What inductions kit?? Pop Charger maybe?? 2004 ZED

larsdowg

From my research a few months back, I would probably opt for the K&N Typhoon Induction Kit.

large112952.jpg

You get a polished intake pipe (colours available), cold air box with scoop from the bumper and carbon fibre lid...plus the filter itself. All for just over £200.

I've still not got round to getting one yet, and might just opt for a simple drop-in filter.

From my research a few months back, I would probably opt for the K&N Typhoon Induction Kit.

large112952.jpg

You get a polished intake pipe (colours available), cold air box with scoop from the bumper and carbon fibre lid...plus the filter itself. All for just over £200.

I've still not got round to getting one yet, and might just opt for a simple drop-in filter.

Definitely for maximum power increase you need an airbox of some sort to channel the cold air, however for the best sound something like the pop charger (what a ridiculous name for an induction kit!?!?) is gonna be the way to go. Personally I opt for sound every time :D

Actually I did do a search :) but as a lot of the discussions are probably a few months out of date, I purposely asked this again for an up to date answer! (not so unreasonable?). In particular for example the HKS suction kit, there is not much info. But thanks I'll look into the ARC box or 06+ box with panel filter.

I had a HKS Racing Suction until recently. My honest opinion is that it looks awesome and sounds even better than it looks. BUT, when I got on a dyno and compared it to the stock (06+) intake I found it was losing me about 4hp consistently through the rev range so I ended up going back to stock. 4hp isn't much in the grand sceme of things, but for me, it's 4hp I don't want to pay good money to loose!

Okay cheers for that info, I am surprised it lost you 4hp, maybe there was a problem with the installation. I think I would do the same, you don't expect to lose power with a HKS part usually! I like the HKS but now I am thinking maybe K&N typhoon, pop charger or the stock 06+ intake.

the stock instakle is the only one in your list that wont loose you power :thumbs:

06+ Stock intake it is then, will try and get a quote from a dealer sometime. :)

Stay away from the dealer!!!!! :scare:

If you want an airbox try traders on here first, try ZMANALEX or R35LEE as they may even have a second hand box around

I've got a pipercross induction kit here for sale, got the chrome pipe and the heat shield box, blue hose connections, pm me if your interested

I've purchased this from Scott, (thanks Scott)

thanks everyone for your input, will have to see how I get on with it....... I have a full stainless system so shoudl sound great from both ends now.

Thanks

Larsdowg

Actually I did do a search :) but as a lot of the discussions are probably a few months out of date, I purposely asked this again for an up to date answer! (not so unreasonable?). In particular for example the HKS suction kit, there is not much info. But thanks I'll look into the ARC box or 06+ box with panel filter.

I had a HKS Racing Suction until recently. My honest opinion is that it looks awesome and sounds even better than it looks. BUT, when I got on a dyno and compared it to the stock (06+) intake I found it was losing me about 4hp consistently through the rev range so I ended up going back to stock. 4hp isn't much in the grand sceme of things, but for me, it's 4hp I don't want to pay good money to loose!

Okay cheers for that info, I am surprised it lost you 4hp, maybe there was a problem with the installation. I think I would do the same, you don't expect to lose power with a HKS part usually! I like the HKS but now I am thinking maybe K&N typhoon, pop charger or the stock 06+ intake.

Nope, no problem with installation. Aftermarket filters just don't flow as well as as the standard intake.

Thanks for the advice guys, seems like a lot of manufacturer kits boast between 5-10 boost to HP so I guess this can be taken with a punch of salt! I will see if I can source an 06+ intake from the traders mentioned on here, hopefully that would save me some cheddar.

How can nismo claim power gains from there intake if all these kits are losing power? I'll tell you what I think then, I think on the dyno it's showing a loss in power due to the fact that when the car is stationary there's no possible way to imitate the airflow of when the car is moving ie getting heat soak due to it being stationary. So on a real road when the car is moving and getting the necessary airflow these kits will show a gain? :shrug:

How can nismo claim power gains from there intake if all these kits are losing power? I'll tell you what I think then, I think on the dyno it's showing a loss in power due to the fact that when the car is stationary there's no possible way to imitate the airflow of when the car is moving ie getting heat soak due to it being stationary. So on a real road when the car is moving and getting the necessary airflow these kits will show a gain? :shrug:

My dyno runs were done with the bonnett up and a large industrial fan blowing so I don't think heat soak would've been an issue. The engine bay will always be hot whether you are moving or not which is why the standard intake has a proper sealed box, not just an exposed cone filter.

I had a long chat with the Paul at RS tuning about this at the time and he reckoned that pretty much all after market filters were less efficient that the standard air intakes.

My dyno runs were done with the bonnett up and a large industrial fan blowing so I don't think heat soak would've been an issue. The engine bay will always be hot whether you are moving or not which is why the standard intake has a proper sealed box, not just an exposed cone filter.

I had a long chat with the Paul at RS tuning about this at the time and he reckoned that pretty much all after market filters were less efficient that the standard air intakes.

Even with the bonnet up your still going to get heatsoak, there's is no way even with a large industrial fan blowing that your gonna get enough air to imitate the natural airflow when driving at around 60mph, it's the air volume and velocity that matters not only the air velocity. Surely these companys cannot sell something that doesn't do what is stated, that means it was misrepresented in it's sale and everyone should be given refunds.

Neil I had a good look at the 06+ airbox I've just bought off of Craigus, and to be honest the design of it, from the mouth going into the little hole in the bumper, and the fact its an enclosed unit, makes it look a lot more befitting of the role its intended, than a JWT or similar. I'd think if it was showing gains in a dyno that jwt/nismo was failing to show (+4bhp), then it wouldn't only show better gains in dyno, but also on the road conditions to a jwt/nismo. So it's win win either way for the 06+ airbox.

It is strange how they can market these things as being better, but who knows what set up they were using when they done their tests.

most of the mods you'll only ever see the gains if you get the car mapped to make the most of it.

yes the stock 06 will make the biggest gains over other intakes; but it doesn't all of a sudden mean that every other intake looses BHP.

abbey only ever said the best gains would be had with an 06+ box, not all airboxes will loose power.

if you stick an open filter in a hot engine at stand still it will loose power,

shield it and get it a decent air feed and you stand a better chance. not all cone filters are useless, its the fact that the OEM box offers excellent heat protection. Honda use cone filters as standard on the S2k because a cone offers a wider surface area to suck more air in through.

Neil I had a good look at the 06+ airbox I've just bought off of Craigus, and to be honest the design of it, from the mouth going into the little hole in the bumper, and the fact its an enclosed unit, makes it look a lot more befitting of the role its intended, than a JWT or similar. I'd think if it was showing gains in a dyno that jwt/nismo was failing to show (+4bhp), then it wouldn't only show better gains in dyno, but also on the road conditions to a jwt/nismo. So it's win win either way for the 06+ airbox.

It is strange how they can market these things as being better, but who knows what set up they were using when they done their tests.

I think the reason it dynos better is because it enclosed and not getting the hear soak. When on the road the induction kits have a larger surface area on the filter and with the airflow while moving it while be able to swallow more air where as the airbox will have a smaller free area so it doesn't necessarily mean that when moving your gonna have that extra gain over the induction kit.

I've bought one of these gadgets that plugs into your ecu and monitors all your actual speeds, acceleration, g-force and an actual on the road 0-60 etc so when it arrives I'll post up my results

I think the reason it dynos better is because it enclosed and not getting the hear soak. When on the road the induction kits have a larger surface area on the filter and with the airflow while moving it while be able to swallow more air where as the airbox will have a smaller free area so it doesn't necessarily mean that when moving your gonna have that extra gain over the induction kit.

I've bought one of these gadgets that plugs into your ecu and monitors all your actual speeds, acceleration, g-force and an actual on the road 0-60 etc so when it arrives I'll post up my results

On the road my intake temps were lower with a pop charger than a std 03 airbox & were lower again with the ARC box.

But when dynoed I was told by the operator that design of of the popcharger was losing me power. On the same rolling road a few months later (only changes were headers, stock intake & removal of plenum spacer) I gained 13hp over the figures with a popcharger & spacer :)

On the road my intake temps were lower with a pop charger than a std 03 airbox & were lower again with the ARC box.

But when dynoed I was told by the operator that design of of the popcharger was losing me power. On the same rolling road a few months later (only changes were headers, stock intake & removal of plenum spacer) I gained 13hp over the figures with a popcharger & spacer :)

Exactly what I'm saying. The rolling road does not prove it's effectiveness

I dont know why people ar getting hung up on losing ~3/4 hp, it will not be noticeable if your down a few hp.

Just pick the one you like the look of & sounds the best, you are never going to get great gains while still N/A.

I learnt a long time ago that N/A mods are a waste of money for the gains achieved