had play with mates 4.5l Cerbera... Now with pics

bigmike20vt

And my thoughts are........

Am glad i got the 350Z (was a close run thing i nearly got myself a 4.5l V8 cerb for only 1k more than my 350Z).

1st off i LOVE the cerbera, hand stitched leather dashboard, the best sounding engine this side of something over 100k and imo it is just a bit special.

So my mate and i had a play, and following him was simply incredible, the sound was honestly like a jet engine - so much so, i was wondering why my car was not picking up, turned out i was hitting the rev limiter in 4th - but i could not hear my car at all - (oops! sorry car! and i guess i was going a little fast for her majesties roads - tho there was no one else around on a dual carrageway)

BUT

Whilst it is true no doubt the cerb is easily the faster car, as my mate glided past me at around (some silly speed i probably should put on a public forum), he looked scared to death, where as mine which was going (only a slightly less silly speed) was still well and truly planted on the road. When i spoke with him afterwards he could not believe how much better balanced the 350Z is than the cerb (mind you he needs 2 new front tyres)

also, the little things which i know would drive me nuts if it was my car. on 1 side you can barely put 2 fingers under the wheel arch, on the other side you can nearly get 4 fingers under. (apparently this is the norm)

the twin exhausts on the TVR are not quite straight

the boot lock sometimes has a paddy when shutting the boot.

all perfectly normal for tvr owning.

Now do not get me wrong, his cerb has been reliable for 3 years, but he still has to spend around 1.5k a year in sundries to keep it that way and his next service is gonna be a killer.

I still really love the cerbera, but i must say It seems a car which if i am honest would be too much of a handful for me. would be a matter of when i stacked it i think, not if.

Interestingly, my double glazing fitter was round last night just tweaking my new doors, turns out he has a 1998 lotus esprit 3.5l V8. He said if he needs to come back, so long as he does not need many tools with him he will bring that and take me for a spin.

Nice one, sounds like fun :)

I was also considering a Tuscan before the Zed, but it just had too many problems that 'could' go wrong with it, I was terrified of getting a car and having to get a loan just to run it!

The zed is definitely planted and one of the reasons I love it so much. I think if we were to move to another car that was a bit skittish, we would be terrified due to being spoilt by the safe feeling of the zed.

Nice one Mike i remember chasing one going to TOTB in York, he was an ex coupe owner (can't remember his name now) bloody flames coming out of the exhausts!

i was in my coupe and tbh he was only just creeping away!

Happy days :thumbs:

Kev

do love the cerbra, but the sagaris is :cloud9:

esprit is :cloud9: as well.

always got aprehensive about the running costs of a TVR, my dads colleague had one, and dad said it seemed to spend more time in the garage than it did on the road. don't know which he had, but they are nice. you do really need to make a commitment to have one, and a good strong bank balance. :lol:

I always thought the Zed had a better ride at 3 figures than 30mph. Its a great car.

Glad I'm not the only one then. I always say the motorway is where the Zed really comes into it's own, it's very comfortable at 70 :lol:;)

the zed does cruise beautifully, its what it was designed for

Sound's like one hell of a day you had, though to admit if I had the chance of a tvr, it would be a Sagaris! :evil: Saw one half a year ago it was edging forward through traffic and was almost spinning each time the guy moved, such a raw car!

I WANT a TreVoR is a kind of 'must own' way. I hanker after them but know my pockets aren't deep enough to run one properly.

Saying that I'd have an old S series one too and I bet they aren't as bad although less reliable!

I was torn between a Z or a Cerbera when i was looking.....they have a towering 'personality'. The Z makes so much more sense, but to be honest i dont give a f**k about sensible, it was only that 'her inddors' didn't seem keen on the TVR, and then a nice Z came up, which we bought. Still fantasize about the Cerbera though.

I have been lucky to have both a Tuscan S Mk 1 and a Cerbera lightweight 4.5 for 9 months and 1 1/2 years respetectly and all in all it was painfree ownership :thumbs:

The tuscan s was always trying to bite and hence i drove it with loads of respect and i guess i would have been slower in it than a zed but the cerbera was just everything and more. it never broke down and i only needed four mods to be happy: nitron colies, front under lip spoiler and sports exhaust and swapped for anthracite wheels :thumbs:

I had a few trackdays with it and in the dry in comparison it will eat the zed alive. i swapped ends thrice in the wet...and gave her more respect then.

I think since then every car i have owned i have tried to make it more cerbera like in terms of outright handling, noise and power and one of the reason i enjoy my zed so much is the fact that its the closest i have come to achieving this B)

I have driven the sagaris and the tuscan s Mk2 and they are both better than the cerebera but i will have them as second cars if money was no object because at the end of the day TVR ownership can be hell and i was just lucky :p

for me TVR's interiors i find a bit off putting, but then i've only ever seen pictures, would need to see one in th eflesh, they just look a bit...err.... kit carish like inside. :blush:

HOLY COCKWEASELS BATMAN! Dude, I've been waiting forever to find someone else who doesn't like TVR interiors, I thought I was the only one! :D I know they're minimalist and stylish and beautiful, and yet I really can't stand them in the slightest. Chim, Grif, Tuscan, Sag... They're all fugly to me.

for me TVR's interiors i find a bit off putting, but then i've only ever seen pictures, would need to see one in th eflesh, they just look a bit...err.... kit carish like inside. :blush:

HOLY COCKWEASELS BATMAN! Dude, I've been waiting forever to find someone else who doesn't like TVR interiors, I thought I was the only one! :D I know they're minimalist and stylish and beautiful, and yet I really can't stand them in the slightest. Chim, Grif, Tuscan, Sag... They're all fugly to me.

you phrased it better than me :lol:

i was just being tactful, as they just :yuck: to me, to much leather, funny colours used, not enough dials and buttons and switches.

as its the one place you see more of in the car than anything else, you really need to like where your sat. and for me its the one turn off of the TVR

You have to love TVR's... if I were richer I'd have a Tuscan Mk2 or Sagaris for sure.

400 bhp in a car that weighs little more than a tonne... and with no ABS or safety equipment at all (is that right?)... what could possibly go wrong!?

Are TVR making a comeback or have I made that up??

+122389238389393289392932