Ripping old exhaust off, my struggle, DONE pics p5

Husky

04 plate car

38k miles

My exhaust started blowing in a big way (undrivable) so i sourced a new one, Doogyrev was kind enough to bestow upon me the best condition used exhaust known to man :teeth: Look!

P1030833.jpg

P1030835.jpg

So yesterday i set about getting the old one off, now ive taken a backbox off before so i started there :cry: so here she is, still covered in gungum from me trying to keep my hearing intact.

P1030838.jpg

you can see the earth strap has snapped straight off and how much rust there was there

P1030840.jpg

so time to attack it with the wire brush until my knuckles bled :evil:

P1030841.jpg

now to pop off the earth strap bolt, oh look! that was so easy, maybe the rest will be just like this one :D not a plucking chance :lol:

P1030842.jpg

under that is the real bolt, this ones usually not bad as its kinda protected by the earth bolt, off that comes.

P1030843.jpg

now for the bad news, the next one, no matter how many pennys you throw into wells and wish, it will be stubborn and turn into cheese. So i put on the socket/breaker bar and all 6 corners rounded in one go. Out with the mini blow torch...

P1030845.jpg

right that didnt work, lets get DREMEL on the job :teeth:smiley-scared003.gif

P1030850.jpg

ok so no.. dremel didnt work, well more that i wanted not to die of old age before removing the exhaust, so i gave up and found the massive crack between the flange and the pipe and stuck a brick chisel in :lol: TADA! :#1:

P1030854.jpg

so i went for a spin with only the midpipe :teeth:

I HEREBY NAME THIS SETUP.. THE K1(foc)

that was yesterday.... this is today :doh:

P1030859.jpg

so i got a breaker bar on the Y-pipe to mid pipe bolts and pushed... and pushed... turned round, got my feet on the bar and pushed with everything i had... Not a movement. so i WD40'd it to death.... mmmm nope not a move. so i got out my new toy :lol::teeth:

BLOWTORCH mwahahahaha. :evil::evil:

Yeah so tip 1 for blowtorching; dont use even near where you put WD40 30 mins ago :lol:

i put my heatproof mat round behind the Y-pipe and started blowtorching the nut, sorry i dont have any pics, it was a tight sqeeze getting under the car and i thought paying attention to the fire under my car was important :scare: but it came off first time!

My advice!! Just blow torch it right from square one, dont fanny about doing other stuff just go straight for the big guns B) plus its very cool when the neighbors watch, they actually think you know what your doing ;):thumbs:

so dead mid pipe is here

P1030861.jpg

and dead back box is here

P1030860.jpg

ive now only got the y-pipe on the car and it is deafeningly loud!!!

P1030862.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have to say i am considering taking it out on the road y-pipe only :lol: would i get in trouble? and if so how much :lol:

at this rate if i dont get a move on and put the new one on i will need to drive to work like it!! :scare:

quick question.. the y-pipe join to the midpipe was blowing a teeny bit, if i just change the gasket would that solve it or do i need to change the whole y-pipe? :wacko:

I reckon you should drive to work tomorrow with it as it is, I'm quite keen to hear what it sounds like!

If you get stopped you could just claim that it must have fallen off when you went through a pot hole or something like that, pretend you hadn't noticed there was anything missing :thumbs: !

:lol::lol::lol: i dont know officer, all of a sudden it sounded like a track car :lol:

hmm i may see what its like on idle and barely loaded, if its even tolerable. think of standing next to a track car as it rev's and your there.

edit sorry husky that should have read as you manically laughing :blush:

of course :teeth:

got to say this was so loud i didnt even get the manic laughter :blush:

I feel a bit like i just abused nature :disguise:

video uploading :wiggle:

the garage that done mines even struggled and it was only on for 4 months

whens this video appearing then so we can hear it and decide whether we're taking our mid pipes and back boxes off :lol::lol:

nice lol, what kinda camera is it recorded on?

sounds very similar to what my k1 sounded like :lol:

one of the cheapy keychain cams :)

i can assure you it is a whole lot louder than a K1 :lol: and less than half the price :lol: