A quick vote on wheel sizes

coldel

I use my Z everyday, lots of smaller 30mph roads as well.

I am going to change the wheels at some point, been looking only at 19" so far but wondering, maybe I should stick to 18s. Principle being that given I use it so much that comfort in the longer term is probably more important than 19" looks? What do you think? Are 19s that much more uncomfortable?

18" for me. 19" looks prettier but the extra cost of tyres and making your car handle worse isn't worth it in my eyes. They're probably not going to be that much more uncomfortable than 18"s in the real world, but it's the extra weight that would put me off.

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to wheels, I understand that they need to be 5x114 for the bolts to fit, where I am falling over a bit is offset and clearance of the brembos.

Seems most alloys are not concave enough to clear the brakes, is the solution simply to buy spacers and fit them behind the wheels?

I (personally) don't see the point in changing wheels unless you get the correct offset in the first place. Might aswell keep the standard wheels or gets rays and space them. That's my opinion......

I actually don't like the look of the Rays that much (sorry everyone!) and my current ones are battered, seems a waste to spend £300 refurbing the standard ones when for a little more I could get some much better looking 18s...

No they aren't, sorry I didn't explain properly. I don't like the look of the Rays, I have the standard 6 spokes but they are shot to pieces so they need replacing. So I am thinking of venturing into aftermarket alloys rather than just defaulting to the Rays.

You can get 19'' wheels which will not differ considerably from the Rays offering and in some instances can even be lighter. Moreover, 19'' wheels often come with wider stances and with some premium tyres, the trade-off in performance is very questionable. In terms of design, the wheel arches are clearly built for a 19'' wheel. Why these were never made as standard is anyone's guess, but 20'' is simply too big and 18'' is too small when you look at them on the car.

Hmmmm...I am thinking that I get some used 18s, switch the ones I currently have keep the tyres and longer term maybe look to 19s. Just cant spare the £1k for a set of 19s at the moment with the bodywork stuff I need to pay out for.

19 for show. B)

18 for go. :drive1

Simple. :thumbs:

_DSC5874.JPG

Captain here has the only wheels I like in 18" :thumbs: But they are pretty heavy :p

Unless you're at a track, I really doubt you're going to notice.

19"s have no real effect on comfort from what I've experienced, but I guess they would probably have a smaller sidewall so you may feel bumps slightly more.

Ive had 2 astra VXR's recently my first one had oem 18's and it was great. Second one had oem 19 inch anthracites. I didnt notice any difference in performance but the ride on the 19's was terrible. IMO far to many potholes nowadays ;)

Or maybee i'm just getting old :dry:

i ve just change to 19s and if fitted with the correct tyre sizes (245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear)you wont notice any differents in ride.

i love the look on how the fill the arches. B)

Id have to say 19". I find the ride a little more fidgety than on 18",but that was to be expected i feel,as is a little more tramlining. However,the trade off in looks i feel is worth it. See what you think.

Standard wheels

bd199489.jpg

8a9c125b.jpg

DSC01752.jpg

19" Varrstoen Es2.2 (custom colour)

2e0f2adc.jpg

0450a304.jpg

140c1564.jpg

Nice varrstoens, but the width of the tyres affects tramlining, don't think the diameter of the wheel would?

BTW what nuts are those?

Very true,the width is what does it,but i hate the streeeeeeeeeetched look.

The wheel bolts are from Sarah at Chilli Red,cant remember exactly the make,but they are the short version. I think they set the car off a treat.

Very true,the width is what does it,but i hate the streeeeeeeeeetched look.

The wheel bolts are from Sarah at Chilli Red,cant remember exactly the make,but they are the short version. I think they set the car off a treat.

Yeah, sorry, my point was you could get 18"s just as wide, if not wider and you'd have the same issues.

Ahh wonder whether they're the 5zigens. They are nice though :thumbs: