Top 10 quickest diesels... for under £15k?

marzman

Hi all...

What are the top 10 fastest/most fun to drive diesels on sale in the UK?

My ideal car would be a BMW 635d, but these are close to £30k... :surrender: My budget is basically as cheap as possible, but upto £15k

Basically, I want a zed that does 50mpg, but this doesnt exist... so i need a close alternative. :dry:

Discuss...!

oooooh i like the look of this thread.

apparently for engines alone the BMW dervs are menat to be very good on mpg and performance,

the 320, 330, and 335 are supposed to be good guessing the same for the 5 series as well.

i'm looking at the alfa brera 2.4 diesels

similiar spec etc to the 159 2.4 if you need a saloon.

i love the audi a5 v6 diesel, but its out fo my budget at about 15k up. great looks 4wd and a big diesel lump.

think its the same engine in all the 35d models as in 335d, 535d, 635d, 735d, but a remapped 335d m sport coupe is by fare the best option imo, nearly the same torque as an m3 & not fare off the bhp but still getting over 35mpg around town & upto 50 on the motorway. i was going to buy one before i bought my zed but the zed came up at the right price! 8k cheaper! still think its gonna be my next car.

think its the same engine in all the 35d models as in 335d, 535d, 635d, 735d, but a remapped 335d m sport coupe is by fare the best option imo, nearly the same torque as an m3 & not fare off the bhp but still getting over 35mpg around town & upto 50 on the motorway. i was going to buy one before i bought my zed but the zed came up at the right price! 8k cheaper! still think its gonna be my next car.

See - this is the other problem... i dont really want to spend £15k on a diesel when i can buy a zed for £9k instead...leaving me £6k to spend on fuel.. :ninja:

See - this is the other problem... i dont really want to spend £15k on a diesel when i can buy a zed for £9k instead...leaving me £6k to spend on fuel.. :ninja:

You could spend 15k on a fast diesel yet still miss the drive and noise of a zed. Get a nice 10k zed. 2k for a Prins LPG conversion with valve care. Sorted. :thumbs:

I looked at the Alfa's last year.

From what I read (and this was backed up by short test drives) the fuel economy is not great - low to mid 30's.

They may look good but i just didn't think they were anywhere near quick enough for the fuel economy. I decided I would much rather just spend a bit extra and keep the zed.

335d is a great engine although expensive compared to the 335i. You need to cover a lot of miles before you get the extra up front cost back but it will probably hold it value better long term.

The 325d and the 330d are the same engine with a different map a believe. If funds are tight you could get a nice 325d and get is re mapped? :shrug:

Chris

I looked at the Alfa's last year.

From what I read (and this was backed up by short test drives) the fuel economy is not great - low to mid 30's.

They may look good but i just didn't think they were anywhere near quick enough for the fuel economy. I decided I would much rather just spend a bit extra and keep the zed.

am aware of the 2.4 fuel economy, but also have that sorted. ;) i know what causes the difference and how to fix it :teeth:

FR Leon ?

Torque eats front tyres on them though.

Stop being so heavy footed then :p

They are also ripe for re-mapping for some blistering performance, you could probably pick up an old shape one (far prettier) for around 4-5k on a 05/55 plate, just make sure the timing belt has been changed :thumbs:

Skoda Fabia VRS

Volvo V50 / S40 D5

Mercedes 320 CDI's

All can be remapped..... But by the time you've tuned a turbo'd oil burner to such an extent that it's petrol quick, the efficiency gain is pretty much gone!

FR Leon ?

Torque eats front tyres on them though.

Stop being so heavy footed then :p

They are also ripe for re-mapping for some blistering performance, you could probably pick up an old shape one (far prettier) for around 4-5k on a 05/55 plate, just make sure the timing belt has been changed :thumbs:

My FR TDI is mapped to just under 210 bhp and just over 300 lbs/ft torque and not a single puff of black smoke out of the back B)

However it may be getting a new exhaust this year and the DPF deleted... then I should have 250 bhp and 350 lbls/ft :drive1 there will then be some black soot though :lol:

I had a FR+ 55 reg, one of the last PD150's with the factory fit Cupra R bodykit and 17" version of the Cupra R wheels. It was quick for a diesel and had the looks of the Cupra R.

Would have one again if I was doing motorway miles in a shot, nice car.

You won't get a FR+ for 4-5k though so depends if you want the facelift Cupra R bodykit or not.

first thing i do when i get the alfa will be the dpf delete a remap and the emc turned off should see 260 bhp and over 500 nm or torque and still get over 50 mpg on a long drive. and average 41 mpg

In a FWD car :surrender:

I average just over 40 in the FR and from what I have read that will maybe rise slightly with the DPF delete

first thing i do when i get the alfa will be the dpf delete a remap and the emc turned off should see 260 bhp and over 500 nm or torque and still get over 50 mpg on a long drive. and average 41 mpg

I average just over 40 in the FR and from what I have read that will maybe rise slightly with the DPF delete

its the DPF that kills the alfa mpg when it reburns to clean the filter, people on average only see about 33 mpg at standard. but with the remap dpf delete and emc switch off it should see the OEM original mpg figures.

and as its a 5 cyclinder it apparently sounds pretty good for a diesel,

to be honest the biggest selling point for me is the interior, and exterior looks. it may not be as quick as the s2k but its an environment i'd be happy to spend hours in

its the DPF that kills the alfa mpg when it reburns to clean the filter, people on average only see about 33 mpg at standard. but with the remap dpf delete and emc switch off it should see the OEM original mpg figures.

and as its a 5 cyclinder it apparently sounds pretty good for a diesel,

to be honest the biggest selling point for me is the interior, and exterior looks. it may not be as quick as the s2k but its an environment i'd be happy to spend hours in

Sounds good to me :thumbs:

The DPF is very restrictive on the PD170 engine too...

It is quite loud and not very refined but boy does it pull :clap:

Is the DPF delete expensive for the Alfa, I can get it done on the Leon for £800 including a nice shiny Milltek exhaust :thumbs: