Top 10 quickest diesels... for under £15k?

marzman

What, not a Buddy Club Dave!!? ;)

first thing i do when i get the alfa will be the dpf delete a remap and the emc turned off should see 260 bhp and over 500 nm or torque and still get over 50 mpg on a long drive. and average 41 mpg

In a FWD car :surrender:

I average just over 40 in the FR and from what I have read that will maybe rise slightly with the DPF delete

its the DPF that kills the alfa mpg when it reburns to clean the filter, people on average only see about 33 mpg at standard. but with the remap dpf delete and emc switch off it should see the OEM original mpg figures.

and as its a 5 cyclinder it apparently sounds pretty good for a diesel,

to be honest the biggest selling point for me is the interior, and exterior looks. it may not be as quick as the s2k but its an environment i'd be happy to spend hours in

Sounds good to me :thumbs:

The DPF is very restrictive on the PD170 engine too...

It is quite loud and not very refined but boy does it pull :clap:

Is the DPF delete expensive for the Alfa, I can get it done on the Leon for £800 including a nice shiny Milltek exhaust :thumbs:

Is the DPF delete expensive for the Alfa, I can get it done on the Leon for £800 including a nice shiny Milltek exhaust :thumbs:

i think its about 600 quid for the delete remap and emc turn off, but the exhaust part is only like a decat part. not a full exhaust sytem.

i think its about 600 quid for the delete remap and emc turn off, but the exhaust part is only like a decat part. not a full exhaust sytem.

I think a deal that includes an exhaust is prefferable to get the best out of the remap

You won't get a FR+ for 4-5k though so depends if you want the facelift Cupra R bodykit or not.

+1 they are holding prices very well. When the missus wanted a new car, we test drove the new shape and it was great, and I had an old shape FR (1.8T) so knew they were good inside and out. But looking at prices, for one only a few years old it was north of £10k. In the end we got a little Ibiza 1.4 which returns ok fuel consuption and obviously no where near the power, but it was a lot cheaper for a brand new car with warranty etc. I'm seriously considering a TDi Leon in the future for a "shed".

+1 on the Zed plus cheap sootchucker idea.

As suggested already, the older PD 150 is an awesome unit, if unrefined. Ridiculous torque at stupidly low revs. They chip really well and even the 130bhp one should suffice with a remap.

Be wary of earlier PD's though, which had camshaft problems.

A mate is looking at buying a cheap diseasel at the mo and I looked at Golf GT TDi 150's for him - the prices seem to have increased in the last year or so if that's possible. We sold a 2004 one a couple of years ago and eventually sold it for £4.5K - they still seem to make that now :scare:

You won't get a FR+ for 4-5k though so depends if you want the facelift Cupra R bodykit or not.

+1 they are holding prices very well. When the missus wanted a new car, we test drove the new shape and it was great, and I had an old shape FR (1.8T) so knew they were good inside and out. But looking at prices, for one only a few years old it was north of £10k. In the end we got a little Ibiza 1.4 which returns ok fuel consuption and obviously no where near the power, but it was a lot cheaper for a brand new car with warranty etc. I'm seriously considering a TDi Leon in the future for a "shed".

Good news then for my Mrs FR, won't be sold anytime soon only 40k on an 05 plate, great wee car, a bloke at work is selling an 05 plate yellow with the Cupra kit for £5.5k, so that's where I based my guesstimate :)

Mrs had a new Ibiza 1.4 as a courtesy car on a recent service and I swear I thought she was going to buy one, she loved it :D The 150PS FR from 05 had the later Golf TDi engine a year earlier, apparantly, ok the aesthetics on the inside of the Leon may not be of the same quality as the Golf, but essentially they're the same car.

The 150PS FR from 05 had the later Golf TDi engine a year earlier, apparantly, ok the aesthetics on the inside of the Leon may not be of the same quality as the Golf, but essentially they're the same car.

True enough, the Seat interior's probably slightly lower in quality but I should imagine its a bit more interesting to drive?

The Golf was awesome as an everyday car though, ESP off and it just hauled out of corners. It was quick, eco, and reliable. Just like the zed ;)

If they hold their value that well it's win win win. Until you turn the stereo off that is......

Do your calculations carefully!

I only do 7k per year but looked at swapping the Z for an e46 330cd.

MPG figures I sourced from owners forums, not official figures.

Total saving inc tax, insurance and fuel was £400 for the 330cd. Over 15k it would be £750.

The Z is worth it :)

Total saving inc tax, insurance and fuel was £400 for the 330cd. Over 15k it would be £750.

what about when petrol hits 1.50 a litre? i did my maths including tax and insurance etc and i'm about 1,250 a year better off going diesel. would be more if i still owned the Zed. works out to about 100 quid a month better off.

I was trying my best to get the figures to look appealing for a zed, but at the current fuel prices and with my mileage, it was gonna be £140 extra in fuel alone each month... £35 a week for a zed? Not too bad when you put it like that, but it is a waste of money really!

I was trying my best to get the figures to look appealing for a zed, but at the current fuel prices and with my mileage, it was gonna be £140 extra in fuel alone each month... £35 a week for a zed? Not too bad when you put it like that, but it is a waste of money really!

So is smoking, drinking, meals out etc etc etc

Sex is free!!! :scare:

yep and i'm looking at cutting those back as well :dry:

Fortunately I neither smoke or drink, and sex is free so I can still afford the meals out :yahoo:

There's no such thing as a free munch....I mean lunch ;)

Seriously though, petrol's will be dead one day, enjoy them while you can unless you're on the breadline. Life's too short :):)

yep and i'm looking at cutting those back as well :dry:

Fortunately I neither smoke or drink, and sex is free so I can still afford the meals out :yahoo:

Sex is free!!! :scare:

That's what the meals out are exchanged for! :lol::lol: