Trolley Jack+Axle Stands

ScottyZ

Akrapovic full cat back exhaust is on it's way and I would really like to fit it myself (pretty confident with bolt on stuff and don't know any mechanics I can trust). Question is can this be done with trolley jack and axle stands or is going to a garage and using a car lift the only way to do it?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Scotty

I had this in mind when i purchased a y pipe/cat back exhaust. I have most tools ect but the bolts did not want to move. I took it down the garage while i waited and done in no time at all. Some times you just have to give in and let the pro's do it.

I bought a Y pipe back system (K2) from Japspeed and thought about doing it at home -

You can't really get under to fit it, on a jack and axle stands - I sized it up and there's no way I'd fit under. (Mind you that says as much about the size of my beergut than anything else!)

One local garage said they'd hire me a lift for a couple of hours for £20 which I thought was pretty good, but another local garage (who I used to use for my Volvo) said they'd fit it for the time it took - and were sure it would be less than an hour.

In the end it only took half an hour (though they ended up with the main mechanic and an apprentice on the job) but they only charged £27.50 plus VAT

If you want to do it yourself, it's just so much easier under a proper lift, you can get in, there's no crawling about - and I completely understand your wanting to do it rather than let some unknown (and potentially a moron gorilla) loose under your car -

Good Luck - and you'll love the sound when it's done

Your standard exhaust may well need an angle grinder taken to a bolt or two, so be mindful of that.

I would hope not just yet on a 370 :scare:

My 350Z needed a couple of bolts cut after a year and it doesn't even live outside!

Its all about trust I would use my local man because he is very knowlegable about the Z and its particular problems, heat shields etc. They always advise me to run the car for a few days and come back if there is any rattles etc, not uncommon in fitting exhausts because of its issues.

Be carefull about the use of impact tools around the fitting of your cats, they have been known to cause breaks due to the vibration level from the tool my local fitter does these by hand tools because of this.

I think someone has said that it would be worth saying where you live and then any local Z owners can specify places they have used?

What ever you do keep us in touch and a few photos would be good. :wave:

i would taki it to a garage if your not really confident, and if its 370..not worth sheering a bolt on that then paying to sort sheered bolt, easiest way i found to get the nut off was blow torching it...im a bit dangerous and done this on a trolley jack and axle stands and the exhaust popped out fine.(that was on a 8 year old imported nut that lives outside in ALL weather) you may not be that dangerous though :lol:

your best bet if you really want to do it yourself is give garage a fiver (they will get more leverage on a ramp) to crack nuts bring it home and then easy as pie :thumbs:

Scotty, there'll be no fitment probs with the Akro mate :thumbs: It's well made and fits perfectly B) Chippy from the Channel Islands did it himself and had no probs, personally I'd bite the bullet and get a trusted, recommended garage to do it, paying very special attention to the tips ;)

I printed off the fitting pdf from Akro's site and gave it to the mechanic, warned him over the cost off damaging the system and who would be liable, but it's a pretty staright forward swap :thumbs:

Your standard exhaust may well need an angle grinder taken to a bolt or two, so be mindful of that.

Mine definitely did and turned out to be a nightmare. But mine is an 07, so a 370z may not be as rusty underneath.

I just jacked mine up and dumped it on axle stands. The nuts which you undo were all seriously seized and no way would come off. So, had to cut them off with mr angle grinder. Then, one bolt sheared off, so had to drill (took me ages) it out and put a new bolt in. Had to cut through the actual exhaust pipe to get he original back box off as there wasnt enough room to get the grinder in there. And thats all with me taking my time and being gentle.

All in all, im pleased I did the work myself, as I know for a FACT any local garage would have just put their air gun on it and snapped all the bolts off straight away, then they would have had more of a nightmare than I had trying to do it and probably have ended up bodging it up.

Ive had so many bad experiences with garages that i *always* do all my own mechanics now.

Ive had so many bad experiences with garages that i *always* do all my own mechanics now.

But many of us have used guys/garages who we know do a super job and are far removed from those cowboys out there ;)

But many of us have used guys/garages who we know do a super job and are far removed from those cowboys out there ;)

+1 :thumbs: they want return trade,its good for business get friendly with you local mechanic :doh:

I would hope not just yet on a 370 :scare:

My 350Z needed a couple of bolts cut after a year and it doesn't even live outside!

Yours was welded on my Sellafield radiation :p

+1 :thumbs: they want return trade,its good for business get friendly with you local mechanic :doh:

Excellent if you can find someone like that. Ive tried big chains, small garages all sorts in the past with various cars and am yet to find a decent one. In fact most of my mates now bring their cars to me for their servicing & mechanical work!

Is it really worth saving £50-£60 by getting a friendly garage to do it. :shrug:

If you post up your location I'm sure locals will be able to recommend somewhere ;)

Saving a few quid by doing it myself was not the issue. I want to do it myself because then I know for sure it's been fitted correctly. I'm pretty good at mechanicals but in this case really need a car lift to do a proper job. Think I'll try to find a garage that is willing to let me use their car lift for a few quid. Failing that I'm in South Leicestershire just off junction 20 of the M1 if anyone can recommend a garage that I can check out.

Cheers,

Scotty

I have changed all my exhausts myself :thumbs: .... with a little help from a friend :#1:

It is a bit of a squeeze underneath but very doable yourself. I would just go round and see if you can loosen all the bolts yourself..... if you can then carry on, if not then take to a garage.

You may find that some garages will let you stand around and keep an eye on what they are doing..... or even help :thumbs:

+ 1 on taking a visit to CS

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been in touch with CS as per the recommendations from this thread. Very helpful and reassuring which is what you want when putting £2300 worth of exhaust and HFC's on the pride and joy!