Front apron resprayed and 2 days later..bad again!

sprevett

got the front of my gunmetal Z resprayed by local chap who I use often and is good. But a weekend of motorway driving and it's already 'prickled' with tiny White marks :rant:

He's a bit gutted too and said he used 4 coats of lacquer as usual, so suggested I see if anyone knows how to improve the situation, short of protective film which I don't want to do really .

Any ideas or suggestions? If lacquer is lacquer how come some cars just don't seem to chip badly when others do?

Def chipping. Not much to photo as they are tiny White dots spread across the frontal area. You hardly notice them unless you're looking closely. I know these cars are prone but had hoped for a while longer before things started to appear. He said he could respray again but added that unless he knew what to do differently it would probably just be the same again, and also added that he does of lot car front ends especially beemers for some reason...

The paint/laquer was likely not cured or hardened enough in the first couple of days.

I noticed the last time I had my front end sprayed (due to stone chips) that i had a similar issue within a couple of days but once the paint hardened properly there were no further marks.

I guess the moral of the story is don't take your Zed out much for a few days until paint settles.

Edit - BulletMagnet, that avatar is VERY distracting (any chance of a bigger image to save me straining my eyes everytime you post :lol: ).

yep the chemicals haven't had time to evaporate fully from the paint, it might have been hard to the touch on the surface but underneath possibly quiet soft. making it very easy to chip it and dent it. if he put 4 coats on top it might just have needed a longer curing time.

might not be an applicator error as some paints can take over 2 weeks to go off properly. and alot of bodyshops will tell you not to drive it too much or at least keep your distance till the paint has fully cured.

What he said ^^^^

4 coats of lacquer will take a long time to dry/harden and how long did they leave between coats?

This time of year would probably need 24 hours each coat,unless they were using heaters.

Just thought this needed to back in view :p

Scrolled down and my concentration came back :lol:

Edit - BulletMagnet, that avatar is VERY distracting (any chance of a bigger image to save me straining my eyes everytime you post :lol: ).

JaydenJaymes-1.gif

AHHHHhhhhhHHHhhhh there they are again :blush:B)

Who said that???

Whats for tea???

Where am I????

• 3 months later...
yep the chemicals haven't had time to evaporate fully from the paint, it might have been hard to the touch on the surface but underneath possibly quiet soft. making it very easy to chip it and dent it. if he put 4 coats on top it might just have needed a longer curing time.

might not be an applicator error as some paints can take over 2 weeks to go off properly. and alot of bodyshops will tell you not to drive it too much or at least keep your distance till the paint has fully cured.

+1

RT Performance just did my rear bumper and said the same thing, 2 weeks...