New, about to buy a 350Z but...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure yet, my Astra is an N/A engine, so not much you can do with it and given its not really a sports car wasn't worth spending the money to make any changes - similar challenges I suspect with the 350?

Quite lucky in that both my Dad and brother are car mechanics who run their own businesses (lots of my family are mechanics, except me!) so can do all the labour for free ;)

blimmin 'eck - checked AutoTrader yesterday, saw a nice one in there appeared yesterday morning - rang up, got my Astra booked in to view today in Borehamwood, getting ready to go up there and bang, got an email apparently someone has put a deposit on it. After 1 day.

I cannot just cannot explain how frustrating this is - I am beginning to hate this Astra like its some sort of weight around my neck. :bang:

Most of us have been there mate - problem is when your excited about getting a new car the thought of waiting 2-3 months to find the right one for you is pretty depressing.

Bottom line - the right one will land at your feet. We missed out on some right shitboxes when we were desperate and ended up buying one blind (worked for us but I wouldn't recommend!) which was a bargain and a minter.

Are you looking further afield or just in your local area? Definitely worth spreading the net a bit.

Looking pretty far afield actually - got no problem buying say 150 miles away - in fact just love the thought of buying one and 'having' to drive it 150 miles home :teeth:

Got an email this morning for the Astra, within seconds though realised it was a scam mail - asking for my paypal ID, my email address, my phone number and home address...one second you're up then back down again.

I have seen a few private that I like but obviously my cash is tied up in the Astra, if I had sold that already I am sure I would have been cruising around in a lovely 350Z by now.. :D

Dealer currently trying to make some numbers add up for me right now, for a 04 plate GT in Silver with 47k miles on the clock FSH standard alloys though not Rays.

Views on Silver as a colour? I was hoping to get Grey, Blue or Black...

Dealer currently trying to make some numbers add up for me right now, for a 04 plate GT in Silver with 47k miles on the clock FSH standard alloys though not Rays.

Views on Silver as a colour? I was hoping to get Grey, Blue or Black...

Colour is always going to be personal, nobody but you can answer that one. There is constant battle on here about the best colour and everyone picks their own! :lol: Therefore Gun Metal is the best.

To be honest if you like blue or black, if you can get rid of the Astra you can't go far wrong with Ian's car. Plus the majority of the engine tinkering you mentioned has already been done and you would struggle to get anything more without going FI. If your budget is £9k and thats for standard it will cost you a lot to get gains on top of that through modding yourself. So to get a ready modded and tuned car for say £9.5k (thats an example, not the price of Ian's car as not sure what he wants) it would be more cost effective to spend the extra £500 as an initial outlay. If you speak to some of the people on here they will have spent £££££s (I would tell you my costs but I might cry if I add it up!! :scare: ).

Just my opinion and something I would look at if I did it all again. :thumbs:

I just think online Silver looks a bit naff, but up front for real could look different - do you think it looks better in reality?

Ian's car is amazing, but just too far modded for me, insurance would cost about the same as the car each year!

Dealer started off offering the 350Z to me for the Astra plus 3500 quid, got him to Astra plus 2500 very quickly...

...told him I will call him back. It doesn't have the Rays alloys and is Silver...I'm thinking no...as much as I want a 350Z badly.

I just think online Silver looks a bit naff, but up front for real could look different - do you think it looks better in reality?

Ian's car is amazing, but just too far modded for me, insurance would cost about the same as the car each year!

You would be surprised with the companies from here. Mods don't cost too much more and if you are planning on modding anyway its going to be the same. Your main mod for gains is going to be the UpRev which is £400 so if its already done thats £400 towards your insurance. :D

Maybe try getting some insurance quotes first and see what the damage is. You would be far better off with a members car as it will have usually been looked after properly and they will have used parts from traders on here.

Evans Halshaw Leicester had a nice black gt with 50k on an 04 plate. £8,995 not sure if they have still got it. Worth a call if it's black and dealer px facilities you want.

It was this dealer that burnt me in a previous post. Agreed to p/x the 350Z, agreed to bring the Astra up the following day - then hours before I depart for Borehamwood to get the Astra valued I call Leicester just to make sure its still there, they said someone from Devon has put a deposit on it and is coming up on Sunday...I was willing to buy pretty much straightaway, gutted.

I asked the guy to call me if the Devonshire fella doesn't want it. Will await anxiously by the phone Sunday although I'm not holding out much hope.

You would be surprised with the companies from here. Mods don't cost too much more and if you are planning on modding anyway its going to be the same. Your main mod for gains is going to be the UpRev which is £400 so if its already done thats £400 towards your insurance. :D

Maybe try getting some insurance quotes first and see what the damage is. You would be far better off with a members car as it will have usually been looked after properly and they will have used parts from traders on here.

Funny enough I have been driving for nearly 20 years, have only had 2 points on my licence in that time (parking on a zigzag when I was 17) no accidents and I have zero years claims bonus :blush: Been living abroad for the last few years, also had a company car for 9 months. Current car insured under the wifes name.

Would love to go for a forum members car I couldn't agree more that it would be better looked after, been offered some good deals, problem is I cannot shift this Astra thus don't have the cash. Via a dealer I can offload it and make up the rest in cash....

I can sympathise with you mate, I bought my 350Z around 6 weeks ago and it's been sitting in the garage since, as I have to shift my current car before I can transfer the insurance over. I start it up and give it a bit of a clean every Sunday, but that just makes me want to drive it even more! :bang:

To be honest, I've been very tempted to take it out of the garage and just take it for a blast up the dual carriageway just opposite my house, but I'd be absolutely bricking it what with no insurance so I'm not going to bother. I actually bought it around three months ago, but the seller started getting impatient so I had to collect it 6 weeks ago. I never imagined it would take so long to sell my RX-8; it's been advertised consistently since the end of October!

Seems to be the same problem as me, lots of 'em around. I thought the fact my Astra has the XP kit on it (only about 1 in 20 have it) would have helped sell it but clearly not.

But don't take the 350Z - there is something called sods law that exists out there and you know it'll be heading your way the second you leave the garage...

Hmmm got a dealer offering a 62k miles car with service history, black, gt, for the Astra plus 2750 quid...got the Astra up for 6750 now private but no joy.

Thoughts? In effect I would be taking 6250 for the Astra...they are asking 9000 for the 350Z, and it means driving 250 miles ... :headhurt: