New mobile phone

Madmarky

Im looking to get a new phone, my old N85 is up for renewal so looking for some advice. I ideally want a Nokia, ive dabbled in the past with other makes and always seem to go back to Nokia in the end but im open to suggestions. Only really need to use it for calls but the occasional internet browsing would be nice. Just had a look at the N900, its a bit of a brick but looks highly recommended with the new style linux based operating system and flash supported browser. Anyone played with one of these? The only other thing is i would like to be able to check email both hotmail and my work mail but i think the work mail is slightly restricted by the exchange server but again open to suggestions.

palm pre

O2 are doing a good deal on it at the moment, New Palm Pre plus due out any day, basically the say but with more ram.

I've got one and have to say I'm really pleased with it. I also looked at the N900 but I wanted something that could fit in my pocket and no need for a manbag like with the iphone or similar

Got a mate whose got the N900. He loves it but says its very techie, so with him being a programmer it suits him down to the ground

Moved from n95 to IPhone several months ago. Haven't ever used a phone as good as this for Internet browsing and general emails etc. It leaves the nokia for dead with regards to speed and smoothness. camera sucks tho, but more than makes up for that.

palm pre

O2 are doing a good deal on it at the moment, New Palm Pre plus due out any day, basically the say but with more ram.

I've got one and have to say I'm really pleased with it. I also looked at the N900 but I wanted something that could fit in my pocket and no need for a manbag like with the iphone or similar

Got a mate whose got the N900. He loves it but says its very techie, so with him being a programmer it suits him down to the ground

Im a programmer too so may be right up my street although i gave up learning programming languages 10 years ago now so would be interesting seeing how i could adapt. ill have a look at the Palm Pre not sure if they are available on Orange, in fact the Orange site doesn't list many phones at all and tried getting hold of customer services and get a message constantly saying they are busy please phone back later lol :headhurt:

palm pre

Im a programmer too so may be right up my street although i gave up learning programming languages 10 years ago now so would be interesting seeing how i could adapt. ill have a look at the Palm Pre not sure if they are available on Orange, in fact the Orange site doesn't list many phones at all and tried getting hold of customer services and get a message constantly saying they are busy please phone back later lol :headhurt:

only on O2 but O2 have no longer got exclusivity so other networks are taking it. Should be with in the next few days

I take it you have one of these? What do you personally think of it, does browser support flash?

:thumbs: its the crème ala crème these days, the 4g is a disappointment in my eyes... looks slick and feels slick. I went from a Android G1 phone (developer with root access) to a new HTC Desire with 1ghz CPU! Its blindingly fast and supports flash! the later version that will come out some time during this year will support flash 10!! (not sure the battery will like it but the phone will support it!)

Find it's nice to have a phone that's not restricted and pointed a certain way, both the mac yokes and the htc devices do pretty much the same thing, if you want to root your device and go down the custom root you'd be better off with an android. You can have more then two different email accounts on this version I'm using (3) but that's something that could be increased, don't see a reason why.

Eh what else... it's using the standard usb input these days so any gadgets you get don't need to be white and ladled Maaaac.

fyi --- it also does CALLS :D Looked at a video of a guy that installed Android onto an Iphone and the LAST thing he tried was calling... some things have changed! I thought I'd miss a flipout keyboard on the never HTC but I don't the T9 function is absolutely brilliant and when you flip it down sideways you get a full qwerty keyboard. If I have to say something on the downside its the battery... but something has to give... I put on all the syncs possible so its checks your gmail, calendar sync and contact syncs with gmail every now and then and also the sync for the twitter, facebook and news and not to forget the stock market... while I was surfing the web on the wifi it does consume 'petrol' <<< I've just turned all that off and its cool to see it makes a huge difference. You can see on the phone whats consuming the most power... oh forgot it got the new google navigation which gives you a full featured gps with speech and all.

If you're still not sure why don't you find two friends that has either and compare the two.

:thumbs:

A

(I'm not an Iphone hater, really like the design... but for me it stops there)

I take it you have one of these? What do you personally think of it, does browser support flash?

:thumbs: its the crème ala crème these days, the 4g is a disappointment in my eyes... looks slick and feels slick. I went from a Android G1 phone (developer with root access) to a new HTC Desire with 1ghz CPU! Its blindingly fast and supports flash! the later version that will come out some time during this year will support flash 10!! (not sure the battery will like it but the phone will support it!)

Find it's nice to have a phone that's not restricted and pointed a certain way, both the mac yokes and the htc devices do pretty much the same thing, if you want to root your device and go down the custom root you'd be better off with an android. You can have more then two different email accounts on this version I'm using (3) but that's something that could be increased, don't see a reason why.

Eh what else... it's using the standard usb input these days so any gadgets you get don't need to be white and ladled Maaaac.

fyi --- it also does CALLS :D Looked at a video of a guy that installed Android onto an Iphone and the LAST thing he tried was calling... some things have changed! I thought I'd miss a flipout keyboard on the never HTC but I don't the T9 function is absolutely brilliant and when you flip it down sideways you get a full qwerty keyboard. If I have to say something on the downside its the battery... but something has to give... I put on all the syncs possible so its checks your gmail, calendar sync and contact syncs with gmail every now and then and also the sync for the twitter, facebook and news and not to forget the stock market... while I was surfing the web on the wifi it does consume 'petrol' <<< I've just turned all that off and its cool to see it makes a huge difference. You can see on the phone whats consuming the most power... oh forgot it got the new google navigation which gives you a full featured gps with speech and all.

If you're still not sure why don't you find two friends that has either and compare the two.

A

Had enough of my crappy Blackberry Storm, considering the HTC Desire. Have my dunce hat on now is it easy to set up to receive emails like the battery, what's involved please?

Depends where you host the mail mate :-P

Find it's nice to have a phone that's not restrictedd and pointed a certain way, both the mac yokes and the htc devices do pretty much the same thing, if you want to root your device and go down the custom root you'd be better off with an android. You can have more then two different email accounts on this version I'm using (3) but that's something that could be increased, don't see a reason why.

A

Had enough of my crappy Blackberry Storm, considering the HTC Desire. Have my dunce hat on now is it easy to set up to receive emails like the battery, what's involved please?

the biggest off puts for the htc's is the battery life for me.

they look to get through battery power quicker than a heroin addict in a mountain of gear

Iphone doesn't have a great battery life though :thumbdown: Its the only issue I have with it so far :)