Wideband AFR gauge- Which one ?

Neilp

I'm looking on some info about dual band AFR gauges.

I'm going to be running nitrous so I want to have the AFR gauge monitoring each bank of cylinders seperately.

The problem is I don't have the first clue on which one to buy. Should I buy a dual one or buy two seperate gauges to monitor each bank.

Any information will be greatly received.

Also if any traders can supply these then feel free to provide a price :thumbs:

Cheers

Not sure on dual ones but I've had the AEM UEGO AFR in both my Supra TT and currently my Zed and its great. I think the done thing in the zed is to put it in the left bank (2,4,6) as that's the one that normally runs leaner. That's where it is on mine anyway.

Paul has one for sale for a good price too. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=45987

:)

I had the AEM one - the one that Paul is selling actually :lol:

I switched it out to the HKS AFK which monitors both channels & also monitors knock. The only drawback is the price, its near enough £1k to set it up on dual channel.

DSC_2661.jpg

AEM fitted

DSC_3450.jpg

HKS fitted

Cheers for the info guys. I'm not too sure if its worth going down the route of fitting two seperate gauges. I'm not actually too sure whats really required. I dont want to waste money if I don't need it.

Paul you have a pm coming your way :thumbs:

Cheers for the info guys. I'm not too sure if its worth going down the route of fitting two seperate gauges. I'm not actually too sure whats really required. I dont want to waste money if I don't need it.

Realistically you don't want a gauge at all, you want a big flashy red light that tells you if something is wrong. Gauges are great if you need accurate numbers but they're also intrusive and distracting, whereas a big flashy red light that only activates when things are bad is a much simpler and more effective solution. It would be relatively simple to rig up a subtle light into the main dash cluster too. :thumbs:

Realistically you don't want a gauge at all, you want a big flashy red light that tells you if something is wrong. Gauges are great if you need accurate numbers but they're also intrusive and distracting, whereas a big flashy red light that only activates when things are bad is a much simpler and more effective solution. It would be relatively simple to rig up a subtle light into the main dash cluster too. :thumbs:

Sounds a good, simple idea, but how would that work in practice? With AFR surely there are too many variables. It would need to monitor the AFR, Engine load/throttle position and revs at a minimum. eg. A light that simply comes on at 13:1 would be no good as when cruising at part throttle it would be on all the time and if you had it any higher, and you was at WOT at 6500rpm, your engine would be toast. :headhurt:

I think it would cost to much to get a system to work with just a light for AFR. But your right about the gauges being a distraction.

I do think they are necessary in an FI or or Nos'd zed. I have recently discovered that I had a faulty injector and was running lean sometimes. Without the AFR gauge I wouldn't have been able to diagnose it. And I'm sure if Wasso had one, he wouldn't have melted his plugs on the Wales run.

AFR gauges (and all other gauges for that matter) are great for diagnosing problems or preventing a failure If you spot somthings wrong before anything gets damaged.

For things like fuel pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, EGT etc etc... you cant beat the defi system, I had my oil temp hit the alarm point at 130 deg C on track at silverstone while proving a point to a subaru TA car (that would not move over ha!) and if i did not have the defi alarm set up I would have NEVER noticed the oil temp was getting dangerously high! I would say that a well set up gauge monitoring system is well worth the out lay if it save your motor!

I use an Innovate LM-2 dual wideband on my 350GT, reasonable price and it also has data-logging for five other channels, so you can monitor things like AFM voltage, throttle position etc, the LM-2 has received a little bad press, but i think that was the early production runs, mine has been fine so far, use to use the LM-1 setup on my Supra for years with no problems.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

I use an Innovate LM-2 dual wideband on my 350GT, reasonable price and it also has data-logging for five other channels, so you can monitor things like AFM voltage, throttle position etc, the LM-2 has received a little bad press, but i think that was the early production runs, mine has been fine so far, use to use the LM-1 setup on my Supra for years with no problems.

out of interest mate, what did you pay for you lm-2 setup?

Neil,

I run the LM2 system, Defi Link system with the warning indicator and a AEM AFR Uego controller.

Easy to monitor with the Defi warning indicator as that is four gauges that you do not require to permanently watch.

out of interest mate, what did you pay for you lm-2 setup?

I got mine from this guy, who i think based in Poland, but i think he now has outlets in the UK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INNOVATE-LM-2-DUA ... 1c1478bc66

Neil,

I run the LM2 system, Defi Link system with the warning indicator and a AEM AFR Uego controller.

Easy to monitor with the Defi warning indicator as that is four gauges that you do not require to permanently watch.

Why an AEM AFR Uego controller as well as the LM-2 Alex?

Neil,

Why an AEM AFR Uego controller as well as the LM-2 Alex?

Double safety mate :thumbs::lol:

AEM is a permanent fixture whereas the LM2 is portable. :thumbs: