or not, he got through 3 clutches in the space of 6,000 miles!!!!!!!!

The front of the car was covered in dents where he used to drive into his garage and mis-judge it so he`d run into the back and all the stuff would fall off some shelves onto the car.

Once he got caught speeding litterally 2 houses away from his driveway, he was doing 50 in a 30 and he had only just left his house!

In the end he pulled out on someone on a roundabout and wrote his car off. He still carried on driving tho up until he was about 92 when he fell over and done his hip in.

Complete madness.