More power!!

ben p

I'm putting some serious thought into either selling or supercharging my zed, she just doesn't seem powerful enough. I've taken the car about as far as it can go bolt on wise with the help of mark from Abbey, but if I'm being completely honest the extra power just wasn't worth the £2000 spent. Top of the list for a trade in would be a E92 M3 coupe, (can't afford a 911 turbo just yet) but i'm in 2 minds as what to do! I think I could live with spending 5k for a supercharger but mentions of 7k+ just seem a step to far for me.

Came across this link while googling, I'm sure some of you have come across it before. It states near the bottom the supercharger fitted along with the bonnet is £4800! Seems very reasonable I know the article is quite old but I can't imagine the price would differ to much.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... _350z.html

need help!

I know that bonnet does look awful! I didn't know you where stripping your car Ian? had a change of heart? The car just feels lacking, I've always had a thing for tuning I even tuned my 50cc hair drier when I was 16! I'm just power hungry always have been always will be.

I know that bonnet does look awful! I didn't know you where stripping your car Ian? had a change of heart? The car just feels lacking, I've always had a thing for tuning I even tuned my 50cc hair drier when I was 16! I'm just power hungry always have been always will be.

I dont want to strip it but its the only way ill get a R34 :(

Looking for 4k for mine. Complete setup, ready to bolt on & tune :D

Would you spend some monies on a built engine or keep the standard internals? If standard internals then either vortech or hks s/c... there is a APS TT kit for 4800£ around the corner somewhere too :p

Just rember the hidden cost when calculating going FI... :D

The Stillen kit that you linked will just the basic one without intercooler etc... The general consensus is that that will give you around 350bhp. To get more out of it (if this wasn't enough) would cost you more pennies, in which case the HKS or Vortech kit would be a good choice for around 400bhp.

If it were me, I would buy one of the second hand kits for sale on here as they will be ready to go ( minus the tune) and will save you alot of £. If after you realise its not for you, you can sell it on, on here. :)

I know how you feel about the car, I have loved the look of the 350z for a long time but every time I drove one I was under-whelmed.......until I drove a supercharged one. In my opinion it should have come out the factory with similar power. I love it! :teeth:

I think that standard it has plenty power for the road. If you need more power on the road then you are either a lunatic or aren't driving the car properly....

Coming from me that has taken it above 3k revs about 10 times in the last 500 miles! :lol::lol::lol:

yeah the supechargers will run enough power that the stock internals can handle safely, the americans have ran 400whp using the vortech with stock internals but i think over here 400bhp is seen to be more realiable, it all depends on what your tuner feels will work best for you

the stock clutch seems to be a part that alot of people uprate even with stock power, i changed mine to a ACT clutch and flywheel and i felt the difference straight away, very strong and it gave me alot more confidence as well.

Paul

I thought the benefit of a supercharger over a turbo was not needing to uprate internals? Would items like clutchs etc need uprated to cope with 400hp?

Opinions vary but the stock engine should be safe around the 400 ish mark some are happy higher than that. I would think the comment was aiming at brakes, cooling clutch etc...

At 400bhp (fly) I would think the clutch is capable as long as your not drag starting every 5 mins (although its torque that kills clutches not hp). My car still has the stock clutch. It has done 13k total and around 10k of that is with the SC fitted. However I will change the clutch and fly when it wears out to something aftermarket.

The brembos are good enough for the road but decent pads, braided lines and good fluid would be advised. Again, mine are still standard and I haven't had a problem with them.........yet. I will be doing the above before any track use though.

I think that standard it has plenty power for the road. If you need more power on the road then you are either a lunatic or aren't driving the car properly....

Coming from me that has taken it above 3k revs about 10 times in the last 500 miles! :lol::lol::lol:

But then you could argue a 1.6 Focus has 'enough' power for the road. That's a silly comment to make when you drive a sports car.

None of us need 280bhp, but I think the car would benefit from another 50 or so horses.

With the weight, and the linear acceleration of the stock car it can feel underwhelming and some what lacking.

My opinion is if you think the car has enough power already then you aren't driving it properly ;)

Ahhh the quest for more power :)

I the best thing to do it try to test drive/get driven in an FI zed and the M3 your interested in or whatever else and compare the two.

If you go with FI than a big money saver is to get a quality second hand kit as mentioned above and enjoy the power hike, should be looking at around 400bhp. B)

FWIW - my advice would be sell your own Zed and buy (or at least test drive) an SC Zed that has all the money already spent on set-up (e.g. Ians) - it really takes quite a lot of effort (and beans) to get the Zed set-up properly for FI and running reliably.

My present Zed (Vortech SC with uprated fuel pump, injectors, APS plenum and oil sump, decat true-dual exhaust, Utec EMS inc mods like Tein coilovers & EDFC, uprated Nismo ARBs, JWT clutch & flywheel, Kaaz LSD, R888's, PF discs & uprated pads plus an amount of other mechanical and cosmetic mods) would cost an arm and a leg to bring a standard Zed to where mine is at but the difference to drive really is night and day. I would never recommend that anyone modify a Zed to the extent that Ians or P15ULT or my own Zed is at because for similar money you'd be most of the way to a R35 GTR - much better to buy a Zed where someone else has taken the financial pain.

FWIW - my advice would be sell your own Zed and buy (or at least test drive) an SC Zed that has all the money already spent on set-up (e.g. Ians) - it really takes quite a lot of effort (and beans) to get the Zed set-up properly for FI and running reliably.

My present Zed (Vortech SC with uprated fuel pump, injectors, APS plenum and oil sump, decat true-dual exhaust, Utec EMS inc mods like Tein coilovers & EDFC, uprated Nismo ARBs, JWT clutch & flywheel, Kaaz LSD, R888's, PF discs & uprated pads plus an amount of other mechanical and cosmetic mods) would cost an arm and a leg to bring a standard Zed to where mine is at but the difference to drive really is night and day. I would never recommend that anyone modify a Zed to the extent that Ians or P15ULT or my own Zed is at because for similar money you'd be most of the way to a R35 GTR - much better to buy a Zed where someone else has taken the financial pain.

+1 :lol:

But then you could argue a 1.6 Focus has 'enough' power for the road. That's a silly comment to make when you drive a sports car.

None of us need 280bhp, but I think the car would benefit from another 50 or so horses.

With the weight, and the linear acceleration of the stock car it can feel underwhelming and some what lacking.

My opinion is if you think the car has enough power already then you aren't driving it properly ;)

On the road? You'd be driving at illeagal speeds everywhere getting your thrills.

What do I know? I sold my supersports bike that did 80 odd mph in first gear to buy a supernaked bike as the supersport was too fast for the road without going at jail speeds on every ride.

Maybe I am a crap driver, I'm the first to admit I'm certainly not the best. I just think the roads are too dangerous to be driving to full potential everywhere in something with a bit of power.

That is why I suggested the OP maybe look into car limits type days and track days as it opens up a huge new world of thrills without so much risk. There you will be happy with standard Zed power until you start pushing your limitations.

Power is useless without control.