Just noticed the end of Max Power on the newsstand

AK350Z

Well it obviously couldn't run on forever, as even we had noticed, corners were being severely cut for competitions (see Amy's Zed etc) and you are obviously going to be going nowhere quick if you can only muster a couple of hundred subscribers out of a population of 60+ million!

It's had its time, and the combination of the cost of motoring and the continuing fall of print media have done it in. RIP Max. Like that chavvy relative you never really liked, you'll still miss them a bit! :lol:

You know what I honestly think has happened?

The arse has fallen that far out of the car market that 'kids' (17-25 year olds) can now afford to buy proper sports cars that dont require as much messing about with to look half decent. Just take the Zed - we have some very young members on here.

So the days of buying your first shitbox and toddling off to Ripspeed or the local Motor Factor to pick up a few stick on bits have passed.

The arse has fallen that far out of the car market that 'kids' (17-25 year olds) can now afford to buy proper sports cars that dont require as much messing about with to look half decent. Just take the Zed - we have some very young members on here.

So the days of buying your first shitbox and toddling off to Ripspeed or the local Motor Factor to pick up a few stick on bits have passed.

I am a young member, and definately a young person to be driving a 200bhp+ car, but I think its a mix of factors why you see younger people driving niceer cars.

1.) Your getting older :p

2.) Young people are realising that rather then spend 3k on a crap wagon then 5k over two years doing stuff to it to get an extra 10bhp, they have realised they can get finance dead easy and hence buy a 10k and pay for it over 3 years.

3.) Finance Finance Finance, bubble loans, personal loans etc.. are all dead simple to get. I bought my car out right, but when i was looking at cars i realised i could easly get a 30k new car, with a bubble load scheme pay for it over 5 years, keep it at the end if i wanted if so take a loan out on the rest, if not get rid of it and hopefully make a few bob, thats without having to put any extra money in or having any sort of finacial backup (not having to put it against a house, etc..)

4.) The scrapage scheme has got rid of lots and lots of crap cars that students etc.. would normally buy...some friends of mine were looking to do the ramshackle rally, and litrally struggled to find a crap wagon that was in budget...

5.) Imports are so easy to get hold of and so cheap, you can now get import 350zs for around 4-6k admitably they might be dogs but still your getting alot of car for the same price as a new punto...

Just my 50cents (agreeing with you/ giving some other factors)

I am a young member, and definately a young person to be driving a 200bhp+ car, but I think its a mix of factors why you see younger people driving niceer cars.

1.) Your getting older :p

2.) Young people are realising that rather then spend 3k on a crap wagon then 5k over two years doing stuff to it to get an extra 10bhp, they have realised they can get finance dead easy and hence buy a 10k and pay for it over 3 years.

3.) Finance Finance Finance, bubble loans, personal loans etc.. are all dead simple to get. I bought my car out right, but when i was looking at cars i realised i could easly get a 30k new car, with a bubble load scheme pay for it over 5 years, keep it at the end if i wanted if so take a loan out on the rest, if not get rid of it and hopefully make a few bob, thats without having to put any extra money in or having any sort of finacial backup (not having to put it against a house, etc..)

4.) The scrapage scheme has got rid of lots and lots of crap cars that students etc.. would normally buy...some friends of mine were looking to do the ramshackle rally, and litrally struggled to find a crap wagon that was in budget...

5.) Imports are so easy to get hold of and so cheap, you can now get import 350zs for around 4-6k admitably they might be dogs but still your getting alot of car for the same price as a new punto...

Just my 50cents (agreeing with you/ giving some other factors)

I agree for sure bud - Rich is right though some of them are still out there somewhere lurking....getting their Nova ready to drive themselves up to the Jeremy Kyle Show :lol:

In the last 10 years since I first started work people earn more, buy more and care less about credit......especially younger generations because they've become economically aware in a period where the government, financial institutions and the media all say that its 'fine' to be up to your nips in credit (hence my 2 car loans :lol: )

i'm trying to work the other way and reducing my credit as i go, nothing out of hand, but i'm getting bored of lining others pockets.

had a 6 year plan now 3 years in and on target, with my next car change and credit move i should be completetly debt free in 3 years.

i'm trying to work the other way and reducing my credit as i go, nothing out of hand, but i'm getting bored of lining others pockets.

had a 6 year plan now 3 years in and on target, with my next car change and credit move i should be completetly debt free in 3 years.

I had that attitude but after spending 3 years dealing with people who literally do not give an encrusted turd about how much credit they have and dont get punished one iota for not paying it or being over indebtted made me think 'whats the frigging point'.

Not really the best attitude but whats the point....knowing my luck I'd be really careful and squirrel away a few pounds for 5 years then be made redundant - the WORST thing you can have when made redundant is money believe me.........if you have money the world expect you to support yourself with the money you've worked really hard to save up.

Jizz all the money up the wall so your potless and the government and financial institutions come bounding to your aid! :lol:

must admit i do agree with you, but i'm looking at being debt free, not saving anything though :lol: just maximising what i have of my paycheck each month. so i can say what the hell i'll buy that new stereo etc etc.

with the possibilities of little biscuits at some point in the future i want to make sure i have the sapre capital to be able to do it properly etc :lol:

with the possibilities of little biscuits at some point in the future i want to make sure i have the sapre capital to be able to do it properly etc :lol:

Now that..........is the bit that scares me.

Little Riceys running round with their screwdrivers cocking up all the DIY that I haven't already cocked up......thats an expense of small African Republic debt proportions.

DAMN!! - you've reminded me of something that I do actually need to save for!

I enjoyed Max Power when I was at School.

I used to buy it from 1st year (11 or 12) till I was about 17 or 18.

It was a good source of boobs and cool cars when I was young. Then it got bad and I haven't bought it for 9 or 10 years. I have no idea if it improved in this time or not.

They did a massive re-design about 3 years ago and it grew up a lot: No boobs, no chav, loads of tech how-to articles, it was brilliant. Clearly that didnt work for their readership base as they ditched it a few months later, at which point so did I.

Ive seen 17yr old`s driving Zeds, god knows how they manage to run it.. :surrender:

easy there still living with mum and dad

I still lived with my mum and dad..........I had a 1.4 ibiza which I couldn't even afford to chav up properly - stick on exhaust pipes and seat covers all round!!

I was too poor to even be a chav!!!!!!!!!!

I'll miss Max Power in a weird nostalgic way!

It reminds me of my 1st car an old red mkII fiesta xr2i back when I was 17! (long, long ago!)

Spending a sunday sanding the blue out of the back of the ford badge to paint it red! Lol!

Memories!

The mark 2 was just xr2, the injected engine came in the mark 3. :blush:

I had a nostalgic flash back tonight. There was a breeze blue Nova SRi cruising about near my work. My first car was a breeze blue flair - the same as an SRi (once I changed the front seats) except below the rub strip was blue on mine and the sri had grey.

Ace!