A family now needs at least 3 cars to be efficient

ATTAK Z

im trying to save for a deposit to buy my first place at the moment and with fuel and everything going up in price its getting near on impossible. which is why im looking intp part ex my zed for a diesel astra at the weekend. im far from happy about it but its the sensible thing to do and i know in a few years i can have another one.

If its a struggle and the zed is your disposable toy, then I am with you all the way. A roof is far more important than a machine, which are easier to replace than your home.

if I wasn't trying to save up then I could afford a much nicer car than the zed (GTR) but I'm trying to bank atleast 1500 a month for my deposit which leaves me with enough plus a couple of hundred to pay my bills but with the way fuel and everything is going up that's cuts down on the amount I can live on. i found myself trying to drive the zed less and when I was I was worried about fuel economy so I thought what's the point in having it if I'm not going to use it as it should be. I might aswell change it for something more sensible and cheaper then in a few years when I'm settled in my house and feel I have enough money to warrant another car then I'll look into what I can get.

I'm going to sulk and strop when she goes but it's for the best really. :byebye:

With the calculations saying you need to do 15,000 or 20,000 miles per year to break even you're assuming that all your driving is done in the shed and not in the zed. I thought about a shed before winter but realised that for me it just doesn't make any sense. I think what biscuit said: "if i did have a shed, i'd never drive it, couldn't see the point if the nice car was parked there i'd always take the nice car" sums it up quite nicely.

In a few years I'm going to be trying to get on the property ladder and so I'll have to sell the zed to help with the deposit but I'm planning on replacing it with someone that's still interesting, just a lot cheaper.

Ok, I have the Zed as my daily driver :teeth: , Mrs DoogyRev has a 4.0ltr (petrol) Jeep Cherokee as her daily driver :teeth:

If we were to suddenly join the green party we would sell both and get g-whizz's, but that aint gonna happen :nono:

So, we consider buying two sheds....... so we spend £500 each on a shed, that £1000 before insurance and running costs. we would also need a bigger house with enough space to park 6 vehicles (Mrs DoogyRev has two son's, one has a car the other wont be far off) I am not going to get rind of the Zed, and the Mrs does not want to sell the Jeep

I am gonna stick with the Zed, I love driving it, if I have to drive 200+ miles to a job I am going to have fun on the way :thumbs:

Feck fuel prices, drive something YOU want to drive........ and I want to drive my Zed :#1:

+1,000,000

I could not agree more :thumbs:

I really don't understand the whole shed thing?

If you can't afford to run the Zed then get a cheaper nice car to run, why spend most of your time behind the wheel of a shite car :surrender:

I use my car for work and fill the tank approximately once every week ............... so that's £85.00 for my decent car or £35.00 for the little car ..... a difference of £50 per week or £2500.00 per year ................. My shed is worth £1500.00 at the most if I sell it, so it's paid for itself in the first year and has cost me a lot less than £1000.00 in road tax insurance etc. .......... plus fewer miles clocked up on the decent car ............. and driving the little car round town is fun and when I get to use the decent car I appreciate it more ... so it works for me at the moment :thumbs:

As you may know I have a different job since end of last year so I'm still not sure what mileage I'll be doing but it's all short journeys whilst at work, 5 miles here 10 miles there etc.

I guess I'll do about 900 miles a month getting to and from work and running the car around at work. That'll be about three fill ups per month if I use just one car and don't go anywhere at weekends

My car before my zed was a 1.9cdti sri Astra, I bought it as my job then was an 80 mile round trip. I had it remapped to around 200bhp. It was a nice car, fast, torquey and giving me 61 mpg on my trip to work. But as soon as I got a job nearer to home it was history :yahoo:

Then came the zed, nuff said :teeth:

My car before my zed was a 1.9cdti sri Astra, I bought it as my job then was an 80 mile round trip. I had it remapped to around 200bhp. It was a nice car, fast, torquey and giving me 61 mpg on my trip to work. But as soon as I got a job nearer to home it was history :yahoo:

thats what im looking at getting, how did you find it?

ive been thinking bout selling up lately, what with the price of fuel! and also for me now need a second car for mrs Greeny and i cant get my fishing gear in the zed.

but at the mo i do lots! of miles my zed is my daily driver and im spending around £400! a month of fuel this is outrageous!! but i love the fun of rwd as ive been getting into drifting. so thought about two cars that a nice mine being a diesel, then id get a £1000 180sx for a track drift car,

im also paying for a wedding at the mo, and saving a little bit for a house, but abroad never buying in this country again as its rapidly going down the s*!*!r and unless you can either completely buy or almost buy a house out right it will not be yours any way with the rates etc..especially first timers.

so for us abroad is the way forward. cheaper living and less than a pound per liter for fuel :thumbs:

so i would buy another zed then.

but im still thinking so we'l see lol

Listen to this

Lagos Nigeria early 1980s:

Traffic congestion is a major problem so the government decides that it needs to take at least half the cars off the road ............ not a problem for Nigeria .... just make it illegal to drive a car with an odd numberplate on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday ........... and make it illegal to drive a car with an even numberplate on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday ........ Sundays ? - anything goes

Congestion problem solved or so you'd think but .............

Nigerians are resourceful people so ....... the less clever ones buy another car with an even numberplate to use when their odd number-plated car can't be used....... but the really clever ones .... and that's 90% ...........

just buy another numberplate ........

Traffic congestion is the same but vehicle numbers and sales of number-plates increase, lining the pockets of the car dealers and plate makers who, coincidentally, are the government officials who made the laws in the first place :lol:

True story IIRC

thats what im looking at getting, how did you find it?

How did I find it as in what I thought of it ?, or how did I source it ?

I found it a nice drive, as I said the remap made all the difference, very fast, gave my boss a scare one morning, when he passed me in porsche 911, I was right up his ass for a good 1/4 mile. Engine was noisy and threw a bit of black smoke out, but very economical. The stereo was pants even worse than the Bose. I bought it 09 reg with 5k on clock for £10300 at a local car supermarket and traded it in a year later with 17k on clock against an 08 zed and got £10300 ! free mototring for a year :teeth: