Engine bay revamp - updated with final pics - pg 4

Ricey

**EDIT** updated 05/06/2011 - updated thread title to make it a bit more relevan***

...........my potential epic fail is actually going quite well at the moment. Glrnet's advice is going down a treat!

Question - whilst I'm getting over ambitious - could you spray the intake pipe or is that just asking for trouble in my unskilled hands?

Also I've got colour and lacquer in my little kit thingy - it is ok to put lacquer on isn't it? Its not going to react badly to the heat or anything.

Be gentle........I'm having a go which is the main thing. :dance:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay :yahoo::yahoo: Way to go Ricey :thumbs:

At this point I must point out that I take no responsibility whatsoever for your newly found confidence :wacko: However, if it all goes well then a pint of foaming ale is quite acceptable ;)

I'm not sure about the intake pipe either,sorry :shrug:

Well done for having a go mate :)

:worthless:

:ninja: I'm still mid spray.

I was a bit nervous about BMW Hot Orange to be honest but its dried really nice.

Another couple of coats, some lacquer and I'm there I reckons.

Must remember to put the powersteering cap back on before Carla drives off tomorrow! :scare:

If the weather holds I'm going to have a crack at the engine cover on Friday............is there anyway to retain the silver of the lettering on the engine cover? Masking it seems like a right impossible job.

Assume the Nissan badge just pulls off?

:worthless:

:ninja: I'm still mid spray.

I was a bit nervous about BMW Hot Orange to be honest but its dried really nice.

Another couple of coats, some lacquer and I'm there I reckons.

Must remember to put the powersteering cap back on before Carla drives off tomorrow! :scare:

If the weather holds I'm going to have a crack at the engine cover on Friday............is there anyway to retain the silver of the lettering on the engine cover? Masking it seems like a right impossible job.

Assume the Nissan badge just pulls off?

Are you offering this service in Wales, wouldnt mind mine done.

PS I should have something for sale thats right up your street, will reserve it Saturday for you :thumbs: Just bring £15 ;)

the nissan badge is plastic welded at the back, if you turn the engine cover over and take a knife to it you shouldbe able to take the weld off and then removew the badge.

as for the lettering you'll loose it. no way of masking it off.

key to painting is patience and preperation

Thanks for the comments guys. As for the write up.........seriously you don't want one from me. I'm a bodge it bob, I make it up as I go along, cut corners and generally do half a job.

This has come out really well but its probably not as good as it could of been. I had no sandpaper so it did no keying, I also didn't wet and dry to get a smoother finish at any point.

I did it outside, in a high wind, in an air chamber made out of a broken patio umbrella and a giant silver car cover which quickly turned itself into a parachute.

But if you really want to know;

- cleaned the bits before hand with a normal kitchen degrease spray and some kitchen roll.

- 3 coats of primer.

- 5-7 coats of paint.

- 3-5 coats of lacquer.

Given that I was operating in a high wind its arguable how much of those coats actually hit the intended target. Its obviously important to keep your distance from the object your spraying otherwise you can cause a run. Its all about light coats and building up the colour.

I sprayed around 6 inches from the object and did it in sweeping, controlled bursts (i.e not just holding down the nozzle and spraying everywhere).

I had some nozzle clogging issues where it would spit out blobs at times (they seemed to settle ok though) so make sure you turn the can upside down and spray until it clears to keep the nozzle unclogged.

The holes for the bolts are a bit more tricky so make sure you kind of walk around the object and spray from all angles.

Time between coats was as quick as 5-10 mins (says 15-20 on the tin though).

All in all I'm really pleased with it.........but it was a typically "Ricey" style effort that paid off for once.

I was tempted to have a crack at the strut bar too but I bugged out before I caused a **** up.

i wondered why it had a slight satin finish to it, its the texture of the plastic. still looks a good job though. you might find that in 12 months it might bubble or peel. (hopefully not)

if you sanded it flat and keyed the surface you can achieve a real high gloss finish, its difficult to tell from the pics as the light refelction washes the image out slightly. but from the photos they still look really good. lots of people screw painting up and its not as easy as it looks.

ricey you have earned a very rare and special award.

i award thee a Biscuit gold star of excellence :thumbs:

gold_star_02.jpg