First Time withan DSLR

bhavin85

god you have a big house!

That's what I thought, must be an ambassador or something :lol:

Pete

:lol::lol: Shame they built a load of skyscrapers in the back garden....... but it does make for a good photographic contrast, especially with a Zed in the foreground

good topic selection,

must admit i'm in too minds if i get a DSLR or a really good point a shoot digital with a big zoom on it.

Although I have a decent Nikon DSLR, I am going to get a good compact that is easier to carry around than a bag full of lenses, I think I would take more photos with a pocket sized camera

At the moment the Nikon Coolpix S4000 is favourite B)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Digital%20Compact%20Cameras/products/Nikon/Coolpix%20S4000%20Premium%20Bundle%20-%20Black-79259/Show.html

good topic selection,

must admit i'm in too minds if i get a DSLR or a really good point a shoot digital with a big zoom on it.

Although I have a decent Nikon DSLR, I am going to get a good compact that is easier to carry around than a bag full of lenses, I think I would take more photos with a pocket sized camera

At the moment the Nikon Coolpix S4000 is favourite B)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Digital%20Compact%20Cameras/products/Nikon/Coolpix%20S4000%20Premium%20Bundle%20-%20Black-79259/Show.html

Got my GF a Canon IXUS 130 for X-Mas, it has 14 Megapixel compared to the Nikons 12....

And it has a load of functions on it, and auto mode is quite capable, apart from nightshots, best switch to manual mode and select night snap shot mode and perhaps tinker with the exp settings

Got my GF a Canon IXUS 130 for X-Mas, it has 14 Megapixel compared to the Nikons 12....

And it has a load of functions on it, and auto mode is quite capable, apart from nightshots, best switch to manual mode and select night snap shot mode and perhaps tinker with the exp settings

Personally I don't think that a difference in 2 Megapixel makes any difference other than to take up more room on your memory card. And having just read this I think its confirmed :thumbs:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

yep, anything over 6 you would not know the difference unless you was blowing the picture up to the size of bill board adverts. I have been using a Nikon DX40x for a few years now and when you get to know how to use a camera and not use the auto features some stunning pictures can be taken. I'm about to sell it and buy a Nikon DX90 http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm not too expensive but a camera is only as good as it's lens!

i got my DSLR for xmas and im in love :cloud9: i'm a real shutter bug and i had got to the limits of compact cameras having used every function, mode or whatever they had. the DSLR is a real breath of fresh air to take what i want to the way i want to :)

• 4 months later...

For what it's worth I'll throw in that to take good shots of cars / anything in low light / at night you really want to use a tripod and take a long exposure shot. You won't do it justice with a point and shoot, DSLR all the way for me, got a Canon 500D 6 months ago and haven't looked back since!

Cambridge in colour is an awesome site too, has taught me a lot (still a lifetime's worth more to learn though...)

Large format plate film cameras I still love but what would we all do without a digital camera now? Tell anyone just a few years ago that you could have a mobile phone with camera, video and sat nav all built in and they would have looked at you as if you had just come out of the asylum.

Have not bought a DSLR but I am starting to think about it..............................still love film though :thumbs:

guys, if you have had a decent dslr then going to a point and squirt will drive you bonkers. Comparitivly, the reaction time is crap. The quality dubious - do not fall for anything quoting digital zoom !!

The control a dslr gives you simply outguns any pointer I've seen. After quitting the pro snapper business I sold all my gear EOS1D etc and bought a point and shoot for about £400. Wifey pointed out I didnt take any photos any more after about 7/8 months.

One visit to London Camera Exchange and chucking £1k on the table got me bqack in the creative / photo saddle again.

Just my experience of course......

As for above photos:

Good start ! Watch out for lines being veretical or horizontal. When they arnt it skews an image no matter how good the composition.

Focusing. Look at what point your view finder is using to focus. You should be able to choose from one to many. Many points creates an average focal point of the image, leading to some / none in focus. Choose a point you want to focus on, it will sharpen your images immediately. For night shots, use a tripod or wedge the camera on something and set a large f stop : f16 ish for the shots of your house. This will create a long exposure - 30 secs ! - but will allow more to be in focus/ sharper.

As for choice of image to start with, cant fault it :teeth:

Have fun ! Play with the knobs :thumbs: Show us more :teeth:

• 2 months later...

I am still using my Canon 350d...have had it for something like 8 years now and its still going strong. The 8mp on it is more than enough, any sales guy trying to get you to upgrade from 12 to 14 mp is just talking utter nonsense.