Limescale & Rust on Car

Rubber

Just came back from 2 weeks offshore YAY!!!

Bad news is that I left the car in the company car park and it appears to have had rust and water dripping down on top of it for 2 weeks. It's a concrete car park so it is limscale that is on the car.

I was quite upset but my company told me in no uncertain terms that it is left at my own liability. In addition we're not supposed to leave our cars there overnight. Anyway I don't want to turn this post into a what I should do to my company but more - What is the best way to fix it?

I went out with some Meguiars shampoo and hot water and gave it a scrub with a lambs wool mitt. It is coming off but very slowly. The rust appears to be coming off as well.

Just want to comfirm this is the correct way forward or should I use a clay bar? I don't want to push it around the paint and scour it - I scoured the paint on my Celica when scrubbing off seagull poo.

I polished the car about 4 weeks ago so the car should have some protection underneath. I'm going to go at it tomorrow, any advice appreciated. I did find this on the net but I'm not sure...

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/auto/exterior-and-glass/how-to-remove-lime-scale-from-a-car/

Cheers

Chris

SDC17328.jpg

SDC17329.jpg

SDC17330.jpg

SDC17331.jpg

I dunno, paint cleanser may not be enough, but I hope it is :thumbs:

True, but if that doesn't shift it then you'd need professional help.

If you have the products to hand that someone (Tim) recommends then have a go..... if not then I would get a professional to sort it.... could be cheaper in the long run :shrug:

Ok Tim seems to be the man! I'll give him a shout.

There are a couple of pro's around the Aberdeen area so worst case is that I cause some surface scratches and then get the whole car done over properly by a pro.

Will have a better look in the morning and will have a go with the clay bar I think...

Cheers for the advice,

Chris

As I said, I had a go tonight in the dark just to see if I could budge it. It does seem to come off ok but difficult to see if it is leaving any lasting scuffs in the paint.

Looks like there is moisture in the car but I think the stuff is all over the back windscreen as well :( That'll come off easiely though. I have PM'd Tim so I'll see what he thinks is best.

Eager to have a go tomorrow though. Its eating away at me knowing it is like that outside!!!!

Chris

As I said, I had a go tonight in the dark just to see if I could budge it. It does seem to come off ok but difficult to see if it is leaving any lasting scuffs in the paint.

Looks like there is moisture in the car but I think the stuff is all over the back windscreen as well :( That'll come off easiely though. I have PM'd Tim so I'll see what he thinks is best.

Eager to have a go tomorrow though. Its eating away at me knowing it is like that outside!!!!

Chris

Please wait for Tim to contact you....... you could cause more damage doing it DIY :shrug: ... JMO :thumbs:

A guy on Pistonheads reccommends simply white vinegar that he used on his Elise. Think I'll try some diluted vinegar tomorrow...

Rubbing lemons!!!

http://www.scirocconet.co.uk/forum/limescale-damage-paintwork-learn-from-mistakes-t4318.html

Things could be worse!!!

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?165656-Limescale-removal-from-car-paintwork...

I also ended up naviagting to this link :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGooQ8yYC0c

Ouch, thats not the best now is it?!

Thanks to Martin (for the text!) and Chris for the PM's.

My 1st suggestion would be to try vinegar, not sure if white or malt is better but just try vinegar. it normally works very well for limescale and try it diluted 1st. Spray it on with a trigger bottle, allow to penetrate then rinse off. Try to avoid scrubbing and best course is to try and soak it off, hopefully the rust marks will go too.

Once the worst is off follow it up with a thorough wash, then clay, cleanse and seal after.

I guess its a lesson learnt, but hopefully recoverable and park elsewhere :headhurt:

Best of luck and keep us posted please.

Best wishes

Tim

Top man Tim - cheers!!!

Will give the vinegar a couple of minutes to soak and then try rubbing off - more pictures to follow tomorrow.

If I do end up damaging the paintwork I'll just get a pro to sort it out - might as well get the whole car done while I'm at it ;)

I'll keep you updated, thanks for all your help guys.

Chris