Parking charges --- Resolved Page 3 DON'T PAY

Husky

Ok so i was traveling back from liverpool from work, completely knackered and feeling the buzz strip getting ever closer, it was about 5pm so rush hour on the M6 was kicking in properly and i wanted no part in it. So just after going under one of these signs

400_F_8392050_fHgWlDDJLReHcybWZf4gVNqaOAaqERGk.jpg

i took its advice and pulled into the services to wait out the rush hour and have a well earned nap. The right thing to do in my opinion... well... aparently not according to the services with this lovely letter.

184888d1.jpg

So I was asleep in the car and they still took pictures of it and have fined me :dry: for avoiding a crash.

So on the one hand i understand there will have been a parking notice, but on the other hand i didnt even get out the car so i didnt see it.

I thought i was doing the right thing.

Bastards :dry:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't read it that well, I guess you've parked in an area which states maximum stay 2 hours or something??

That is a bit cheeky I've got to admit.

Might be worth checking out the signage at the services to establish exactly what rules have been placed on their carpark.

Gota say - damn cheeky!!

They must have sneeked up to your car, took a photo of you sleeping and slapped a nice ticket on the window!! :clap:

They've got balls some of these parking officers!! :boxing:

nope, no ticket on the window, just this through the post.

the jist of it is that i parked there for 3:49mins (was a cracking nap :D ) and thats too long, doesnt say by how much, just that its longer than whatever the acceptable time is :shrug: . They want to steal 50 squid from me if i pay by the 9th otherwise its 80 squid.

what can i do about this? im all for holding my hands up if ive done somethign wrong. If i had parked on a double yellow or such like then yeah, i'd suck it up and pay, but i just think this is complete bollocks.

It's a tough one - I'd suggest writting and disputing the charge, you have every right in which to do so. They cannot increase the penalty whilst you are in dispute of the charge. If they find you are still in denial they must allow you a further 14 days in which to pay the lower charge.

I've taken this comment from CP Plus Ltd site -

Car Parking Control

Our client-focused approach involves working closely with all our clients to ensure that every factor is taken into consideration. We can advise on equipment, control, revenue generation & protection, parking enforcement and many other issues.

Could be a revenue generated ticket and that you are not in breach of the car parking regulations. I'd contact the motorway services direct and speak with their site manager and discuss what the rules are??

it is crap, I've done same when I was shattered and so pulled in for a nap, after 2 hours I was woken up and told to go back onto motorway! Luckily no ticket but I really do think it's shocking that the only places to stop have a time limit on them! This is surely counter productive to the tiredeness campaign that seems to be running strong!

the jist of it is that i parked there for 3:49mins (was a cracking nap :D )

I am completely gob smacked! You do actually sleep :lol:

Seriously though, I agree, totally out of order, like you say you were in the car, it was obvious you were taking a nap, not using the place for a free car park to travel on else where with someone else! Kick up, I would!

Beware I argued for months with a private parking firm about a ticket issued at Ninewells hospital (as did several hundred other people) - once they hand it to a debt collection agencey - which I assume they do after the 9th- the costs will pile up.

You could try writing to them stating you were unwell and had to stop driving :shrug: Prolly not worth the hassle though

If you dispute the charge by law they cannot take action unless they respond notifying the charge is legitimate.

Best option is to find out what the parking rules are at the services before proceeding with payment or dispute?

Write back stating you were following advice from VOSA and ensuring you exited the motorway at your earliest opportunity as you felt tired while driving. You did not wish to rejoin the carriageway until you were confident that you were alert enough to safely control a vehicle at 70mph.

If they can provide a doctors certificate showing that you were fit enough after the 2 hour period you will accept the fine.

Failing to dismiss the fine or provide medical evidence that you were alert enough within their acceptable time limits, will mean you will have to alert the police and road safety officals to their blatant disregard for road saftey, their encouragment of motorists to drive while not fit to do so and lobby for the services in question to be closed as their actions would constitue a serious road saftey issue.

Then put it in the bin.

:wacko: i still dont know what to do really.

i think if i phone and plead my case with them they will just say i definately have to pay and thats about as useful as i imagine them being, if i can even get through that is. bearing in mind they make money from me phoning.

the bin it idea sounds tempting but i cant be bothered with the constant stream of hate mail from them.

SIGH!!!

ok, so:

this is the blurb on thier site

http://www.moto-way.co.uk/parking-queries

A: All Motorway Service Operators offer free parking for 2 hours, but charge for parking after this period. This position has been the same for the last forty years on the motorway.

The reason for charging after two hours is that our main purpose is to provide rest and relaxation for long distance travellers. Because we are in convenient locations, many people like to park in our locations and then share cars for the rest of the day and if we do not make a charge after the 2 hour free period we simply wouldn’t have enough spaces for our permitted use.

The 2 hour parking policy in place at Moto is accompanied by many clear signs, which we have endeavored to make as visible and helpful as possible, at entrances and exits as well throughout each of the parking areas.

The parking controls in operation at some of our sites consist of digital camera automatic number plate recognition systems, also known as ANPR. At other sites we may have a patrolman.

It is not our intention to charge drivers who marginally exceed the parking restrictions, nor charge those who have slightly overstayed whilst significantly patronizing our facilities. However, it is important that Moto is able to offer enough spaces to regular travellers and we cannot do this if our car parks are full of long term parking vehicles. If you receive a parking charge notice that you believe is unfair or unreasonable we have an appeal process and you should write to:

Appeals Section

PO Box 599

Borehamwood

WD6 4ZL

and here is the campaign blurb from the government

http://www.dft.gov.uk/think/focusareas/driving/386095?page=Campaign&whoareyou_id=

Driver tiredness

Our tiredness campaign aims to target people from the time they plan their journey to when they are on the road. A key element of the tiredness campaign is radio advertising, which enables us to target people while they are in their cars.

This is supported by advertising in motorway service areas, a partnership marketing campaign and online advertising with the key message: 'Tiredness Kills. Take a 15 minute break every two hours'.

The campaign aims to:

* encourage drivers to take a 15 minute break every two hours of driving

* increase awareness of the dangers of driving while tired

* increase awareness of the signs of driver sleepiness

The target audience is made up of:

* company car drivers aged under 30, for example, sales reps

* company car drivers aged between 30 and 44, for example sales executives

* HGV/LGV drivers

* passengers

* leisure drivers

Key messages

* Tiredness kills. Make time for a break.

* Plan your journey to include a 15 minute break every two hours of driving.

so it looks like i have naff all chance of getting out of it tbh. seems i was ANPR'd. my extra long super nap (as awsome as it was :cloud9: ) is far more than the 15 mins the government want me to take, 2 hours would be ample in their eyes. i should have set an alarm, lesson learned then.

bye bye 50 quid. :(

I assume the car park was not full, and I also assume you didnt park the car there and journey onward in another vehicle. I will further assume you parked your Z out of the way probably to the far end of the car park to avoid any nasty door dings.

So, you were not obstructing further vehicles from parking, you did not leave your car unattended while leaving the premises in another vehicle and you ensured your vehicle was parked in a manner to ensure maximum convenience to the facilities for all other users.

Their reasoning for the imposition of the charges is therefore in my professional opinion, "shot to sh1t".

I'd appeal it on the grounds that this particular infraction was made on the grounds of safety, and with no malicious intent to abuse the parking facilities. If they stick to their guns, then it is clear evidence that they value their revenue generation from car parks above the safety of the road users whom provide their custom. A letter stating as much should then be provided to the local police and MP (and the local rag for that area too). If I were going to lose £50 for this, then Id be damned sure someone ot the services got a hard time of it from the police and authorities along the way.

If someone at CPP or whatever the car parking "company" is loses their job along the way, then so be it, they shouldnt be such pedantic w***ers.

I wouldn't pay it! - Check / post on pepipoo first but:

Only council / police parking charges are enforced through the courts etc.

Courses of action I've read about on pepipoo before:

a) bin it and anything else they send you, don't respond

B) write back saying their dispute is with the driver of the vehicle, not the registered keeper, please halt all correspondence - they can't make you tell them who was driving.

-------

EDIT: they are well known:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... CBwQrQIwAA

No need to pay up.

:drive1

Exactly same thing happened to me. I pulled over into the services for a sleep and got slapped with a fine for outstaying my welcome. After 3 threatening letters, all of which I ignored, they finally stopped persuing the fine. These fines are totally unenforceable, and unacceptable in my opinion..... surely that's the whole point of a motorway services?!! Just ignore the letters, there's nothing they can do.

Dude pay it then we'll organise a meet of every single forum member in their car park.......pull up in all the spaces for 1.59mins then all bog off.

Should cost them a few thousand in revenue :D

In fact - tell them thats what your going to do or otherwise they can nullify the fine for you ;)

John- I hope the advice given by everyone else is good and sincerely hope that they don't persue you. :thumbs:

If however you get a letter from a debt collection agency after the 9th September you will find that that agency now owns the fine and believe me they will persue you and continually add charges.

Oh...and I love Ricey's idea :yahoo:

John- I hope the advice given by everyone else is good and sincerely hope that they don't persue you. :thumbs:

If however you get a letter from a debt collection agency after the 9th September you will find that that agency now owns the fine and believe me they will persue you and continually add charges.

Oh...and I love Ricey's idea :yahoo:

Im with you on this one, things can get very messy, I would find out your rights and where you stand with Citizens advice then go from there. As once you are classed as having bad debt (because you debt has been sold on) then you will start to find you get letters and nocks on the door, and the people who do home visits dont care what you say to them about "its a private company you cant come in" they will start being very difficult....you will have to prove your in the right by sending of numerous paper work etc..

I had a situation where i moved into a flat and the previous tenant had been a right scumbag taken out car finance and all sorts. For months i got letters coming through, i used to write on them "Not known at this address" and some how they found out i lived there and we started getting people coming to the door in the morning normally when your late for work! and you would have to show them your driving license etc.. to prove the person had left. It was never scary or anything it was more just a pain in the backside and i would avoid it like the plague!

So to cut a long story short, double check where you stand from some pros...imho

It's a private company. They can't enforce the fine so you're safe to just ignore it. They will write to you a few times then give up. I've had a fine from a private company before and just plain ignored it.

Private company may not be able to enforce but a debt collection agency who owns the ticket because they've bought it off the private company can :shrug: