Team Falken UK 650hp V35 Skyline (G35)

Polo

As Stew says - awesome build - and as it is way beyond my full understanding I'm guilty of being one of the silent majority (see the number of views of your thread), but if it is encouragement you want - THEN YES PLEASE, KEEP THE BUILD PROGRESS COMING :lol:

A couple of questions.

Did/do you feel the need to strengthen the crash bar as to my eyes and without, it seems that the central section might be quite weak and if there was a corner impact the original depth side 'wings' may too easily bend back and damage other components?

With the amount of heat being dissapating from the rads, what are you doing to get rid of that from the engine bay? I am aware that cooling was one of ZMANALEX's bugbears (which he has probably resolved), or does the different engine mean you do not see that as an issue?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving this read! Btw the way with that exhaust you may have issues on the track with noise. We measured 110db on idle with that exhaust on a standard engine lol. It's very vey loud :D

Yes, im guessing its going to be loud :D my s14 mesured 110 at idle also and 134db at 3.5krpm. But for that i had two exhaust systems, so if i was going to a track where i know they have noise problems i stuck the other system on with 4 silencers. The other had none :D just two bolts and slid it off the hangers, i plan to do the same with this, aswell a a removable cat as im going to keep it road legal. Still has MOT till july :lol:

This being turbo thogh will automaticly be quieter than the same exhaust on a vq35, as the turbo quietens exhaust noise :)

Loving this read! Btw the way with that exhaust you may have issues on the track with noise. We measured 110db on idle with that exhaust on a standard engine lol. It's very vey loud :D

Yes, im guessing its going to be loud :D my s14 mesured 110 at idle also and 134db at 3.5krpm. But for that i had two exhaust systems, so if i was going to a track where i know they have noise problems i stuck the other system on with 4 silencers. The other had none :D just two bolts and slid it off the hangers, i plan to do the same with this, aswell a a removable cat as im going to keep it road legal. Still has MOT till july :lol:

This being turbo thogh will automaticly be quieter than the same exhaust on a vq35, as the turbo quietens exhaust noise :)

Thats intersting i thought the turbo would make it louder lol. Mines is road legal, i still have no cats though lol. A few boys had the japspeed k1 with decats and they said it was ridiculous. I used to go by a row of cars and set probably 2 out of 5 car alarms off if i was giving it welly lol. I ended up selling it as it was too loud for me turning up late at my house lol I did love the sound of it though, it was a great exhaust note

Damn this forum needs a multi quote button! lol

As Stew says - awesome build - and as it is way beyond my full understanding I'm guilty of being one of the silent majority (see the number of views of your thread), but if it is encouragement you want - THEN YES PLEASE, KEEP THE BUILD PROGRESS COMING :lol:

A couple of questions.

Did/do you feel the need to strengthen the crash bar as to my eyes and without, it seems that the central section might be quite weak and if there was a corner impact the original depth side 'wings' may too easily bend back and damage other components?

With the amount of heat being dissapating from the rads, what are you doing to get rid of that from the engine bay? I am aware that cooling was one of ZMANALEX's bugbears (which he has probably resolved), or does the different engine mean you do not see that as an issue?

Yes the crash bar is not finished, it will be getting welded up to put some strength back in. I have debated to run with or with out it. Most cars iv built before and most cars on the track have them removed for a number of reasons, mainly weight and they get in the way, also if removed and you have an impact on one side and the chassis leg is bent the crash bar pushs the other leg accross too, so you have two legs to make streight rather than one.

I feel with this chassis its quite important to keep it there for the chassis/handling. Not to mention to protect that peice of crap plastic front end and coolers as there so close, as i WILL be knocking and bumping into thing regularly :lol:

The vq35 is quite a hard engine to keep cool, the 2jz is not so bad! Not that heat is not going to be a problem with this! I will be doing demos in Germany and Portugal throgh the summer so of course there is more to it than just the coolers.

the bonnet is bearly going to exsist, its being chopped up to vent the hot air out and cold air in. of course doing demos in hot wether, your not going fast so that alone willl not be enough. So i am fitting a water spray system, using 6 screen wash jets to spray the oil cooler and rad, with a 10ltr drum. This will be wired to a two way switch, one so i can hold it on for as long as i like, the other fitted with a timed flashing relay, so it will spray for say a second then off for 2seconds etc etc.

The HKS ecu is able to conroll the fans to come in at what ever temp i like, il also have a bypass switch so i can turn them on constant.

The ecu will also be programed to run richer than it needs to be to aid cooling, along with putting more in once the coolant temp reachs a chosen temp, probs 90degs. Once it reachs 100degs the ignition will also be retarded.

Also, the turbo housing and manifold are going to be ceramic coated.

Fingers crossed that will be enough :thumbs:

Damn this forum needs a multi quote button! lol

A couple of questions.

Yes the crash bar is not finished, it will be getting welded up to put some strength back in. I have debated to run with or with out it. Most cars iv built before and most cars on the track have them removed for a number of reasons, mainly weight and they get in the way, also if removed and you have an impact on one side and the chassis leg is bent the crash bar pushs the other leg accross too, so you have two legs to make streight rather than one.

I feel with this chassis its quite important to keep it there for the chassis/handling. Not to mention to protect that peice of crap plastic front end and coolers as there so close, as i WILL be knocking and bumping into thing regularly :lol:

The vq35 is quite a hard engine to keep cool, the 2jz is not so bad! Not that heat is not going to be a problem with this! I will be doing demos in Germany and Portugal throgh the summer so of course there is more to it than just the coolers.

the bonnet is bearly going to exsist, its being chopped up to vent the hot air out and cold air in. of course doing demos in hot wether, your not going fast so that alone willl not be enough. So i am fitting a water spray system, using 6 screen wash jets to spray the oil cooler and rad, with a 10ltr drum. This will be wired to a two way switch, one so i can hold it on for as long as i like, the other fitted with a timed flashing relay, so it will spray for say a second then off for 2seconds etc etc.

The HKS ecu is able to conroll the fans to come in at what ever temp i like, il also have a bypass switch so i can turn them on constant.

The ecu will also be programed to run richer than it needs to be to aid cooling, along with putting more in once the coolant temp reachs a chosen temp, probs 90degs. Once it reachs 100degs the ignition will also be retarded.

Also, the turbo housing and manifold are going to be ceramic coated.

Fingers crossed that will be enough :thumbs:

Thats intersting i thought the turbo would make it louder lol. Mines is road legal, i still have no cats though lol. A few boys had the japspeed k1 with decats and they said it was ridiculous. I used to go by a row of cars and set probably 2 out of 5 car alarms off if i was giving it welly lol. I ended up selling it as it was too loud for me turning up late at my house lol I did love the sound of it though, it was a great exhaust note

doesn't need a multi quote!

Hit quote on the post you want to quote. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see posts. There is a quote button in the right hand corner. Hit that and it adds the quote to the post.

Very interesting and amazing at the same time. Given the problems I had just stripping down a standard Mini and putting it back together again (so it actually worked) and doing some very minor modifications on a 309Gti, this type of project is the equivalent of rocket science to me. I shall keep looking in future and thanks for taking the trouble to update it. I am as impressed as a person who has been run over by a steam roller.

Neil

Pic time!!!

Had the guy next door make this for me on his CNC lave, its so i can ditch the standard oil cooler and oil filter housing and run two sandwich plates. One for the oil cooler and one for sensors. Also with just the oil cooler one i couldnt get the -12 pipe to clear the block.

If any one wants one made, for two sandwich plates or one i can get them done!

035-10.jpg

037-14.jpg

043-6.jpg

Spent some time cleaning all the suspension bits il be using! Drill and a wire mop, some scotch bright and a bit of sand paper.

047-9.jpg

049-6.jpg

052-6.jpg

066-5.jpg

074-4.jpg

Before

063-4.jpg

After a dip and electro plating

070-4.jpg

Bit of cleaning and painting the steel bits

073-3.jpg

Also, im very please to announce a new sponsor, SuperPro have kindly supplied me with all the bushs i could possably need!

071-4.jpg

072-3.jpg

ta da

097-3.jpg

So before i could fit it all up i had to sort the fuel tank breather

102-2.jpg

Plenty of copper grease on every nut and bolt

103-1.jpg

110-1.jpg

113.jpg

104.jpg

117-2.jpg

Nice shiny Japspeed arms

118-1.jpg

120-1.jpg

124.jpg

126.jpg

133.jpg

136.jpg

138.jpg

Test fitting a 12j et20 18", at 1st glance i thoght it wouldnt work but with a bit of a flare and a stretch it will look mighty fine!!!

That is as low as the coilovers will go so a bit of playing there to be done, this has got to be ubber low to pull 18" rims off! Even with poke out!

146-1.jpg

147.jpg

152.jpg

153-1.jpg

Super thread indeed B)

And thanks for the very full answers to my questions, although I'll admit to not understanding everything you said, :blush::surrender:

But you certainly do seem to have thought the project through very thoroughly and then to take the time to update this thread is a real credit to you :thumbs:

Cheers guys :D

Hopefully over the next 7 days il make some decent progress as my girlfriend is going home for a while! So I can do some proper late nights! Curently only working on it from 6pm till 9/10pm, I can now crack on till the early hours B)

Using the Toyota engine as they will do 600/700hp on a stock engine, costing pence compared to the same power on a vq, also with out the heat issuses with the vq.

Not to mention they sound fricking awesome!!

YouTube search friends racing 1000ps aristo!

Pic time again :D

Starting to get really excited now!! Even thogh im short quite a few bits to finish it, its starting to shap up nicely!!

If any one wants to sponsor me a twin plate clutch, some brakes, front camber arms or cash, please PM me! lol :wack:

Some more bushenating

054-6.jpg

Big thanks to my mate Mike for giving a hand cleaning and painting various parts

058-5.jpg

Glad to announce yet another sponsor for the year, Hel performance hoses have kitted the car out with some brake lines!

BTW these and any products from Hel, SuperPro, Pipercross, Japspeed and Driftworks can now be purchased at S-Body Automotive (my company)

060-2.jpg

069-4.jpg

072-4.jpg

Slight modifications to the HSD's to allow the car to be lowerd more, 23mm to be exact!

068-4.jpg

Diff cleaned, painted, welded locked, and fitted, along with the exhaust, prop shaft, bracing and front suspension.

077-4.jpg

082-5.jpg

085-4.jpg

086-2.jpg

089-3.jpg

093-4.jpg

100-3.jpg

109.jpg

106-1.jpg

113-1.jpg

116-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Time for pics people!! Id update every night with little bits if i had time!

Made up turbo oil and water lines with mini oil filter for the turbo

032-6.jpg

037-15.jpg

Finished all the brake and clutch lines. When i say finished, i mean made up not final fitted.

041-10.jpg

045-8.jpg

047-10.jpg

Forgot i never showed a pic of the oil sandwich plate thing i had made fitted

053-4.jpg

Hydro, courtousy of DriftWorks, with a custom braket

079-5.jpg

094-3.jpg

095-2.jpg

Cam covers drilled and ready to have the -10 breather fittings welded in

090-3.jpg

091-5.jpg

Now, how to make a mandril bend tighter with out comprimising flow! Can make 3x 90 deg bends from 1x 180deg bend!

101-3.jpg

105-2.jpg

106-2.jpg

114.jpg

What is it for????

This!!

117-3.jpg

122-1.jpg

124-1.jpg

130-1.jpg

129-1.jpg

Got the fuel rail back from a mate whos doing the tig and CNC work.

Had the cheapo top feed injector conversion rings machined so i can use and O ring to seal them!

135.jpg

136-1.jpg

Custom made fuel rail

141.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

Starting to get tight for space under there!!

147-1.jpg

Planning bonnet vents!

149.jpg

154.jpg

Got the custom made bits back from another mate with another CNC machine! These extend the s14 rear toe arms so i can fit them in place of the stock spring pan arm.

Im going to get them plated in silver pasivate, same as the nuts and bolts just silver.

156.jpg

159-1.jpg

165-2.jpg

And finished the lines, i ran out of hose for the last meter!!

171-1.jpg

175.jpg

Amazing attention to detail Polo, down to the last nut :#1:

BTW I like the way you modded the rear coilover. you should be able to drop it further with the height adjuster if needed right ;) .

PS: , I'm taking off the Ichiba A-camber arms tomoz finally and should stop by at your end on friday am after a meeting in leicester but if i am running late you may have to come and pick it up on saturday in worcester as i'm working this weekend again :bang: The only other time i can make the trip will be the 26th but i will hate to halt your progress :p

i will call you anyway to let you know how things pan out :thumbs:

Amazing attention to detail Polo, down to the last nut :#1:

BTW I like the way you modded the rear coilover. you should be able to drop it further with the height adjuster if needed right ;) .

PS: , I'm taking off the Ichiba A-camber arms tomoz finally and should stop by at your end on friday am after a meeting in leicester but if i am running late you may have to come and pick it up on saturday in worcester as i'm working this weekend again :bang: The only other time i can make the trip will be the 26th but i will hate to halt your progress :p

i will call you anyway to let you know how things pan out :thumbs:

Cool, i hadnt herd from you i thogh you no longer wanted to sell them. Please sort it asap :D

Wow, I can't believe I've only just read through this thread!

You don't mess about do you. ;)

Great build. :thumbs: Being an ex Supra owner I know what you mean about the noise.....and with a big single at WOT they sound like they're gonna suck in the whole plannet! :cloud9: