Ekona gets a DA... *56K hell*

Ekona

I treated myself to a DA this week (a DAS-6 from cleanyourcar.co.uk) and have spent the day playing with it. I thought it might be fun to post up my incredibly amateur efforts here for us all to have a giggle at! :D

Right, here we go...

Started at 9am this morning with a keen heart and plenty of energy! Before any washing, the car looked like this:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

One clean later with two buckets, one lambs wool washmitt and some DJ Born To Be Mild shampoo and I ended up with this:

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

It certainly looks clean from a distance, and even standing next to it it's okay, but it wasn't long ago that I clayed and waxed it so I didn't expect it to look too bad.

Time to tape up the bonnet:

11.jpg

After a quick clay, this is how much crap I removed from one quarter of the bonnet:

13.jpg

Yeah, naff all, so the wax has clearly done it's job well in the past. In these next few pics, the lower LHS is the one I've worked on, and the lower RHS is the comparison side I don't touch.

After claying:

14.jpg

15.jpg

If you look towards the lower half of the section you can see the stone chips, loads of little white flecks. Ah, the brilliance that is a low front on a black car! Time to get serious...

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

The polishing pad, the DAS-6, and the bottle of Ultimate Compound. After one pass, I ended up with this:

19.jpg

Not bad, but still a few chips left, so I went for another pass and was a bit more aggressive with the machine:

20.jpg

Pretty happy with the result there, and I wasn't really going to get much more out with the compound and machine I've got. Next up is the Black Hole glaze, which is designed for dark cars and hides all the small scratches that need serious correction work.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Wow! Awesome stuff, it really made a huge difference, check out the next few pics, which also give a good idea of just how bad the stone chips are:

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Quite a difference, I think you'll agree. On to the really posh (and expensive!) wax:

28.jpg

29.jpg

Not a huge difference in the pictures, and I'll show you why a bit later. Pics with the tape removed:

30.jpg

31.jpg

With the tape removed I repeated the process on the rest of the bonnet:

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Some shots of the car after going over it with the Ultimate Compound:

35.jpg

36.jpg

Now after using the Black Hole glaze:

37.jpg

38.jpg

And after the wax:

40.jpg

39.jpg

These next set of pics were taken whilst I was doing a couple of other bits like the glass, tyres and the interior, and you can see the car take on a noticeable better shine as the wax takes to the paintwork more. This is why in the earlier photo the wax doesn't appear to make too much difference, as it really needs a couple of hours before you can see just how good it is:

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

And that's it! Total work time was 8 hours and I'm knackered, I still need to give it a coat of DJ Red Mist Tropical to really seal the wax in but the wax needs 24 hours to cure first, so I'll do that next week. Sadly the sun was against me today so you can't really see in the pics just how much difference the work has made to the paint, but it's almost swirl-free now and looks beautiful. A black car may take a lot of work to keep clean, but I honestly think it's worth it when it comes out like this. :)

Oh, and as a treat for hanging around and reading the whole thread, I also did this today:

seats.jpg

noseats.jpg

9.2kg saved, GT3 style ;)

Amazing pics

I too swear by Black hole Glaze, really makes a noticeable difference to a black car...

So the wax.......even though you buffed it off, the car gets shinier as it cures? I never knew that? Every days a school day!

Beautiful car too, I love 911's!

Apparently the site (either my hosting or here) throws a hissy fit with this many pics, a refresh usually sorts it :thumbs:

@D4XNY: Not all waxes seem to need such a long cure time, certainly the DJ Purple Haze I've got goes off a lot quicker than the Swissvax does.

Good work Dan B)

A lot of the more expensive waxes take a while to "sweat off" after being applied. I've noticed with Dodo SN that you have to go around an hour to two later and give it another buff to give a brilliant clear finish. I forget what the reason is for it, but its something to do with the natural carnauba wax.

Good job.

Did you use the DA for the Black Hole too? Or did you do that and the waxing by hand?

Jim

Yup, used the DA for the Black Hole too, gave a much deeper shine than the bits I had to do by hand. Waxing was all done by hand though using the Swissvax applicator pad and an AG polishing microfibre.

Good job.

Did you use the DA for the Black Hole too? Or did you do that and the waxing by hand?

Jim

Yup, used the DA for the Black Hole too, gave a much deeper shine than the bits I had to do by hand. Waxing was all done by hand though using the Swissvax applicator pad and an AG polishing microfibre.

I've been toying with the idea of a DA for some time now. So please excuse all the questions.

Did you tape up all the trim and did you use the DA and cutting polish on the plastic bumpers?

Oh, and you need to polish your exhaust tips too ;)

Jim

I haven't gotten round to doing the exhaust yet, that's next week too :p

I taped up the nose badge but tbh it was a huge faff and my tape isn't brilliant, which coupled with my lack of patience meant that I couldn't be arsed to tape anything else up! :lol: I was just careful with the DA and did the odds and sods by hand. I did get a fair bit of product on some of the black trim which will need some black gel to sort out, but for me that's quicker than using tape.

The DA is fine to use on plastic bumpers, and also (and I was a bit wary over this) on the paintshield by the rear wheel arches too apparently!

Paint cleaner comes before polish, but because I was using a cutting compound (albeit a relatively mild one) there was no need to use a paint cleaner :thumbs:

I've tried putting a proper sealant on after wax before (FK1000P) but I don't really like the finish it gives, hence why I just use a layer of DJ Red Mist nowadays. That said, that was back on the Zed so maybe the 911 might like it a bit more? I may give it a go on a small panel to see.

Just one more though. How noisy is the DA?

Surprisingly more than you would think. I would imagine the more expensive ones might be a touch quieter, but tbh it's not that bad. It's the kind of thing you'd wait until at least 9am on a Sunday to use though!

What an epic job :thumbs: I'm surprised you had time to take the pics, might look at getting one of these DA's, does it just"float" under it's own weight or is there a pressure applied?

You're supposed to just let the weight of the machine do the work which is easy when working downwards, but not so when working on the side! You soon get used to it, although I did have to keep stopping myself when I realised I was applying too much pressure at various points. That's the beauty of the DA though, as you can get away with making small errors like that.

Sausage fingers :p

:blush::lol: