In at the deep end

Burn

Hello all

New to the forum. (Nearly) New to Z ownership.

Never owned a Z before, but shortlisted it with amongst other things: Audi TTS, Cayman, BMW Z4, Audi S5, Merc E350CDi Coupe.

Story of how 370Z got to top of said list...

Current car is Audi TT on a 58, lease expires tomorrow! Considered upgrade to TTS but trip down the M4 with a TT in front, behind and to the left made me realise just how naff and common this car now is. Scrapped from list.

Cayman... well 3.4 S was too rich by time it was specced up, so 2.9 looked like the affordable option. Cayman ticks all the petrol-head boxes; superb dynamics etc, but stigmatised as being a poor mans Porsche. The 2.9 is the poor mans Cayman. Jealous people would no doubt constantly remind me of that fact, and frankly spending years defending myself seems tiring before I even started. Scrapped from list.

Z4... nice car, but it is a BMW. I have an irrational hatred of BMWs (their drivers mostly). Scrapped from list.

Audi and Merc saloons... just one more sports car, then I'll grow up, promise. Scrapped from list.

Z had always been on the periphery as an option, buy as opposed to lease, most likely a low mileage second-hand 370, someone else taken the biggest bit of the depreciation hit, not common on the road (which I like), seems to tick all the boxes.

Came on here last night. Read enough, and saw enough, to at least want to take closer look. Clincher was seeing Nissan dealer in Slough getting a recommendation. "Slough on way to work, I'll drop in and take a look, maybe even buy a second-hand one, a bit of a toy, tune it, have fun for a while, flog it and buy the diesel saloon I should be buying".

Left having put a deposit on a new (that was never the plan) 370Z Black Edition, Auto (I'm lazy), in Quartz!! Arrives 24th.

Got home not long ago. Wife not in yet. You know before she does :blackeye:

Sorry for waffling, I'm still excited. :blush:

I have a weird feeling that I have just bought the car that, without ever realising it, I have always wanted. Genuinely excited, and surely I'm too old and cynical to feel like that :headhurt:

Welcome, there is something about these cars that induces a sense of excitement and anticipation, and no you're not too old to get excited, I did, I still am and I only bought a 54 350!! If you're anything like me, when you get it home you won't be able to stop looking at it, every time I open the garage door I still can't help smiling, sounds daft but I don't care!!! :blush:

Welcome, there is something about these cars that induces a sense of excitement and anticipation, and no you're not too old to get excited, I did, I still am and I only bought a 54 350!! If you're anything like me, when you get it home you won't be able to stop looking at it, every time I open the garage door I still can't help smiling, sounds daft but I don't care!!! :blush:

Couldn't have put it better myself. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 370, really love the interior on the black edition you will have lots of fun and you definitely made the right decision.

I have a weird feeling that I have just bought the car that, without ever realising it, I have always wanted. Genuinely excited, and surely I'm too old and cynical to feel like that :headhurt:

Never too old to enjoy a good car, I'm 64 and still get a buzz whenever I start that engine.

I'll allow myself a question...

Going back to dealer tomorrow to finalise paperwork.

Was getting the hard sell today on GAP Insurance at £900 (insuring 25% down, further £15000 over 24 months on 0%, remainder on balloon). Nissan Tracker System with 1st year subscription £1150.

Can I safely dismiss both of these as the dealer trying to up their margin?

Was getting the hard sell today on GAP Insurance at £900 (insuring 25% down, further £15000 over 24 months on 0%, remainder on balloon). Nissan Tracker System with 1st year subscription £1150.

Wouldn't bother with a tracker myself. Almost impossible to steal a modern car without the keys and if it did get nicked would you really want it back after it's been ragged by some scrote?

Oh and :welcome:

That is an outrageous amount of money for a Nissan Tracker System which is presumably based upon one of the proprietary brands? Best thing to do is check with your insurer and a), see if they require a "tracker' and B), see how much discount on your premium they will give if you do fit one. If they insist you have one, unlikely unless you have a history of having vehicles stolen or live in a post code with high theft rate, then shop around and get an ABI (Association of British Insurers) approved device fitted by a Thatcham approved installer. You won't pay anywhere near £1100. Most insurers are happy if it has a Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser fitted and it isn't worth more than £45K.

Hope that helps :D

You will find the GAP insurance much cheaper than quoted. As far as the tracker is concerned only get one if it reduces your insurance premiums and you can get the GPRS ones for a cost of 99p per day.

Hi and welcome to the forum, I could have written your first post myself :lol: Cant fault any of it. :thumbs:

I would also add that you have picked a great combo of spec and colour. :clap:

One tip, someone once said to me in this situation, its easier to apologise than ask. ;)

+1 :lol:

Welcome :thumbs:

I'm afraid I won't be joining the exclusive Black Edition club after all - found a new Storm White, Auto, Connect Premium, £28K - a £6K saving!!

I actually prefer it in white, far too many silver/grey/black cars on the road ;)

So Black Edition (Booo) cancelled - White Edition (Yay) ordered. :D

Money saved will possibly be spent on a Fast Intentions exhaust system, Stillen intakes, remap, suspension, maybe some 20" wheels, and some carbon vinyl wrapping front and back. Must have fangs. Got to be low. Got to be flush.

P.S. Can you buy Z badges to replace the Nissan bonnet and boot badges?