shall I buy this car for £6500? 24 hours to decide

skidder

hi.

Looking for a bit of advice if possible.Been looking for a Z for a while now.Found one for £6500.(this is my offer)

Its a red 2004 GT with 80k on the clock.

No real bad marks although the paint has a few swirls.

Alloys need refurbing.Tires about 4mil left.

Car seems to drive ok.No dodgy noises on acceleration or stopping.

History is near non existent. 3 stamps going up to 40k.All P1.

Seller got a few quid and looks like just wants rid, taking up space etc.

Done a hpi check.All tallys up.

12 months MOT.

Noticed oil pressure hovering between 60+70 on heavy acceleration.Presume this is ok?

I'm literally dieing to get a zed but obviously don't want to make a big mistake!

I know its cheap but is it worth the risk?

Look forward to your replys and thanks in advance.

Chris

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id walk unless the seller could prove to me that the car had had major service etc. If he`s got cash then id have expected him to have a service history, unless he hasnt had the car very long.

If its cheap, its cheap for a reason.

Key thing is not to let your heart rule your head!!!!

thanks for the reply. He did phone the garage and said it had a service in april 2010.Said he'd get the book stamped tomorrow for me. Hes had it about a year. I mean the car wasn't even washed when I got there, still had bird poop on it!

Get an AA check done.

If ok, consider buying it and get a P3 service done.

Bear in mind that those two things will probably set you back £500-£600 depending on where you are in the country. The AA check may hightlight other things that need replacing meaning that your £6500 car could be a £7500+ car quite quickly.

If you think you might keep it 3 or 4 years then it could be a bargain, as you could build up a service history. If you might punt it on in 6-12 months then you could find it hard to shift.

I wouldn't rule it out, but for me, i'd want it cheaper than £6500 as there are plenty of decent UK GT's for less than £8k....

Think I'll echo what some of the others have said..........

Zed's are bulletproff as long as they've been looked after. The lack of any history and unwashed appearance indicate it's been badly looked after.

I'd walk and go spend another £1500 on a better example. To be honest for £7.5-8k I think you should be able to get a nice example early model with similar or maybe even less miles.

What does your head say?.......

You maybe able to call up Nissan and have them check the reg number to see if its had any services done at Nissan dealerships which may not have been put in the book.

The AA / RAC inspection is a very good suggestion. They dont cost that much compared to what they may save you in the log run.

I must say I let my heart rule my head a bit...suddenly found that I need to find £500 for new tyres all round in the next few months, also the small crack in the windscreen I thought I could get done on insurance is non repairable so needs a full windscreen change. Also got a little dent in the front bumper which needs looking at.

I went on my own but wish I had taken a buddy who could have helped make a more objective call on it.

YOU have got to decide if it's the car for you. No-one on here is going to drive it, many will probably never see it. See if you can knock the price down a little more as you'll be going with ££ in your sweaty little mits. If it's cheap, runs ok and you're happy then what the hell. You've got a smart runabout for the summer. It's 6 years old, who's bothered about service history now? You won't get any more because of that if you chop it in next year.

If you buy it spend the weekend polishing and fettling, change the engine oil and filter and check everything you can think of or take it for a MOT, a cheap way to find any probs.

Good luck.

Same comments as everyone else, call Nissan and any garages that have worked on it to get history copies but go in nice and low - maybe offer £6K max :shrug: That way if there are any problems you shouldn't lose out too much if you need to re-sell. The seller will have a right job on shifting it with cr*p history, especially as good cars seem to sell slowly at the moment. So you might end up with a bargain. I would be offering different advice if you were spending the going rate though.

I'm sure you know that running costs will be more than a £6K hatch, and that just because it's cheap it doesn't mean that cheap aftermarket tack is allowed :lol:

Good luck!

thanks for the replys everyone.

My heart just says hes a bit of a slacker.Lazy advert and didnt bother getting the book stamped.He phoned the garage while I was there and they apparently stated it was serviced last april.Its only got one months mot on it now but said he'd mot it tomorrow and its mine for £6500.To be honest I dont think he'll take £6000 for it,probably haggle it down to £6300.Probably worth a punt. I drive fast but this guy wellied it and it stopped on a dime.( I nearly asked him to slow down!)When I got there he had to jump it as he hadn't used it for months.The alloys need refurbed which I guess would be 200 quid.Leather all in good nick and even no stone chips on the front!Tax out next month.CD player doesnt seem to skip, all electrics working, air con etc.

Hes also got a camaro outside(not for sale).He's not a dealer as I asked him about the car he had for sale and he replied 'owe the 350z'.

Anything else you guys think I should check for?

thanks again

Chris

thanks for the replys everyone.

My heart just says hes a bit of a slacker.Lazy advert and didnt bother getting the book stamped.He phoned the garage while I was there and they apparently stated it was serviced last april.Its only got one months mot on it now but said he'd mot it tomorrow and its mine for £6500.To be honest I dont think he'll take £6000 for it,probably haggle it down to £6300.Probably worth a punt. I drive fast but this guy wellied it and it stopped on a dime.( I nearly asked him to slow down!)When I got there he had to jump it as he hadn't used it for months.The alloys need refurbed which I guess would be 200 quid.Leather all in good nick and even no stone chips on the front!Tax out next month.CD player doesnt seem to skip, all electrics working, air con etc.

Hes also got a camaro outside(not for sale).He's not a dealer as I asked him about the car he had for sale and he replied 'owe the 350z'.

Anything else you guys think I should check for?

thanks again

Chris

Immediately obvious that your desperate to get into Zed ownership which is always a bad place to be when making a difficult decision on a car........if you can afford to spend more then I'd seriously consider walking. If this is your budget then yes your going to need to take a punt on something like this.

Lets assume that said slacker is a rich boy with no respect for something as valuable as a Zed and he drives it like that all the time - if it has got patchy history whats been in that engine whilst he's been ragging it.

You know straight away that your probably going to need a new battery (if the winters killed it I wouldn't be surprised if its goosed) and a P3 service - your already in 7k territory.

Good luck whatever you decide :thumbs:

This could be the bargain of the year or a pain in the arse.

I've bought cars off rich gits in the past who don't seem to appreciate the cars. They either hand it to the dealer once a year with a blank cheque and say do what it needs... or they forget and and haggle and do the bare minimum.

Best to ask him which dealers he has had it serviced at - press him for this as Nissan UK don't hold any central records unlike most German mfrs. Then ring the dealers who will tell you exactly what its had done themselves.

If you're not confident about checking the car out properly yourself then get a garage or AA inspection!

New MOT will have "yes" in the advisories box if it has any - if he loses the sheet then you can look it up online with the V5 ref.

At £6.5k you are 1.5 grand or so under the normal asking price, so even if you have to spend a few quid on it to make it mint you have room to manouvre.

if it's sound in the engine, gearbox and straight BUY

Get it to a garage and check it out, wouldnt care about service record.

Anders your such a renegade! :lol:

:snack: well in my book if you buy something cheap and it seems good enough put a little 1-2k budget aside for unforseen things that was hidden, if he just get it checked out then he'll be just as fine getting that yoke then he would be getting an absolute minter and paying top dollar for it. Never really failed on me, although some things creap up when you've wasted the budget aside for mods :blush::lol:

Interestingly I bought a possibly iffy 2004 car early this year.

No service history, the only photo was of it under some snow, and priced at £7500 (with 39k on the clock).

I went to take a look and the seller had it valeted, refurbed the wheels (not brilliantly, but looked good), fitted brand new tyres and gave me a few spares he had kicking about for it. Biggest problem was due to the weather we couldn't test drive it.

He claimed that the garage had lost the service book when it had it's last service and promised he would get a replacement from them. I didn't have any faith in getting the service book but the car looked good and felt solid with no real signs of wear and tear on the inside or outside.

Bought it - having tons of fun.

Always wondered if it'd be worth trying to get the service history on it - and how I'd do it. Call the Nissan garage he said did the work?

It's got 41k on it now - is it due another service yet?

thanks for the replys everyone.much appreciated.

I will say this..I'm 39 now and been looking for some time..owned a few nissans..200sx,300zx and enjoyed them every minute of my life!

Bottom end went on the ca18, turbos went on the 300zx.

But heh..you live and learn..

Hope I make the right decision tomorrow.

Cheers

Always wondered if it'd be worth trying to get the service history on it - and how I'd do it. Call the Nissan garage he said did the work?

It's got 41k on it now - is it due another service yet?

Can't do any harm to ring around - I'm sure you could get your hands on a new blank service book to post off to them.

If its got no history and you've not had a service done yourself then most people would probably recommend having a P3 done just to make sure.

You get what you pay for... no such thing as a bargain. If its under priced then there will be a reason for it. Oh and wealthy folks are often the tightest. Sorry but caveat emptor......... :thumbdown:

that is sometimes true, reason the got the money to start with :D