how to handle this...

Zugara

I work for a tinpot company that pays quite well,but its a family run company and the md is a "i an never wrong" person.

Now, if you felt that you were being bullied in the work place,as I do,what would be the best action to take?

I am actually feeling like walking but need a job.

The md is totally commuted to work,and really couldn't give a stuff about his engineers.family.forget them, you work for me kind of attitude.

One comment made a few days ago was, dont forget I own your house as I pay your salary and therefore your mortgage. :scare:

Feel really bad for you mate, it's horrible when this happens. It's a really tricky situation when it's the boss doing the bullying too. You do have rights to counter this issue but the trouble is is more than likely to make things awkward and untenable for the future.

One thing I would definitely do is document every instance of the bullying and the comments so if it comes to it you have evidence to back up your statements.

I would say if your boss was reasonable raise the issue directly with him in a relaxed manner that isn't likely to damage your professional relationship but from what you have said he sounds like a €$¥# so isnt likely to take any notice.

This kind of thing makes you really hate walking into the job each day and in this climate it's not easy to walk away and get another job. Do any of the other employees feel the same?

A friend of mine is in the legal profession, I will ask him for some advice later today.

Sorry ot hear this has happenend but chin up.

+1

Unfortunately I have worked for a similar a**e in the past, although, not quite as bad as this one it would seem. The danger with this kind of megalomaniac is that ultimately they don't care about anyone else at all to such a degree that he would probably even be prepared to take/fight the legal consequences if it came down to a wrongful dismissal situation. Wait and see what Will comes back with and go from there :wacko: Hope you can get it sorted mate :thumbs:

Feel really bad for you mate, it's horrible when this happens. It's a really tricky situation when it's the boss doing the bullying too. You do have rights to counter this issue but the trouble is is more than likely to make things awkward and untenable for the future.

One thing I would definitely do is document every instance of the bullying and the comments so if it comes to it you have evidence to back up your statements.

I would say if your boss was reasonable raise the issue directly with him in a relaxed manner that isn't likely to damage your professional relationship but from what you have said he sounds like a €$¥# so isnt likely to take any notice.

This kind of thing makes you really hate walking into the job each day and in this climate it's not easy to walk away and get another job. Do any of the other employees feel the same?

A friend of mine is in the legal profession, I will ask him for some advice later today.

Sorry ot hear this has happenend but chin up.

I really feel for you here, not a easy situation at all. This is blatant bullying and should not be tollerated, and causes un-necessary stress. We are all stressed enough without berks like this.

Fact is if this clown acted like that in a big company, they would be out on their ear. Simple.

MDs of small companies think these rules don't apply to them. Collate evidence and go to a tribunal is my advice. Of course proper legal advice is definately the way to go.

Bradders

Start looking for a new job now. Don't delay. One will eventually come up and the longer you leave it, the longer it will be before you can quit.

Jim

+1 - I'd document all the occasions of bullying etc but its really likely to be more stress and pain for you than it's worth. Give him the "yes sir, no sir" to keep your life as easy as possible but make your moves to get out now.

Bad bosses get bad staff and their companies never go anywhere. Plus if hes such a douche it's likely his friends and wife see that too. With any luck he'll die mateless while his Mrs is riding the **** of the postman. :thumbs::wacko:

So sorry to hear this, i agree with what everyone has said about keeping a note of every thing said by your MD, does he seak to the other staff in that way??

sound's like an utter w****r.

have a look on link below, it might help with what steps to take if you do end up going down the line of seeking legal advice.

Let us know how you get on, we could always swing by on mass and say hi to the guy! :blackeye:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10026670

If you can find another job which gives similar or better benefits then take it and walk!

If not, keep a diary and you may have a constructive dismissal case, but if you go down this route it will be very stressful for you and probably your family. You'd need to speak to an employment lawyer for some rational advice.

Personally I think life is to short and not worth the stress and worry.

If it's a small company then he probably doesn't realise how much he relies on the goodwill of his staff and it would serve the pr!ck right if you left him without skilled staff to fulfill his contracts. The bank may then end up owning his house with a bit of luck.

Hope things get sorted for you.

Definition of bullying

there is an act. Called the respect and dignity at work act.

Failure to give your staff respect and dignity at work act constitutes as bullying.

So,as an example his behaviour.

No staff member is allowed to park on the road outside the office cos he doesn't want to upset the neighbours. Fine. 12people are employed all with cars plus 5 large vans in carpark. Room in carpark for 10 vehicles. One guy parks roadside as no room in carpark,he gets summoned to the office of the md and Mary hello breaks out.md is kicking filling cabinets,swearing and screaming at this guy for about ten minutes. When the guy says to the md, can i explain why i have parked on the road,md says no,you can't give me a reasonable explanation, meeting over,now move your fing car off the fing c---ing road.Now!Something we should have to put up with in the work place?erm no.

But that's how it goes on.

I was in a similar position for over 2 years in a job mate. Best thing I ever done was just walk away. I'm now happy as Larry in my new job and work for a proper organisation with established equality and diversity policy's and a professional attitude towards bullying and morale in the work force.

These type of egomaniacs are not worth having discussions with, taking to tribunals or the effort of getting stressed over. If you are actually a hard worker then he does not deserve you as an employee, so leave peacefully and retain a professional attitude and work for an organisation that respect their employees.

Remember you may rely on him as a reference in the future, so leave on good terms when possible.

Hey sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Man your boss sounds like a complete idiot, really wouldn't put up with that but I know it's not as easy as just walking out.

Spoke to my legal friend this evening and he said you basically have 3 options

1. Put up with the current situation and continue working there and hope things get better.

2. Document every incident, look for another Job and when you get one, and you will mate, go to your boss and demand a good reference. If he is unwilling to do that state you will threaten him with harassment at an employment tribunal. If you leave due to harassment it's considered the same as constructive dismissal. Payout up to 50k btw. 

3. Keep a detailed log, continue working and wait til you are dismissed in which case follow 2. Above.

It's tricky because even though you are just defending your rights by taking options 2 or 3 and going for constructive dismissal you can be seen as a trouble maker and word of mouth spreads. Sucks I know.

Personally I would go for thee route of actively seeking another job and if you can see he's going to cause problems then threaten him with the harassment issue.

Really hope this resolves itself for you.

Hope this helps

Regards

Will

Find another job.........write your resignation letter..........lay a cable on his desk..........leave letter on top of the brown trout.

Alternatively adopt (with some subtle amendments) the approach used by Lester Burnham in American Beauty........

Lester Burnham: Then I guess I'll have to throw in a sexual harassment charge.

Brad Dupree: Against who?

Lester Burnham: Against YOU. Can you prove that you didn't offer to save my job if I let you blow me?

Brad Dupree: Man, you are one twisted ****.

Lester Burnham: Nope; I'm just an ordinary guy who has nothing left to lose.

Sounds like a total douche and I would make it my life's mission to leave and covertly cause him utter chaos.

You sure the business isn't going down the shitter? He sounds like someone right on the edge. I do sympathise with you, the relationship between me and the next in line has been strained recently and I haven't particularly appreciated the comments recently. Thankfully the MD is a professional guy and has been a lot nicer to deal with, although I can't say my situation is as dire as yours.

Cheers will. I am currently getting my cv out,just hope something good comes out of it.

Ricey, i am able to damage his reputation quite badly, but would i stoop to his level? I have always been told too be the better man.

However i will be leaving without any notice period,after pay day naturally,and he will be getting a reasonably lengthy letter.

Its nice that you guys have given me this much support over this and it really is appreciated.

Thankyou all so much.

Definition of bullying

there is an act. Called the respect and dignity at work act.

Failure to give your staff respect and dignity at work act constitutes as bullying.

So,as an example his behaviour.

No staff member is allowed to park on the road outside the office cos he doesn't want to upset the neighbours. Fine. 12people are employed all with cars plus 5 large vans in carpark. Room in carpark for 10 vehicles. One guy parks roadside as no room in carpark,he gets summoned to the office of the md and Mary hello breaks out.md is kicking filling cabinets,swearing and screaming at this guy for about ten minutes. When the guy says to the md, can i explain why i have parked on the road,md says no,you can't give me a reasonable explanation, meeting over,now move your fing car off the fing c---ing road.Now!Something we should have to put up with in the work place?erm no.

But that's how it goes on.

There's a Respect And Dignity At Work Act? Seriously? Bloody hell, what's the world coming to?! :wacko:

Anyways, that example isn't bullying, that's the boss being a ****. Agreed I wouldn't particularly like to be on the end of it, and I might even kick off back (and have done in the past when someone's spoken to me like that), but it's hardly bullying. The way I see it you've got three choices: You can either go up as a team (and I mean all 12 of you) and tell him you're not happy with his attitude, or you can accept that the bloke is a bit of a pain and be grateful you've got a job but keep an eye on other opportunities, or you can quit now and find something else.

However i will be leaving without any notice period,after pay day naturally,and he will be getting a reasonably lengthy letter.

Umm, so how does you breaching your contract put you in a better position? Work your notice but barely work IYSWIM, that's what everyone else does. :thumbs: