roof racks and winter driving

jammo

Hey

I have a few questions about the Zed as I don't know anyone who has one.

Can a roof rack be fitted to a 350Z for when I'm off to the airport?

What was it like to drive in the winter as I will be commuting and am worried about the snow. Last year in my area was harsh in portsmouth and thats my commute.

What tyres are good as I have seen them up to £250 a corner and not sure if I can afford such a big expenditure, especially as I've had a few punctures that can't be fixed in the past, ouch! That said, there is no point owning a drivers car without good tyres.

Anyone noticed what mpg their getting when cruising at 90mph?

Thanks all...

Hi Jammo, good to see another Pompy lad on here! Mine reads at about 27 mpg at 90mph. I just put some cheap Maxxis tyres on the rear for the time being, and they actually seem rather good! Better than my worn Potenzas anyway and they are supposed to be a good choice, and they were £75 plus v.a.t. I think.

Don't know about roofrack fitment, but you'd be surprised how much fits in the boot, specialy if you dont use rigid suitcases, we got all our stuff for a 2 week holiday in the boot with ease.

I bought mine just after the Big Snow this year so can't comment, but i remember a few people saying they struggled.

Hope this helps mate, if you need to have a look at a Z up close, send me a private message, if i'm free, your welcome to come look.

Hey

I have a few questions about the Zed as I don't know anyone who has one. You know lots now! :teeth:

Can a roof rack be fitted to a 350Z for when I'm off to the airport? No gutter to attach it too I'm afraid

What was it like to drive in the winter as I will be commuting and am worried about the snow. Last year in my area was harsh in portsmouth and thats my commute. Emmmmmmm not great but winters where I live are BAD - those autosocks are meant to be good

What tyres are good as I have seen them up to £250 a corner and not sure if I can afford such a big expenditure, especially as I've had a few punctures that can't be fixed in the past, ouch! That said, there is no point owning a drivers car without good tyres. Have a search, there is a sticky with tyre reviews too

Anyone noticed what mpg their getting when cruising at 90mph? No because I'd be breaking the law to find out! :p You can get 30mpg if you are going around 70mph.

Thanks all...

Hey

I have a few questions about the Zed as I don't know anyone who has one.

Can a roof rack be fitted to a 350Z for when I'm off to the airport? have a look at convertible boot racks, you might be able to get one of those to fit over the rear window.

What was it like to drive in the winter as I will be commuting and am worried about the snow. Last year in my area was harsh in portsmouth and thats my commute. if your not used to rear wheel drive; and driving in the snow;leave it at home. i found it fine even on very low bridgestones. its not good but i could get from A to B, good winter tyres make a big difference, or snow socks would help

What tyres are good as I have seen them up to £250 a corner and not sure if I can afford such a big expenditure, especially as I've had a few punctures that can't be fixed in the past, ouch! That said, there is no point owning a drivers car without good tyres. half this forum is about tyres, do some searching, to help though. check out camskills cheapest tyres around, or event tyres for some of the cheapest tyres and fitting combined prices

Anyone noticed what mpg their getting when cruising at 90mph? I never looked at the fuel gauge when on track. but when i finished my track day it was on about 10 mpg.

Thanks all...

You can fit a lot inside a zed, never seen a roof rack for a zed but a few

People here have fitted toe bar attachments for bikes etc so

Maybe worth a look?

The zed in winter is really pants I speak from experience - leave it at home and walk! One point always buy good tyres for it - there is a lot of power to be kept on a leash.

350bikerack.jpg

I don't know any details about this bike rack, I just stumbled across the photo recently. It appears to show that you can attach a rack to the car but I don't know how much damage they may have inflicted whilst doing so.

I'd me more concerned about the damage he's going to do to the underneath, "4 WHEEL DRIVE RECOMMENDED", just look at the size of those rocks :lol:

Pete

I've got to be honest, I'd laugh my head off if I saw a zed with a roof box! It's like buying a tandem to offer taxi services. It just won't work. If you have a zed don't make it look cheap by putting your cases on the roof :headhurt:

If you need to take cases I suggest getting a taxi or ask a friend to take you.

You can fit a fair bit in the Z. I help my little brother get a room full of stuff to uni recently. I literally had to cram it all in and move the passenger seat a far forward as it would go but managed to get it all in :thumbs:

I'm looking for some nice sticky tyres, i've got the potenza's at the minute. Never driven in snow but. I hoping it'll be a mild winter this year so the only thing you'll need to worry about is black ice :scare:

I've never looked at the mpg. I can't understand why anyone buying such an uneconomical car would worry about fuel economy. All you need to know if that you'll need to have deep pockets to run it :thumbs:

Well I got my answers there, I think the roof rack bit will not be an option so will get some soft cases for the boot. It was to put my snowboards on but I may find they fit down the middle of the car but I doubt it. Looks like I will borrow some one elses car for the snowboarding trips :stretcher:

The fuel economy sounds good to me as I always rag my rubbish cars which drops it alot anyway.

I have been on the tyre threads now and like the sound of the vredestine ultrac sessenta tyres and will look out for what the car has on it when I buy, NOT Bridgestones seems to be the verdict.

Thanks for everyones input much appreciated :thumbs:

I have seen a website about a year ago with racks specifically designed for the 350z. Had two zeds pictured from an elevated position from the back with the racks on. Where this was, I have no idea, but there is definitely something out there.

As for driving in the winter, I drove mine all through last winter @120+ miles a day including all the snow, etc. If you are capable and do not drive like an idiot, you'll be fine.

Edit: having actually googled the matter, it is indeed the Boofsquire roof rack as per above posts. :ban:

Only roof rack marketed for the 350/370Z is the boofsquire pictured above $200+ shipping- http://boofsquire.com/

4 small nylon straps hold it on, I decided I couldn't trust it with my bikes. Would be fine for snowboards etc!

Also its a re-package of a $30 universal roofrack.

Nice one!!! If I can't fit all the gear in the car and I'll test it early december then a Boofsquire roof rack is the possible answer, I thought I saw one years ago in france up the mountains when the 350Z first came out. It looked good to me B)

• 2 months later...

roofrack350Z_detail.jpg

The only roof rack designed for a Zed :lol:

It's a rehash of another design that does not fit properly at all as it is moulded flat but sits on a curved area of the boot, and look at the nylon strap all wrapped round.... what a pile of cack imo.

If you need to transport something too big to fit in a Zed then buy a bigger car or book a taxi :thumbs: