do you have to be over 21 or 25 to drive 350z?

shooter89

Enough bullshit from everyone I think and yes it is possible for young people to afford cars much better than these.

Another member on here had his nearly new zed at 18, and then an r35 gtr @ 21, he is a good friend of mine and has also burst his arse to get the fancy things he wants.

Ummmm. Sorry mate, no-one gets a GTR at 21 without some luck featuring in there. I worked 70+ hours from the age of 18 (when I left college), I cant accept that there would be any way I could afford a £20K car at 18 and then insure it regardless of what I did for a living.

I now own a company that turns over 5m a year and I cant afford a GTR ........ sure, I could sell my house and buy somewhere much smaller, but to do that at 21?? :blink:

Fair play to you and your mate, always good to see someone grafting for what theyve got, but you cant tell me that anyone, anywhere could have a GTR at 21 if they worked hard, I cant accept that. :)

end of the day if you have a good job you can afford it! it all depends what you do with your money. like you said you could if you had a smaller house. anyone that works hard can have one at that age, it just depends what line of work there in and how they handle the money there on.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why there's such a big stigma from getting financial aid from your parents tbh. My folks bought my first car for me and insured it from the ages of 17 until 21. My Dad went guarantor on my next car and it was also pretty decent of him to give me a job working for his company where I am today. Sure, I've worked pretty hard since and made the most of the opportunity, but I won't sit here and say that it's all been off my own back and I've worked in the mines since the age of 9 to afford everything. I've got amazing parents who have helped me out in life, and I don't really care who knows it or what they think of me.

In all honesty if I had parents who were worth millions (mine aren't btw!) and they wanted to buy cars and houses and ponies for me, I'd snatch their hands off. I suspect most people would.

Enough bullshit from everyone I think and yes it is possible for young people to afford cars much better than these.

Another member on here had his nearly new zed at 18, and then an r35 gtr @ 21, he is a good friend of mine and has also burst his arse to get the fancy things he wants.

Ummmm. Sorry mate, no-one gets a GTR at 21 without some luck featuring in there. I worked 70+ hours from the age of 18 (when I left college), I cant accept that there would be any way I could afford a £20K car at 18 and then insure it regardless of what I did for a living.

I now own a company that turns over 5m a year and I cant afford a GTR ........ sure, I could sell my house and buy somewhere much smaller, but to do that at 21?? :blink:

Fair play to you and your mate, always good to see someone grafting for what theyve got, but you cant tell me that anyone, anywhere could have a GTR at 21 if they worked hard, I cant accept that. :)

end of the day if you have a good job you can afford it! it all depends what you do with your money. like you said you could if you had a smaller house. anyone that works hard can have one at that age, it just depends what line of work there in and how they handle the money there on.

A GTR over 5 years is a £15K deposit and £900 a month. Thats before fuel, tyres and servicing, so lets say £1200 a month. Insurance will be at least £5K, so another £450 a month, thats £1650 a month, plus the £15K in the first place.

If you live with Mum and Dad, dont ever go out, dont drink, dont have a missus, dont smoke, dont buy clothes you will still need nearly a year of saving £1650 a month, then you will also be paying that for the next 5 years. Thats £26K a year ........ which is a bloody good salary for a 20 year old, even if he has no life at all. If you are earning £35K, which is a LOT for a 20 year old, thats still only £500 a month to enjoy as well as your GTR ........

I'm not sure why there's such a big stigma from getting financial aid from your parents tbh. My folks bought my first car for me and insured it from the ages of 17 until 21. My Dad went guarantor on my next car and it was also pretty decent of him to give me a job working for his company where I am today. Sure, I've worked pretty hard since and made the most of the opportunity, but I won't sit here and say that it's all been off my own back and I've worked in the mines since the age of 9 to afford everything. I've got amazing parents who have helped me out in life, and I don't really care who knows it or what they think of me.

In all honesty if I had parents who were worth millions (mine aren't btw!) and they wanted to buy cars and houses and ponies for me, I'd snatch their hands off. I suspect most people would.

i don't mind if people have supportive parents; fair play to them and its nice to be in that situation.

i suppose i have an element of pride in the fact that i did it on my own and off my own back with out the help.

what grates me is those that have the support but then try and say they did it off their own back. i'd rather people be honest and say they had a hand out from the bank of mum and dad, than to turn round with their hand out and agree with some one saying "yeah i know how hard it can be; i was just the same" Bollox to that.

i think its difficult to describe and expalin if you haven't come from that kind of ethos, my wife and i have had 2 very different upbringings; nothing wrong with that, but i would say i have a different ethos when it comes to money and doing things, i'll save up or look at bank loans for businesses etc, where my wife would just go and see her parents first.

i think the dislike for some people is where they've grafted for it, and it can seem that others get it handed to them on a silver platter, never had to work for it, it was just a given that the good job was theres at the end of school.

i know people who've had a hand out and are grafters and earned what they got, i also know others who are just to$$ers who live off their parents success and don't know the value of anything.

i've known ekona for a long time and i know he's a grafter ;)

I think a lot of it has to do more with luck than hard work from my experience.

Ive worked hard all my life trying to get up the career ladder and its amazed me sometimes how some people are just in the right place at the right time, or just had a bit of luck. They say people fail upwards, and I have really lost count of the times ive worked with people who really have been next to useless, then next minute they have been promoted into a higher paid job!

As for youngsters being able to afford to buy supercars... I just really dont know how they can do it.

My first job after leaving uni paid the grand sum of 14k a year. However, I have mates now who are a lot younger than me, and after leaving uni they literally walk straight into jobs paying 35k upwards when they are 21. But, in my town, the average salary is only 25k a year, so I dont know how anyone could save up for a supercar on that.

is he a drug dealer neil?

thats the only way at that age i can think that someone can make enough money to buy a GTR; or working for the family business.

not saying either job isn;t hard work :lol:

Neilp is pretty gansta himself! :lol:

Whatever happened to the days of buying an absolute shitter of a car and driving that until you could afford to insure something decent?? :shrug:

I had a 1.1 Mk1 Fiesta, then a 1.2 Nova, then a 1.6 Orion, then a 1.8 Sierra before I got anything Id want to mention in public :D

two things:

CREDIT

RICH PARENTS

Or the obvious one, work hard in a decent paid job.

+1

:lol: sorry jay but you can;t plus one that.

as for docwra's original post i agree,

i bought all my cars outright for cash; paidd for by me, my parents never helped out; if i wanted a car i funded it might self, and even mananged to do it in my last 2 years at uni.

i sometimes think its why we see so many crashes, i worked my way up through the cars, built my experience and my skill through time and worked my way up. without being rude, i don't tend to take much notice of the very young drivers on forums giving their driving "advice". i tend to listen to those with experience or the background for it. yes there are some exceptions for instance lewis hamilton is younger than me, and i would take his advice quiet happily. but the local barry boy in his boo-yaka-shaa corsa with resistor mod and drilled holes in his exhaust can jog on. (i'm sure most people if they are really bothered can work out for them sleves where they fall on that scale :lol: )

I think I can +1 that rich. As most of the older 350z crew know I got my 350z for my 21st Bday from my parents. Yes that is a great gift and all the rest of it which I am very thankful for. But as most of us say its the actual running of the car that can cost a fortune. Now I have paid my insurance and all the rest of that jazz off my own back (because I work bloody hard to keep the lifestyle that I am used too.) I have spent over 10k on my zed, which meant I could have bought the zed back by now anyway. Plus you are very quick to assume when you do not know all the facts mate. How do you know I havent paid back my parents for the car?

I think you have a slight chip on your shoulder (and I may be wrong) but that is just my view. Again like you said in a previous post...... people get raised differently and it is obvious that we have. However I work hard for whatever I have and whatever I would like to have. I work 13hr days as thats the only way that I can afford to keep the car.... pay for an engagement ring.... pay for a wedding......... the list goes on. So to sum it up. Yes I have had a great start in life and my parents have been able to set me up in the best way the can.......... but dont take away from me the effort and hard graft that I also put in to keep the standard of living that I want for myself.

Fair play mate :thumbs: I just hate being put in the box of spoilt rich kid! Now yes my parents have done well for themselves. But the thing I cannot stand is people who just sit back a take take take all their life......... it really grinds my gears :lol: But as I said I have been lucky to get the start in life I have been given...... so just using that to my advantage :) Annnnnnnnnndd Breathe.......... :lol::lol::thumbs:

Fair play mate :thumbs: I just hate being put in the box of spoilt rich kid! Now yes my parents have done well for themselves. But the thing I cannot stand is people who just sit back a take take take all their life......... it really grinds my gears :lol: But as I said I have been lucky to get the start in life I have been given...... so just using that to my advantage :) Annnnnnnnnndd Breathe.......... :lol::lol::thumbs:

never said you were, but speaking from experience, alot of the "handout" brigade that i've worked with, tend to be spoilt, arrogant and lack a knowledge of the true value of money.

i work in and around woodbridge and its full of rich kids; as well as the ones i teach;

some poeple from supportive backgrounds are top people;

but alot tend to be a bunch of stuck up to$$ers, if you're one of the sound people then i'm sorry you've been out numbered by the to$$ers who in my eyes have tarnished your Rep. but thats me; and what the feck do i know anyway.

As most of the older 350z crew know I got my 350z for my 21st Bday from my parents. Yes that is a great gift and all the rest of it which I am very thankful for.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I also got a car for my 21st birthday from my parents. It was a 1984 1 litre Austin Mini which cost them £400. Still, I was very grateful as the 25 year old 850cc Mini (which was all i could afford to run at the time) was on its last legs and I needed a car to get to work with.

No i would agree with you...... alot of people who I attended school with........ well how shall we say are complete arrogant b@stards....... but trust me there are some nice ones out there............ it just takes a bit of looking :thumbs: But I guess that's the same of all walks in life

No i would agree with you...... alot of people who I attended school with........ well how shall we say are complete arrogant b@stards....... but trust me there are some nice ones out there............ it just takes a bit of looking :thumbs: But I guess that's the same of all walks in life

You've seen my parent pad dude and I'm sure you'll agree My mum and dad don't have alot but my bro and myself both worked our arses off.

I live in a f*cling ghetto. Yeah sure come by our pad and there's range's, volvos, Suzuki's, nissans, fiats, porsches etc but every penny for these was hard earned.

When I was 21 I bought a new Suzuki swift sport for my missus the same month i bought my 350z. For anyone to question how young people can afford stuff, well, its got f*ck all to do with them. I worked for every penny regardless of what I was doing to earn my money.

Thought I'd come in on this as a lot of it applies to me.

Personally, I would never have a problem with someone getting nice things bought by their parents. It's more how they act, and how much they show off. I know someone who has a brand new Audi who is my age. Pretty much every facebook update and picture is some sort of attempt to remind the world of how he has a nice car. He's a nice guy, but the fact that he seemingly can't resist showing off bothers me a lot. I'm pretty sure his parents paid for the car, but I wouldn't hold that against him if he was a bit more humble about it. Sure, I'm young and have a Zed, most people think it's awesome. I have put up a pic or two, as I was really excited when I first got it. But I don't go around shouting to the world that I have a nice car, no one likes a show off. I actually feel bad about telling people what car I've got sometimes, I often just say 'a Nissan'. Even if someone has worked hard for something, I can't stand it if they are constantly showing off and bragging about it. There's sharing your nice things with others, which is fine, and then there's being a :rant:

Plus, you should never judge someone before you know the whole story. If I was to tell you that I got my Zed at 19, you'd probably think I was incredibly lucky, and my parents paid for it all. Well, in a way you'd be right and yes they did. But in my circumstances I wouldn't exactly consider luck to be on my side. That's not some sort of cry for sympathy by the way, but in this case I happen to be a good example of illustrating my own point! ;)

did the OP ever get insurance... Hhmmmm..

I was 22 when i got mine, still to this day people ask how i afford it, most are people who shunned me when i got a job/apprenticeship instead of going to sixth form uni etc. Most are working minimum wage jobs or no jobs at all.

I think the moral of the story that everyone is trying to get accross is, if you work hard for it, then why not! As well as don't slam it in peoples faces if you're doing well for yourself or your parents have done things for you.

Wait till you get kids of your own... That may change your life styles....

:bangin:

I reckon owner ship split will be

40% under 30 without kids

15% 30 - 40 without kids

5% 30 - 40 with kids

40% 40+ with grown up kids

might be a mile off but it would be interesting to see.

As for the rich kid thing, everyone has one in there friend circle don't they ? My best mate got given 80k for his 18th Birthday 15 years ago. He's always had nice cars but he did the sensible thing and lumped the majority into bricks and mortar.

If I was to give any youngster advice it would be to do the same. Apart from my 1st car 'RS1800' I didn't really have a flash car again until I got on the property ladder and earned enough cash to afford running a house and a car.