Which pads?

albo

OK, so my front pads are nearly dead and I need to order some more. Looking at EBC yellow or red. would go straight for the yellows but dont they need warming up to get the most out of them? I don't drive like a maniac all the time so don't think I need to spend the extra for yellows. What are your thoughts/advice.

Many thanks kind sirs..... :teeth:

From what is easily available I would say Ferodo every time, 2500s are about the best fast road pads going but will wilt under heavy use on a track day. EBC is cheap crap imho, they can take quite serious temperature but I have never got a decent pedal feel from them. Pagid ceramic or carbon pads are about the best pads on the market but they are bloody expensive if you can even get them.

I have used both EBC Red and Yellow on the 350z on road and track:

EBC red are fine for road use. They work from cold and are good up to point when the temps rise. They give off very little dust even on a track day.

EBC yellows work from cold and work on track very very well especially for the price. They give of more dust than Reds.

The yellowstuff on my car have done 10 fairly qiuck laps of the nurburgring and a run up and down stelvio pass without brake fade ( I do have cooling pipes fitted though). They felt great throughout. I also have ATE superblue fluid with standard discs.

I have not used DS2500 personally. A friend fitted DS3000 to his car for the same Eurotrip as me me and has suffered bad brake judder. They are also very dusty.

I am not slagging off any pads here, just offering my/ my friends experiences.

I have used both EBC Red and Yellow on the 350z on road and track:

EBC red are fine for road use. They work from cold and are good up to point when the temps rise. They give off very little dust even on a track day.

EBC yellows work from cold and work on track very very well especially for the price. They give of more dust than Reds.

The yellowstuff on my car have done 10 fairly qiuck laps of the nurburgring and a run up and down stelvio pass without brake fade ( I do have cooling pipes fitted though). They felt great throughout. I also have ATE superblue fluid with standard discs.

I have not used DS2500 personally. A friend fitted DS3000 to his car for the same Eurotrip as me me and has suffered bad brake judder. They are also very dusty.

IMO yellowstuff are pretty good. DS3000 are pretty much track pads. :thumbs:

great throughout. I also have ATE superblue fluid with standard discs.

Just for your information DS3000's are not meant for the road, they are meant for high operating temperatures and have a fairly high wear rate hence the serious amount of dust.

Just for your information DS3000's are not meant for the road, they are meant for high operating temperatures and have a fairly high wear rate hence the serious amount of dust.

I am aware of the track only status of ds3000 pads. :thumbs: My mate is an extreme type of person who demands pads which can take high temperatures while driving to work/ shops/ on track.

Even so, I dont think he would go ds3000 again.

I am aware of the track only status of ds3000 pads. :thumbs: My mate is an extreme type of person who demands pads which can take high temperatures while driving to work/ shops/ on track.

He must drive crazy if he can get them upto temp on the road. :lol:

I use yellow stuffs and on the road no issues at all. They seem like very good pads to me.

I also use them on track and they do overheat after about 15 minutes of abuse, track dependent but they last long enough before you should really be pulling in anyway.

I'm off for DS2500's next time around because of the track use. If you are considering any trackdays I'd go DS2500 and for road yellowstuffs.

Not exactly 350 related, but I've had a few different types when I ran my 182, mostly road driving but also occasional trackdays. I know there's a big weight difference, but my experience might help:

DS2500 - not too bad on the road, needed some heat in them though, squealed like hell, rubbish on track, very quick fade.

Pagid Blue - absolutely superb, but very expensive. The front set for the clio's puny little calipers were in the region of £160. Felt like OEM on the road in terms of initial bite, no heat required, but didn't fade at all on track.

OEM are by far the best road only option in terms of cost and cold bite, you'd be doing well to fade them on road aswell and probably driving like you should be on a track.

EBC are regarded in the racing world as shocking, fair enough they may sponsor a few big names, but you ask and 'privateer' race team about EBC and they will tell you to stay well clear.

They have a depot in my town and give very good discount, but I would only fit EBC pads to a very cheap car that I knew wouldn't do much work

Not exactly 350 related, but I've had a few different types when I ran my 182, mostly road driving but also occasional trackdays. I know there's a big weight difference, but my experience might help:

DS2500 - not too bad on the road, needed some heat in them though, squealed like hell, rubbish on track, very quick fade.

Pagid Blue - absolutely superb, but very expensive. The front set for the clio's puny little calipers were in the region of £160. Felt like OEM on the road in terms of initial bite, no heat required, but didn't fade at all on track.

OEM are by far the best road only option in terms of cost and cold bite, you'd be doing well to fade them on road aswell and probably driving like you should be on a track.

EBC are regarded in the racing world as shocking, fair enough they may sponsor a few big names, but you ask and 'privateer' race team about EBC and they will tell you to stay well clear.

They have a depot in my town and give very good discount, but I would only fit EBC pads to a very cheap car that I knew wouldn't do much work

Was you on cliosport.net? :thumbs:

The oem on the clio are just generally good pads. I have never used OEM pads that are that good. Pagid blues are good and so are the carbon lorraines. Usually with such harsh pads espcially the latter if used on standard discs they will kill them and even spark, so most people get Brembo High Carbon.

I think the weight behind the 350 makes the brakes feel sloppy and need to be upgraded alot. My brothers boxster has similar brakes on his car but they stop alot quick and with less drama due to less weight. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

This is true, on the ring i had a lot of pad transfer which was making the car judder like f**k, brake ducts are needed to keep the discs a bit cooler. they did wear quite a lot to.

But on a plus side they are very very strong pad. ill be seeing how they work with cooling ducts on my next trackday soon.

Must add i was quite impressed with yellow stuff that where on the 2 other 350z's on the ring trip.

I've just fitted a set of EBC red's front and rear, I'd heard some good reports, and it was said they produced not much dust, now I'm reading the opposite on this thread. Have I just wasted £120 ?

I had stock OEM's fitted, loads of material left, but they squealed constantly, and faded quite badly when warm.

I've just fitted a set of EBC red's front and rear, I'd heard some good reports, and it was said they produced not much dust, now I'm reading the opposite on this thread. Have I just wasted £120 ?

I had stock OEM's fitted, loads of material left, but they squealed constantly, and faded quite badly when warm.

I have used reds on the road, they were fine but do fade under hard driving. I found they put very little dust onto the wheel compared to other pads ive used.