Potential purchase

Squee

Hi all,

Just wondering if any members on here have seen this Zed about or know anything of it's history?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

I know the bodykit is't to everyone's taste but I do have a rather 'vulgar' side ;)

Cheers,

S.

EDITED!! I've changed the title as I now know that the car was reg. in Oxford (thanks Pete) and the last owner was from the Selly Oak area of Birminghan and the owner before that from Newcastle near Stoke on Trent. If anyone has any info on the car then I'd be mighty grateful!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about the history. But the kit is the nismo kit, best looking kit in my opinion very rare these days as the kit is discontinued. Plenty of copies out there but this one may very well be factory fitted. If it's got a good service history then this could be a good buy. :thumbs:

Yeah, Nismo kit is very nice, suits the car well :thumbs: . There's no mention of any service history, with 80+K on the clock I'd be very wary if the dealer tells you that the service book has been lost. Not seen that car at all but it was originally registered in Oxford FWIW.

Pete

Cheers Pete - spoke to the dealer briefly today and it does have full service. I'm off to have a look at the Zed at the weekend. As luck would have it a colleague (whom I get on very well with) of mine knows the dealer and 'broke the ice' between us on the phone before and the dealers already dropped the price for me.

I want to be fully prepared when I go and view and want to be armed with all of the right questions to ask thus I'll be reading up heaps on this forum. I seem to recall reading a buyers 'faq' thing a couple of weeks ago on this site and it said checking that it's up to date with the major services is a biggie.....if anyone can point me in the right directions of other threads for the prospective buyer then I'd be mighty grateful.

Thanks again all! trying not to get too excited incase there is something wrong with this Zed!

S.

Hi all,

Cheers again for your responses. I viewed the car on Saturday and was very taken with it although there were a couple of minor bad points which I'll mention in a sec. I didn't actually test drive it - I was offered to but I must admit to being slightly nervous and am going back to do a test drive with my Dad tomorrow who'll be able to detect any rattles etc better than I can.

I was expecting to see quite a high amount of chipping on the bumper as I've read the Zeds seem prone to due to shape and was very suprised to see how good nic the front was in given it's age and high miles. Is there any way I can tell if the Nismo kit was factory fitted as the opitional extra? I've read conflicting reports that on the models which had the FF Nismo kit the seats and gear knob were meant to be Nismo branded but in the car I viewed it was the tan leather. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Bad points about the car:

* Higher miles than I ideally would have liked (86K) although I personally have a low annual mileage as I work from home.

* Car has done 20k miles in the last year.

* No services for 06 and 09.

* Somewhat tatty interior (what looked like claw marks on the inside drivers door handle?). Unfortunately car hadn't yet been valeted by the garage which would have helped.

* Smell of petrol when starting engine - other half doesn't think this is necessarily a bad sign.

* Small gap between bodywork and rear light on drivers side (being a bit picky here probs).

* Slight kerbing on all four alloys.

* Few scratches but to be expected on age vehicle and I know the black shows 'em up!

Also to note that it could do with a new tyre soonish and needs a P3 service soon.

Good points

* Love, love, love the Nismo kit

* Is the colour (both interior and exterior) that I've always wanted.

* Garage/dealer is about 20 miles away and car comes with 3 month warranty.

* As luck would have it a colleague of mine knows the bloke that runs the garage and a quick phone call knocked £500 off the price before I'd set foot in the showroom.

* Garage were very good at letting us view the car in peace and not at all pushy. Also more than happily gave us photocopies of the registration documents for us to check MOT history online (there were a few things it failed on in Feb 10's MOT but all delt with).

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers,

S.

I've not known the seats and gear knob to branded with nismo if the factory kit is fitted, this could have possibly been an optional extra aswell. You can tell if the kit is genuine only buy removing the bumper where there should be a nismo sticker, you may be able to see it if the car is on a lift.

This one may interest you:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Thanks Steve :)

Do you know if a FF kit would still be classed as a modification for insurance purposes? I'm also assuming that a FF would be more desirable for reselling hence the Q's

Mighty nice car in the link and cheers also for that. TBH I'm after a <06 due to the lower tax.

S.

Thanks Steve :)

Do you know if a FF kit would still be classed as a modification for insurance purposes? I'm also assuming that a FF would be more desirable for reselling hence the Q's

Mighty nice car in the link and cheers also for that. TBH I'm after a <06 due to the lower tax.

S.

No worries. As it's an optional extra I would insure it as a modification as insurance companies only recognise them as standard models, you have to add the extra bits on yourself. It shouldn't cost much more to be honest, when I had my first 350z which I sold last year, it had the FF nismo kit, I was paying around £650, aged 25 and with 8 years protected no claims.

I know what you mean about the road tax, I'm currently looking for another zed with nismo kit etc, for the sake of an extra £200 a year I would rather have the face lift as I prefer the interior and the light upgrades. Personal choice though.

Hi all,

I've seen a Zed which I've pretty much fallen in love with but from reading buyers guides to the 350s I believe that a complete service history is very important. Unfortunately this car has no service history for 06 and 09 and is a high mileage car (86K on a 54 plate with 20K being done in the last 12 months).

How much of a concern should this be? The last service was in October 10 (L1); in Feb 10 it had a P1 and in Nov 08 a P2. It has mainly been serviced by Nissan apart from Feb 10 where it was a local.

Cheers,

S.

Does the price reflect this?

Also try ringing the Nissan dealership in question and try obtain some details between those dates, you never know they may have some...

If the price reflects the missing history. I would purchase it and carry out a P3 (or P2) myself just for peace of mind seeing as it's done a large chunk of miles within the last year :thumbs:

EDITED!! I've changed the title as I now know that the car was reg. in Oxford (thanks Pete) and the last owner was from the Selly Oak area of Birminghan and the owner before that from Newcastle near Stoke on Trent. If anyone has any info on the car then I'd be mighty grateful!

Steve - hope you manage to find the perfect Zed you're after :) to be fair an extra £200 a year isn't an awful lot to spend but I'm unfortunately looking at the cheaper end of the market as I'm a cheapskate! I'm starting to regret my penny pinching ways though as to save cash I've always been a named driver on other people's insurance which means I've not yet got any no years claims of my own at the ripe old age of 27. Doh! ;)

Definitely declare the kit mate - bear in mind as well that many insurance companies charge you more for the modification but don't actually insure the mod itself (such as the ever popular Admiral, Elephant ETC).

In basic terms that means if you have a crash they will NOT replace any damage to the Nismo bits with Nismo bits - it'll be OEM replacement........unless you pay the EXTRA premium on top of the EXTRA premium you've already paid :thumbdown:

Thanks Hassan.

The car is at an independant dealers and is listed at £9k. A colleague knows the bloke who runs the garage and I got him introduce me on the phone to the dealer and was told £8.5k as I would be paying cash.

The Parkers guide price for this spec car (full GT spec) at indie dealers with 86K is about £8,400 (and about £7,800 for a GT without the extras) although from what I've seen on PistonHeads and Autotrader the Parkers guide seems a bit wide of the mark when it comes to real world prices.

S.

Steve - hope you manage to find the perfect Zed you're after :) to be fair an extra £200 a year isn't an awful lot to spend but I'm unfortunately looking at the cheaper end of the market as I'm a cheapskate! I'm starting to regret my penny pinching ways though as to save cash I've always been a named driver on other people's insurance which means I've not yet got any no years claims of my own at the ripe old age of 27. Doh! ;)

Thanks mate. I have just done a quick quote for myself now aged 26 and with 1 years no claim earnt on another vehicle as my other 8 are on my VW Transporter Sportline work van. I put the Nismo kit on as an optional extra and the quotes on comparethemarket.com came back as just over £1000 for elephant and admiral. So i went on gocompare and did the same quote and they came back as £850 ish for elephant and admiral (essentially the same company). Then i went onto elephants own website and got a quote for just under £800!!!! Mental :headhurt: It definitely pays to shop around. I find it is cheaper if i put my girlfriend on as a named driver. Dont accept original quotes from compare sites(unless they are very reasonable) i read an article recently stating that you can save money by calling the exact same companies that have quoted you on compare sites as the compare sites can put at least £65 commission onto the insurance premiums quoted on there sites. :wacko: