Parking tickets on Public Holidays

thebesh

I'm down visiting a friend for New Year in Edinburgh just now and I went out this morning to walk my dog. I walked past my car which is in a pay and display area and saw that the city council have put on a parking ticket today. Now in Scotland the 3rd and 4th are public holidays and even the Edinburgh city council website states this - - http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/788/co ... dinburgh/3

However after doing a bit of research it looks like the city councils in Scotland have decided to generate some revenue and cash in on unsuspecting motorists and take them to the cleaners with parking charges - - http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles ... n56540909/

There is no way I'm going to pay the fine as the parking meter does not display any information about charges on these days and only by researching this would you find out this information. The joke is that the tickets are issued by 3rd party companies (who I imagine are commission based) and I very much doubt the official council buildings are open today or tomorrow (again if they don't work how can they justify the operation of the parking attendants).

I also found a news article from Jan 2009 and this is part of the extract

On January 2, a total of 1615 parking tickets were issued compared to just 416 on January 3. With each penalty notice costing £30, the council made £48,450 in one da

When I finished Uni I worked for the council for a year and hated it. So much waste of tax payers money - I left as I couldn't stand the attitude of "jobs for the boys" and the fact that nobody is ever held accountable for big screw ups. This has totally reinforced my hatred towards councils.

Unlucky mate, councils are a bit crafty sometimes..... obviously at our expense. I hope you contest and get result :thumbs:

+1 on councils wasting money, I knew someone who worked for the council and they said £1m was spent on a study to determine "what's the best biscuit to have in meetings". Maybe the government should spend a bit more time weeding out the jobsworths to same money...... but they are just a bad :shrug:

Aberdeen city cooncil elected to stop a free coutesy bus to the crematorium (which isn't serviced well by public transport at all!) so they could get free butteries at their meetings.

Outrageous!

The pensioners that want to pay their last respects to their friends now have to pay for taxis. But it's ok, the council are enjoying their aitkins rolls. B**tards.

I'd contest it, I'm sure you'll end up paying but it's worth looking at www.pepipoo.com for advice.

Cheers for the link Stew - - I've posted and asked for their advice.

I also worked for Aberdeen Leisure during the summer when I was a student. They were sub contracted by the council to run the swimming pools, ice rink, bowling greens, tennis courts and putting facilites round Aberdeen. I intially started off collecting the money from these sites and taking it to the banks - it was an 8 hour shift, but took about 90mins to do the job (and there were 3 of us doing the same job). In the final year of doing this I manned several bowling greens - bear in mind on public holidays I often made double/triple time (sometimes making 14 quid an hour) meanwhile you would be lucky if the days taking for the bowling green and facilites reached 5 pounds for the day.

Pretty much ALL the management for Aberdeen Leisure were idiots in my opinion who wouldn't last more than a month in a private profit making organisation. Here is an article about the glorious leader at the time Tom McNeil (who I have personally seen spasticated drunk during working hours)

If this story is true then its bang out of order - but I would assume its the usual sensationalist reporting trying to link two totally unrelated instances. I think if you put in a freedom of info request in you'd probably find that its something like Butteries were perhaps provided for elected members who were entertaining foreign dignitaries or companies and that the bus to the cemetary was costing circa £40k a year to run including a driver. (that's a conservative estimate based on previous experience!)

I highly doubt that butteries were being ordered for staff meetings Stew :shrug: no council in its right mind even allows staff to have tea and coffee in meetings never mind order food! This is because every penny must be accounted for - and the media just loves a bun fight!

D'you know we even have to consider carefully what we're going to do for team building activities incase they're seen as too decadent! Its like a fickin witchunt :wacko:

Frontline staff are knocking their pans in and constantly being told to do more with less and all the while working for frozen salaries that private sector employees would laugh at.

Just want to make sure that people who don't work in the public sector understand that there is a vast difference between the actions of 'Elected Members' and frontline staff who are simply trying to do their jobs with constantly dwindling resources :)

Aberdeen city cooncil elected to stop a free coutesy bus to the crematorium (which isn't serviced well by public transport at all!) so they could get free butteries at their meetings.

Outrageous!

The pensioners that want to pay their last respects to their friends now have to pay for taxis. But it's ok, the council are enjoying their aitkins rolls. B**tards.

I'd contest it, I'm sure you'll end up paying but it's worth looking at http://www.pepipoo.com for advice.

:lol: dinnae be daft - no fight!

I just get a bit sick of the media tarring frontline staff with the same brush as Elected members who have usually just walked off the farm and think they know how to deliver public services :thumbs:

The real criminals are Central Govt thinking one formula spending will fit at local level :bang:

Anyway back to parking tickets - as far as the OP is concerned I think I'd fight that ticket too :thumbs:

Don't worry Vik, I know there is a vast difference between Frontline staff and backroom staff let alone elected members. I wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush so if I ever make derogatory comments about the council you know it's the muppets I'm referring to not the frontline staff. The same with any public sector organisation.

I'm sure it was media hype and I tried to find the report but the city council cut the bus the same day as they approved tea, coffee and butteries being supplied at meetings. I'm sure it wasn't a swap and I'm sure it the values were not even close. As you can imagine it upset a lot of people though.

I'm glad I don't pay directly into the city council coffers as they seem like a bunch of 'tards. The shire council (cooncil) which I pay into seem to manage things better. Just another excuse to laugh at the toonsers.

I too am stuck workin for the Gov. SNBTS to be exact its a good job but we get it from behind too!

Pay freeze, dwinding staff numbers and high level management livin the high life while we all struggle along! P***es me off!

As for the parkin ticket... Why am I not surprised its in Edinburgh! Scotlands beeng the UK's trial grounds for years!

F***ing Government!

A pay rise is a privilege and not a right. I'm not saying people don't deserve them but people speak about getting a pay rise like it's certain. Unless it's written into your contract you can't expect it, especially not when the government, local authorites and many private companies are struggling.

I'm sure that opinion won't be popular though.....

it does have a massive knockon effect though.

When things get more expensive, we need more wages to afford. If we can afford to buy stuff then the manufacturers and companies struggle to sell products/services, if they struggle to earn profit then they struggle to pay us more money.... this big circle continues on and on. If they dont start paying more then more companies will go bust which has a massive hit on every business around.

A pay rise is a privilege and not a right. I'm not saying people don't deserve them but people speak about getting a pay rise like it's certain. Unless it's written into your contract you can't expect it, especially not when the government, local authorites and many private companies are struggling.

I'm sure that opinion won't be popular though.....

+1 on that Stew....... I have just had a pay rise..... first in 4 years :yahoo: If I went on strike for a few days because I did not get one, my boss would just show me the door :lol:

I really hope the country doesn't go back to a strike culture with all the public services holding us to ransom for money we just haven't got.

An example was the tube drivers wanting quadruple time and a LD for working Boxing Day, so basically a weeks wages... same with my drivers moaning that they have to work Bank Holidays etc, they work in Food Retail what do they expect?

pay freezes in teaching plus an increase in hours and responsibilities; means more work for less money. but no teacher i know is talking strikes; in fact we understand and therefore don't complain. i'm now doing the role of a colleage that left; but i don't get the TLR point that goes with it (teaching and learning responsibility) i've been told the role has been removed. yet i still do the extra work that it entails.

govenrment says education won't be affected; yet magically we're having to cut back to cover a defeceit of over 100k and thats just this year; there are other schools in a far worse situation.

lots of schools are looking at become academies; has nothing to do with education; but the fact that schools can get more money; and be in control of how they spend it more. moving away from LEA control and a more independent nature.

at the end of the day; i have a job; it keep sthe roof over my head; now is a time to be sensible; tighten belts and live with in ones means.

better a job than no job at all

pay freezes in teaching plus an increase in hours and responsibilities; means more work for less money. but no teacher i know is talking strikes; in fact we understand and therefore don't complain. i'm now doing the role of a colleage that left; but i don't get the TLR point that goes with it (teaching and learning responsibility) i've been told the role has been removed. yet i still do the extra work that it entails.

govenrment says education won't be affected; yet magically we're having to cut back to cover a defeceit of over 100k and thats just this year; there are other schools in a far worse situation.

lots of schools are looking at become academies; has nothing to do with education; but the fact that schools can get more money; and be in control of how they spend it more. moving away from LEA control and a more independent nature.

at the end of the day; i have a job; it keep sthe roof over my head; now is a time to be sensible; tighten belts and live with in ones means.

Great attitude Rich! :thumbs:

Having worked in Local Government until 2002, I was pleased to get out having seen what is supposed to be a public service largely ruined by the belief that bringing in management that had business background would mean greater efficiences.

In the '90's senior management salaries started going through the roof on the basis they had to be paid those sums to get the 'expertise' attracted. But most had little, if any actual related public sector experience but were very good at the 'talking the talk'. Their briefs were simple - make as much money from the 'services' Council's were under a duty to supply and ditch anything that cost money. A huge salary gulf emerged between those at the coal face and those excutives sitting in plushly appointed offices, receiving salaries close to, or which even better the Prime Minister. Totally demoralising for those staff committed to public service beliefs and working their butts off for relative peanuts, although unfortunately it has to be said there are the nine-to-fivers and do the minimum in Council's who once they have their foot in the door are virtually impossible to get rid with HR and the PC brigade laying down so many do's and don'ts surrounding employment. But there again I suspect all large employers inevitably 'carry' a proportion of nine-to-fivers and do the minimum.

My eldest son is LG and is tearing his hair out over just such a situation - but in his case the target set for his clown of a boss who has no idea about the service they talked themself into, is totally impossible to achieve and amounts to little more than that's persons £175k salary!

Guess what I am trying to say, having read some of the anti council comments on this thread, is please don't generalize about public service in the sense that all who work there are bad. There are a lot sticking it out (I don't know how) that remain dedicated to the concept of public service and will often work far more hours than they get paid.

Not sure what the current percentage is, but when I was in LG, Council Tax accounted for about a quarter of Council spend (excluding the police and others), with the vast majority coming each year from Central Government allocation through other taxation. So when you next get a visit from a politican seeking your vote ask when they are going to start running your local Council to benefit the local community and not as a retreat for overpaid excutives who are responsible for introducing measures that otensibly are money-making/saving ideas for the Council but in reality are often no more than covering their own existence at the community's expense! :angry:

Great attitude Rich! :thumbs:

Quite right too :thumbs: In current climate it'd be immoral to do anything else - I've been doing the job of a grade above me for the last 12 months for no more dosh in the hope that the project pulls through the cuts (looking very doubtful). But then people like Rich and myself didn't choose our professions for the money :shrug: - knew I should've stuck to Economics :doh::lol:

But when I'm talking pay rises - I'm only talking inflation related -not an actual increment - its not a 'bonus' and it is written into my contract.

I've been sat at the top of my scale for the last two years which means if I don't get the 1% or whatever (which BTW is applied to public sector salary scales two years after its measured so is irrelevant in real terms) I'm still earning the same even though cost of living has gone up 7%. As Rich says its just a sign of the times and we just have to get on with it and be thankful to have a job. :shrug:

I know that come April it is very likely the zed is gonna have to go :blink:

i've down sized and changed circunmstances to make sure i'm as buoyant as possible in this climate. even teachers jobs aren't safe; nothing to say in 18 months time they have to start down sizing departsments to make ends meet. our department has already had its budget cut almost in half. for materials and tools etc. :shrug: its not too bad as i can still work with it; not quiet come to the time of doing everythnig with lollypop sticks and cardboard boxes; yet.

i've down sized and changed circunmstances to make sure i'm as buoyant as possible in this climate. even teachers jobs aren't safe; nothing to say in 18 months time they have to start down sizing departsments to make ends meet. our department has already had its budget cut almost in half. for materials and tools etc. :shrug: its not too bad as i can still work with it; not quiet come to the time of doing everythnig with lollypop sticks and cardboard boxes; yet.

:lol: start watching Blue Peter again! ;)