370Z clutch smell

370zharv

Has anyone with a manual 370Z had any issues with thier clutch yet?

I have just had my car, and on several occasions noticed a good whiff of clutch. I havn't noticed it slip at all, but must say for a new car its bite is very close to the top - would like to know if others cars are like this too?

Just over 4k and no clutch smells yet, you sure it wasn't brakes? I've had them a bit "hot" a couple of times :lol: Had a burny type smell when the Akro was new, but that was to be expected.

My guess would be brakes.

With SRM there shouldnt be any reason for the clutch to be burning unless you've been launching it :drive1

I will hazard a guess that you are getting clutch smell , when you have to work the clutch ie either at junctions or inclines. Ive also have had the same issues with both my 370s, where i live it is very hilly . So i now tend to use the handbrake when i have to stop at junctions with a incline, problem solved.

Its 100% clutch smell

Noticed it a few times on and off, I am wondering if it is when the sports mode is on, as since not using it I havn't noticed it. I am starting to wonder if having this on for normal driving is a bad idea as if your using the clutch normally and not quickly releasing it and it blips the throttle whilst you are still bringing the clutch up????

Already mentioned it to dealer incase it does go later on, hopefully I wont have a battle on my hands for a warranty claim if it does go!!

Its 100% clutch smell

Noticed it a few times on and off, I am wondering if it is when the sports mode is on, as since not using it I havn't noticed it. I am starting to wonder if having this on for normal driving is a bad idea as if your using the clutch normally and not quickly releasing it and it blips the throttle whilst you are still bringing the clutch up????

Already mentioned it to dealer incase it does go later on, hopefully I wont have a battle on my hands for a warranty claim if it does go!!

I have the syncro rev match on all the time and no clutch smell.

The only time I have noticed the clutch is, er, on the odd brisk take-off usually combined with the smell of burning rubber. :blush:

SRM should completely alliveate these kinds of problems as it matches the revs to the drive train speed. The smell comes from the drivetrain and engine spinning at different speeds when the clutch is not fully released and the plates rub together. By using SRM it should keep the speeds matched and thus no burining smell ;)

I had a really strong smell of clutch at around 200 miles. I've now done 700 miles and have had no further issues. The smell of clutch that I had at 200 miles was where I was on a steep incline and I think the uphill start support system kicked in, so maybe something to do with that?

Cheers,

Scotty.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep clutch smell on mine too. I get it pretty much everytime I reverse mine into my garage, it's due to the slight raise, the bastard auto handbrake kicks in :rant: I hate, hate, hate it!!! Single handedly the worst feature they added to the car, it even kicks in on flat ground sometimes! You might be able to tell it winds me up a bit and smelling clutch is the worst thing in the world on a sub 4k car. I doubt I would smell it without the auto handbrake though.

• 2 months later...

I parked up a kerb at the Trafford centre last night,,,, i very, very slowly reversed one back wheel then one from wheel up, there was no major clutch slip, or exessive reving involved ,, but got out to one Horrible stink.

I parked up a kerb at the Trafford centre last night,,,, i very, very slowly reversed one back wheel then one from wheel up, there was no major clutch slip, or exessive reving involved ,, but got out to one Horrible stink.

Making a mental note:

Do not visit Trafford centre - it smells :scare:

• 2 months later...

I would agree. It does smell sometimes but I've noticed it less now I've got more miles on. I don't notice slipping normally but to be honest I find the heavy gear change a bit clunky and so when changing gears you find it won't change gear as quick as you would like and you inadvertently probably slip it. I wish the gear change was smoother! My only complaint though. The srm is the best invention ever - I see masserati are now putting it in their cars.

• 1 month later...

I purchased an 2011 model, 10 months old with 4000 miles on, my drive slopes downwards, every time the car was reversed off the drive the clutch issued this disgusting smell which comes straight into the interior. I asked about it on the first service and it was suggested that there may be clutch dust in the Bell housing.

Since then the problem has deteriorated, culminating when the car was warm, trying to reverse off the drive the clutch totally started to slip and the car would not move and was shaking and stinking, it is currently in the Nissan dealership having a new fly wheel and clutch assembly fitted.

Food for thought for those of you havng smell problems.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes guys i get the 370 clutch reek too! (11.5k on my odo)

Had to nurse my lowerded 370 over nasty ramp on the way out of a car park last night. As the ramp was on a steep incline (& i needed to go over it very slowly to avoid scrape) i had to ride the clutch a fair bit using high revs.

The stench inside my car was appauling but it did clear quickly once out on the open road. Absolutely no hint of any slip i hasten to add.

I smell it to some extent everytime i have to ride cluth with slightly raised revs on the engine.

Seems fairly common & in my view, shouldn't really be happening!!

Anything to worry about??.....

I guess time will be the judge of that!

Marco

• 1 month later...

I have a smell and i cant determine wether or not its the breaks or the clutch. Not had a problem with either though apart from the odd squeak from the breaks now and again?

The car has only done 5000 miles, it seems as though this is very common?