flyboy

What air intake are you running  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What air intake are you running

• Std airbox & filter
    • Std airbox and performance filter
    • POP Charger or similar
    • Other
    • Would you upgrade to an 06 airbox at reasonable cost.

Hi all,

After the success of my DIY Plenum spacer I would like to improve my air intake.

I would like to find out who's running what and why in pre 06 cars.

Std airbox & filter

Std airbox and performance filter

POP Charger or similar

Other

Would you change to an 06 airbox at reasonable cost.

Your votes and replies would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Just fitted a pop charger on my Zed and I have to say im impressed with it so far, will be given it a proper 320 mile drive tomorrow so will see how it is then, have noticed a slight change (for the better) in performance and obviously a better sound

I think air intakes are something of a placebo effect, looking for extra performance and convincing yourself that there is when you swap the air filter over. In the grand scheme of things the standard airbox I am sure is pretty damn good and any performance filter is 0.1% an improvement...also, keep an eye out, I am not sure on the 350z filters but they generally catch particles using the oil in the filter, this oil can make its way into the elements in the air filter and mean changes are required after a while.

Stock + Performance Panel Filter or 06 box at £50.00 + Performance Panel Filter. :#1:

If you are looking for an increase in noise and a downturn in power then aftermarket CAI is the way to go. :thumbs:

Simples :)

Alex.

I got the aem short arm intake cos that's what nismo intakes are (rebranded) and cos it looks nice lol

SDC10241.jpg

My gismo intake don't look anything like that and alot longer and 3 piece :lol:

Cos urs is gay Neil that's why u want wheels to match :lol:

When I mentioned aem folk on here told me nismo rebranded them. Didn't look into it further, took their word for it

I've opted for the standard box with a K&N performace filter.

(When it arrives)

Not sure if changing the intake pipe from the filter to the throtle body would help.

The plastic stock one does get quite warm.

Maybe a silicon one or Stainless one would stay cooler, keeping the air cooler.

:shrug:

Jacko

I've opted for the standard box with a K&N performace filter.

(When it arrives)

Not sure if changing the intake pipe from the filter to the throtle body would help.

The plastic stock one does get quite warm.

Maybe a silicon one or Stainless one would stay cooler, keeping the air cooler.

:shrug:

Jacko

i think the gains are had from the velocity stack in the oem revup box. I'm not too sure if it would be worth all the hassle changing the pipes etc as they will all be susceptible to heat gains regardless. Also if you feel the heat in your plenum that little pipe wont make much of a difference to the air temps as the plenum goes very hot. Best thing to do is buy a thermal plenum spacer also

I have the HKS premium suction kit,expensive but replaces the standard induction pipe with slot for air flow meter sensor,uses the standard air box with HKS panel filter,plenty of induction noise and looks tidy,I believe the DO Luck panel filters give the best gains,on flee bay for about 35.00 pounds.

• 4 weeks later...

You will probably laugh because I cut my standard airbox in half....

25769510150266733046894.jpg

Cost me nothing, took me ten minutes, doesn't suffer heat soak and sounds like my car could suck up small children when i mash the throttle into the carpet.