Ekona gets a DA... *56K hell*

Ekona

DA's are glorified RO sanders, so arent designed to be quiet unfortunately. They are supprisingly loud and I would use some sort of ear protection if you are going to use one in a confined space (garage) for any length of time. As Dan says, you should not apply any weight to it (unless you know what you are doing), just let it glide. Theres some good articles on DW forums about how to do it properly, and putting a line on the pad so you can see it is spinning and not stalling. When working on doors etc, its very easy to stall the pad if you dont pay attention.

Bet you are feeling the pain today Dan, if not tomorrow ;)

What an epic job :thumbs: I'm surprised you had time to take the pics, might look at getting one of these DA's, does it just"float" under it's own weight or is there a pressure applied?

You're supposed to just let the weight of the machine do the work which is easy when working downwards, but not so when working on the side! You soon get used to it, although I did have to keep stopping myself when I realised I was applying too much pressure at various points. That's the beauty of the DA though, as you can get away with making small errors like that.

If you mark up the backing plate with one think black line you can monitor the speed of the pad easily. With a DA it's not always easy to see how fast it's spinning.

Show us your truck Dan! :blush:

They are supprisingly loud and I would use some sort of ear protection if you are going to use one in a confined space (garage) for any length of time.

I used my G220 over the weekend in the garage and find it supprisingly quiet, certainly not loud enough to warrant ear protection. But then again i am from the pre nanny state era and have been working on heavy industrial equipment for over 30 years, so probably my ears are used to big noise and are probably f@cked anyway!! Despite passing my hearing test last year! :lol:

Bet you are feeling the pain today Dan, if not tomorrow ;)

I'm aching like absolute buggery today, I'm just hoping my trip to the gym this evening will loosen me up! :scare:

If you mark up the backing plate with one think black line you can monitor the speed of the pad easily. With a DA it's not always easy to see how fast it's spinning

Show us your truck Dan! :blush:

Good idea, and soon once I've cleaned it ;)

Amazing pics

I too swear by Black hole Glaze, really makes a noticeable difference to a black car...

So the wax.......even though you buffed it off, the car gets shinier as it cures? I never knew that? Every days a school day!

Beautiful car too, I love 911's!

Would Black Hole Glaze be any good on an Azure Zed, if not what would you recommend as the front of my Zed looks like it has been machine gunned :blush:

Should be fine, certainly I'd have no issues using it on any kind of blue car. They also do a White Diamond glaze which is for light coloured cars, but I think that would only be if you had a white or yellow Zed.

Amazing pics

I too swear by Black hole Glaze, really makes a noticeable difference to a black car...

So the wax.......even though you buffed it off, the car gets shinier as it cures? I never knew that? Every days a school day!

Would Black Hole Glaze be any good on an Azure Zed, if not what would you recommend as the front of my Zed looks like it has been machine gunned :blush:

I used it on my mates solid blue Lean Cupra at the weekend........looked the mutleys nutleys. :thumbs:

Amazing pics

I've used Black hole on my Azure Zed for two years+ with no issues. Nearly always by machine too!

All I really wanted to do was to get rid of the swirls in the paint, so the fact that I ended up significantly reducing the visibility of the many stone chips on the car was a huge and unexpected bonus. :)

I'd stick with the darker one for Sunset, maybe the lighter one for Temper though. It really isn't going to make that much of a difference whichever one you get though, the oranges kinda sit in the middle.