Just got 35mpg on a 350 mile trip...!

marzman

I had to drive up to Durham today to meet some clients, which was a bit of a trek...!

So i set off with the intention of driving as economically as i could... i.e. not using my brakes, not revving past 3k revs etc... i kept at a constant speed of 70mph most of the way, dropping down to 50mph for about 20 miles due to roadworks/average speed cameras... and i managed to get home with a reading of 34.97 MPG... :#1:

Im very happy with that.

Just thought i'd share.. :D

I had to drive up to Durham today to meet some clients, which was a bit of a trek...!

So i set off with the intention of driving as economically as i could... i.e. not using my brakes, not revving past 3k revs etc... i kept at a constant speed of 70mph most of the way, dropping down to 50mph for about 20 miles due to roadworks/average speed cameras... and i managed to get home with a reading of 34.97 MPG... :#1:

Im very happy with that.

Just thought i'd share.. :D

Cool-story-bro-you-should-write-a-book.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=cool-story-bro-house

:lol:

This reminds me of the petrol crisis around 10 yrs ago when pumps ran dry and the roads were like a scene from MadMax.

I remember trying to coast the last two bends to my driveway to the extent I barely needed to touch the brakes as I parked up :lol:

Fun challenge at first, but required soooo much concentration and planning to not hit a red light or have to brake too suddenly. Kinda like planning out a big snooker break.......hope we never face that again :headhurt:

i did a few weeks experiment to see what kinda mpg i could get out of the zed, stuck the throttle control on eco5, never went about 2-2.5k rpm rarely used over 15-20% throttle, tried to not stop at lights etc, could average 33 on back roads 30 in town and if you stik to 60mph on motorways you get gat 36 or so if your good enough.

but hell it got boring after a while! ok when the weather is shocking though.

saying that did 20 miles back roads the other day, not ragging it all the time and got around 25 mpg, stuck it at 70 for 40 mile of motorway and it was soon up to 31+

Why at a consistent idle would the rate of petrol being consumed increase? Not really that self explanatory methinks...

Because as the car sees it, the milage you have done for the current fuel usage is on average dropping. All it does is divide the number of miles you have done by the petrol you have used, use petrol without going anywhere and the average will drop :bangin:

Another thing i found supprising is you use more fuel in neutral so if your coming up to a junction keep it in gear and dont just coast up ;)

Again, not when you think about it ;) When coasting, the engine has to keep itself idling/spinning which means it uses a certain amount of fuel to keep the engine, flywheel and other running gear turning. When keeping it in gear and under no load, road speed is spinning the engine, and the ECU knows this, so it cuts all but the bare minimum of fuel from the engine (infact I think these days it does actually cut all fuel) meaning it uses next to sod all if any fuel until you put the engine under load again.

Been like that for a good few years now :thumbs:

EDIT: Hang on think I might have misread that. Are you talking about coasting in gear vs out of gear or constantly coming to stop and starting again vs slowly crawling all the way?