Bad for English Football?

Beavis

Personally i think its a joke that you pay a huge subscription to Sky who claim to be the home of the premiership yet on a Saturday afternoon you can't watch a live on their network! :wacko:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -deal.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/A- ... 89697.html

On other networks in the UK at 3pm ;)

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

i cant stand football,

but to be honest something needs to be done to remove the obscene amounts of money in the sport. players wages should be capped and there should be a maximum transfer limit. the sport should be opened back up fro the people. tickets should be cheaper to attend it in person.

and you should be able to watch it on BBC 1 with out the need for SKY

I think it's a terrible idea. Sky have revolutionised football coverage and took all the risks, so it's only fair that they get the lions share of the coverage now. Now that pubs can go anywhere for their coverage, that's going to be a fair whack of money not going back into the English game, which cannot be a good thing. They've deliberately not put games on live on a Saturday to help clubs maximise their gate revenues, which is the right way to do it IMHO.

I'd rather pay for the quality of Sky than have some foreign bloke nattering away for less.

I know what you mean. I binned Sky altogether but they gave me any subscription I wanted for half price for 12 months and a £50 tesco voucher. They've also given me HD free for 6 months.

I'll probably do the same again and go back to freesat and wait for another offer.

Their prices are a disgrace.

What channels are they? Can watch pretty much all footy on the tinternet but quality isn't great.

Really? Fair enough, didn't know that. I still bet the presentation isn't a patch on what Sky give you though.

It irritated the snot out of me when the EU go involved in this and made the Premier League split their TV packages between Sky and Setanta, as all that actually meant for the end viewer was that they had to pay twice for something they used to get all in. How does that make the viewer any better off? It's still the same now with ESPN, and having had the misfortune to watch some of their dire coverage I now just stick with Sky and miss a few matches a season.

Really? Fair enough, didn't know that. I still bet the presentation isn't a patch on what Sky give you though.

Yes the Norwegians have channels TV2PL1,TV2PL2,TV2PL3 and normally the commentary is in English and it sounds familiar but not sure who they are :shrug:

I think it's a terrible idea. Sky have revolutionised football coverage and took all the risks, so it's only fair that they get the lions share of the coverage now. Now that pubs can go anywhere for their coverage, that's going to be a fair whack of money not going back into the English game, which cannot be a good thing. They've deliberately not put games on live on a Saturday to help clubs maximise their gate revenues, which is the right way to do it IMHO.

I'd rather pay for the quality of Sky than have some foreign bloke nattering away for less.

+1,000,000

I'm masively in favour of keeping the saturday 3pm kick off's sacred. We have 12:45 and17:15 kick off's on a saturday, what more do people want? Plus two games on a sunday too!

Plus, if people stop going to the games, who wants to watch a top game, in an empty stadium???

I also look forward to MOTD on a saturday night :)

+1 and the bit in bold +10000000.

Surely the numbers of people going to see games only because they can't watch it on the TV must be pretty small, or at least a very small fraction of all football TV viewers? Are these handfuls of viewers really making a difference to gate revenues? Don't the clubs make money from the punters either way? I don't suppose anyone has done any research on it.

Gate prices and travel costs are significant factors for Prem fans these days, I would have thought that would have a much larger effect on any falling gates. :shrug:

The argument about not televising football to protect attendances is complete crap. The bigger clubs that would be shown on TV can fill their grounds easily for the big games. I would gladly pay a subscription if it would guarantee I could watch all my teams games and I would still go and see them live when I could.

A lot of people who watch football on TV would hardly ever go and watch a game live and those that have season tickets wouldn't rip them up because football was on at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

I had albanian satellite and could watch the sky games, my local pub had the same. Shy sold the rights to them and then screamed when people started to use the albanian system in the UK.

If they hadnt sold them the rights they wouldnt have had the problem.

I can also watch any match on my PC anyway.

Isn't there a large waiting list for season tickets for the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea anyway?

Only Liverpool have a long waiting list, like 10 years :scare: . Only 3 other premier league clubs have waiting lists, Arsenal (quite long), Chelsea and Tottenham. Man Utd have recently made more season tickets available and Man City sell games in blocks. My daughter has been on the waiting list at Liverpool for 3 years, the stadiums just too small :shrug:

Pete

Isn't there a large waiting list for season tickets for the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea anyway?

Only Liverpool have a long waiting list, like 10 years :scare: . Only 3 other premier league clubs have waiting lists, Arsenal (quite long), Chelsea and Tottenham. Man Utd have recently made more season tickets available and Man City sell games in blocks. My daughter has been on the waiting list at Liverpool for 3 years, the stadiums just too small :shrug:

Pete

I've been on it 7 years............

Surely the numbers of people going to see games only because they can't watch it on the TV must be pretty small, or at least a very small fraction of all football TV viewers? Are these handfuls of viewers really making a difference to gate revenues? Don't the clubs make money from the punters either way? I don't suppose anyone has done any research on it.

Gate prices and travel costs are significant factors for Prem fans these days, I would have thought that would have a much larger effect on any falling gates. :shrug:

Massive +1. I go and watch United when i can (about 5 times a season), regardless of whether its on tv or not. But it annoys the hell out of me that i cant watch them on tv when they have a 3pm kick off. What absolute bollocks. My Dad lives in the states, and he gets to watch it on tv over there - its a joke.

It's no wonder people are taking this route,sky are taking the p**s.My subs for multiroom HD are about to hit £100 and I still can't get any game I want.

Also when you consider it costs £100 to go and see Arsenal live it's going to put more people off going to see the match.

It's no wonder people are taking this route,sky are taking the p**s.My subs for multiroom HD are about to hit £100 and I still can't get any game I want.

Also when you consider it costs £100 to go and see Arsenal live it's going to put more people off going to see the match.

I could say something about paying £100 to see Arsenal.... but I won't :shutup:

I'm not an Arsenal fan,just pointing out the cost of tickets these days. :surrender:

Arsenal :lol: Winning 4-0 at half time and end up drawing :wacko::lol:

For the record I did not find that amusing at all.... 4-0 up, player sent off and just held on, well done Newcastle great bit of business selling a one trick pony for £35M who nobody had heard of 6 months ago :lol:

i cant stand football,

but to be honest something needs to be done to remove the obscene amounts of money in the sport. players wages should be capped and there should be a maximum transfer limit. the sport should be opened back up fro the people. tickets should be cheaper to attend it in person.

and you should be able to watch it on BBC 1 with out the need for SKY

I agree, not like it's even a proper sport anymore, just a joke of a sport that's more about money than the game.