New owner and a couple of Q's

Hi folks,

I have decided to join you lucky fellows in 350Z ownership after 5 satisfying years of Alfa GTV v6 ownership.

Just today placed a deposit on a 57plate 350Z today with 40000miles on the HR engine, having found my spec/colour of choice (silver GT + rays 18's)

After a 10min test drive i knew i had to have this car! As much as i loved my Alfa GTV the Zed is in a different league dynamically, in fact my initial impressions of the drive exceeded my already high expectations so i am actually feeling pretty chuffed right now :D

I did manage to find one issue with the car i'm buying though and would appreciate any advice you can give. When i cold started the car the engine idled at just over 2k rpm which i assume is normal with these motors. The actual problem was i immediately heard a clicking noise from the engine bay that changed speed with engine rpm. Depressing the clutch pedal made the noise disappear completely so i am fairly confident that this is just a worn/failed clutch release bearing. On the test drive there wasnt any obvious slipping from the clutch but the revs did shudder when changing gear (which btw felt very positive :) ). I have done the deal with the dealer on the basis that the clutch will be replaced so i presume i dont need to worry about this but if anyone thinks i should then i would be happy to hear from them.

Thanks in advance :)

:wave:

idle could just be a cold start, not been used in a long time, as long as it bedded down quickly, i would have tuened it off and then restarted it again just to see if the issue repeated itself.

as for clicking, it could be a CRB, but other more common issues are the clutch plate or the slave cylinder. without hearing it myself its a bit of a stab in the dark. but your initial idea sounds possible.

:wave:

idle could just be a cold start, not been used in a long time, as long as it bedded down quickly, i would have tuened it off and then restarted it again just to see if the issue repeated itself.

+1 Sounds like a cold start after perhaps little usage but if they're replacing clutch you should be fine!

Hi folks,

I have done the deal with the dealer on the basis that the clutch will be replaced so i presume i dont need to worry about this but if anyone thinks i should then i would be happy to hear from them.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

Given the garage have readily agreed to the clutch (and bearing?) change indicates they felt something was not right and with 40k miles done, probably a wise move anyway although many a ZED has done far more miles than that without issues. Make sure you drive it before taking it away to be sure the problem is resolved - usually much less hassle than going back afterwards ;)

Also have the HR here, on cold start my needle normally sits at about 1.5k dropping to below 1k when warm. You could have a clutch release bearing issue, my car was pretty loud when idle and as stated above, disappeared when clutch was depressed, got it replaced by Nissan just before warranty ran out, the car had 33k miles on the clock

Thanks guys for the welcomes and the tips!

Perhaps owning Alfa Romeo's for 5yrs has made me paranoid to little sounds etc that appear out of nowhere.... disappear.... then never heard again lol

I am confident the replacement clutch should sort the noise out though and its a bonus to know the car has a fresh clutch right from my start of ownership :)

2k Rpm did indeed seem high to me but yeah i guess the car has not been used much recently in fact it has only done 2000 miles since Oct '10. It was started and test driven on fumes as well which may not have helped?

I forgot to mention the ECU check light was on and stayed on. The dealer mentioned that this was prbably down to having been started and stopped a number of times with very little fuel and that i shouldnt be concerned. I insisted they sorted this during the PDI check but maybe that could explain the high idle? I must say the engine pulled strong on the test drive and the dealer was quite encouraging for me to give it some beans.... which it did :D

Thanks again.

Hello again,

*Update to my original welcome thread*

I am due to collect the car in two days but the dealer rang today and told me that the new release bearing hadnt fixed the tapping noise :doh: ! I was most amazed by this as i cant think what else it could be!?

The good news is they are going to take it into nissan main dealer (well i assume this is good news lol) and sort it out there instead.

I mean its not like i was really excited to be picking it up in two days lol