dont buy fuel from esso or bp

buster

The price of oil is as low as it has been for a while, the oil companies have simply jacked their prices up and the labour government will not do anything as they rake in extra VAT for every increase,to help make up for the financial disaster that we are in, thanks to 10 yrs under Gordan Brown first as chancellor of the exchequer and then as unelected prime minister

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 114.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 1.50 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and

pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ...

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,

all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 90p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.

Would like to point out that Esso (exxon) and BP aren't one company if thats what was suggested.

I'm not in support of the tax increase, but we should also be mindful of the fact that the pound is very weak, effectivly making the barrel of oil (priced in $) more expensive.

I dont believe that not buying fuel from one or two brands will drive down the global oil price or erode refining margins. The two companies mentioned also supply a significant number of supermarket and other brand fuel retail / wholesellers.

Unfortunately, I believe that the days of cheap oil are sadly behind us - therefore every £ of fuel should be enjoyed in a great car like a Zed!

and the facebook page can't make 600 members after 3 months! I'm afraid anything with "pass onto (enter number) of your friends", however well intentioned, gets labelled as chain mail and is promptly deleted by me.

Though, as I only usually by from Tescos or Shell I guess I'm indirectly joining the cause :teeth:

Don't buy petrol on a Monday, wait till Tuesday! Woo Hoo ace idea! :wacko:

Sadly this campaign was dreamed up by someone with equal or less knowledge of operators than most of the country. Either that or it was the brainchild of someone at Shell for instance....

I'm sorry to say this, I really am but the petrol using brits cannot adjust the oil price by not buying fuel and it's extremely naive to think that it would.

There are no Opec restrictions in Europe or Africa just now and I'm assuming the rest of the world is unaffected but I don't know first hand about that. The price isn't being kept artificially high by anyone. It's simply supply and demand.

Ian is bang on with what he says too! :thumbs:

In my opinion the government is at fault for charging VAT, Fuel duty and any other bloody tax they can add on. It is them that is causing the price to be stupidly high and nobody else.

:lol: i buy from tesco anyway so im accidentally part of it. completely agree with stew though.

and am i the only one that finds the dont buy on a particular day thing funny. it actually saves them money as they dont have to pay for as many staff to be in on a monday or whatever :lol: just stupid :lol:

+1 on what stew said, this is government issue, profit made on fuel especially at supermarkets is nominal they do it to get you in and spend money at the store. you top up, and while your at it you go get some extras at the same time.

i can't remember where i read it, but i'm sure i read somewhere that one of the fuel companies made more money on sandwiches and snacks than they did on fuel.

i hate to say this but the french have the right idea having tolls on the motorways. but to do that we'd need to scrap road tax. then maybe i wouldn't mind paying so much for my fuel.

+1 on what stew said, this is government issue, profit made on fuel especially at supermarkets is nominal they do it to get you in and spend money at the store. you top up, and while your at it you go get some extras at the same time.

i can't remember where i read it, but i'm sure i read somewhere that one of the fuel companies made more money on sandwiches and snacks than they did on fuel.

i hate to say this but the french have the right idea having tolls on the motorways. but to do that we'd need to scrap road tax. then maybe i wouldn't mind paying so much for my fuel.

When I was a student I worked at a filling station (among other things...) If someone put in £10 of fuel and then paid by card the garage were LOSING money after they'd paid the card transaction. That was before staff etc were paid. I'd imagine that figure is closer to £20 now. The shop is where money was made.

If the oil companies and petrol station owners were making sooooooooo much money on fuel then why do they all shut down?

I can keep you all in the loop if OPEC take action in the form of restrictions. That's when you start complaining as then it's not purely the government at fault.

When I was a student I worked at a filling station (among other things...) If someone put in £10 of fuel and then paid by card the garage were LOSING money after they'd paid the card transaction. That was before staff etc were paid. I'd imagine that figure is closer to £20 now. The shop is where money was made.

If the oil companies and petrol station owners were making sooooooooo much money on fuel then why do they all shut down?

I can keep you all in the loop if OPEC take action in the form of restrictions. That's when you start complaining as then it's not purely the government at fault.

yeah when opec get involved its a double whammy of rate rises :wacko:

i use dto work at sainsburys filling station when i was at college :lol: it paid my my drink habit :lol:

Does not bother me anyhow. I dont drive the zed so dont use petrol i just look at it in the garage every night and kiss it goodnight before i go to bed. :lol: Then i thrash the bollox of my Punto everyday :yahoo:

Anyhow its a waste of time doing anything in this country, we just moan about things these day and do jack all about it. I gave up ages ago :surrender: We would be well ****ed over if the Battle of Britain started in this modern age. :lol:

The first time i saw this mail years ago i bought into the idea and have always used tesco 99 or shell Vpower since :teeth:

However the issues are more than just demand vs supply, high Uk taxes, weak pound etc but a complex interplay between these and mostly due to Labour's fault. The tories may well redress this but shaft us in other areas which i will not mind :teeth: (Mind you i have voted labour since i left uni and thats a longtime ago ;) but now i am disillusioned)..........................................................................................................................

Ok i'm ready for the flamming :lol:

I've got about 4 copies of this in my archive file on my emails. I get my petrol from sainsburys so I get nectar points plus it's local. I wish we could all do something about it but until the lorries and tractors are on the motorways doing 10mph bringing Britain to a standstill then this shittiest government ever is going to keep pulling our pants down. :rant:

BP dont have any refineries in the uk anyway so just buy it in using their bulk discount.

On a similar matter the UK do not have a strategic refinery policy, we fit into the EU strategic refinery policy. The latest review suggests that there are 7 too many refineries in the EU zone. Anyone car to guess which ones will close. :dry:

It may interst you to google and see who owns the refineries in the UK at the moment, they are not having a good time with most product being imported from the continent where it is cheaper.

When the UK stops producing petrol completely see how we get on. :surrender:

I've got about 4 copies of this in my archive file on my emails. I get my petrol from sainsburys so I get nectar points plus it's local. I wish we could all do something about it but until the lorries and tractors are on the motorways doing 10mph bringing Britain to a standstill then this shittiest government ever is going to keep pulling our pants down. :rant:

I agree :thumbs:

The companies are not the problem here. I don't and never have worked in the oil industry, so have no vested interest in this and my views are not skewed.

The problem consists of a huge number of separate issues:

1. Taxes, levies, etc, etc. These make up the vast bulk of the petrol price in this country. It is absurt that the government should take such a huge chunk of money for people to allow themselves to do things like go to work. ~48-50% of the price

2. VAT. Again, taxing people for not sitting at home, claiming benefits. 17.5% of the price

3. Price of crude oil + refining costs. These are fixed to a degree. Roughly speaking ~30-32%. Some of the bigger firms can bring this down to 28-29% territory if they are very good.

That totals around 97-98% of the price of petrol in this country.

4. This is a massive point that nobody seems to mention and one that the media very smartly always omit. Any massive oil company has to forecast a number of months & years in advance to ensure they explore, drill, pump, deliver, buy, etc so that you can have petrol at your doorstep every single day. Therefore, today's petrol price to the company will be a very complex mix of the prices over the last 5-6 years. If a company's balance sheet meant that they had to buy a lot during an expensive period, that will mean that when prices come down, they cannot drop theirs in turn. Moreover, these companies have to forecast what the price will do going forward. As the general view is that prices will continue steadily climbing, the forward curve on oil price is only getting steeper. Hence even though the oil price on the market today is X, the price of an advance trade/buying for 2 years from now/future/any other product an oil company wishes to get (eg derivative types) will be a lot higher than this.

Basically, compared to the majority of businesses, oil companies have relatively tiny profits. The absolute numbers published by newspapers can look staggering, but given the turnover these companies have (unlike any other product, virtually ALL of us use their merchandise every single day), they are really not large at all.

The really big problem in this country is the government which does not realise that charging 70% of the price of petrol as some form of tax is quite frankly a joke. That, together with road tax, all the taxes associated with buying and maintaining cars, etc, I find it rather surprising when my local council informs me that they don't have enough budget to go and fill in massive gaping potholes all over the place.

As mentioned above, this initiative won't work. There has to be something much more drastic if anything is to change.

We have this everytime there is a fuel hike yet no one made a

fuss last year when it crept up did they? Bottom line if we say no to buying any petrol for 1 day what does it prove - oh well they only need to wait the

next day!! What's the point we need oil and they have it , simple. Remember when the wagon drivers protested a few years ago that seemed to get everyones attention and we supported them but they had contingency inplace pretty quick after that .

So what's to be done we can only hit them in the one place that hurts - yes their political b@lls!! Use your vote wisely :shrug:

So what's to be done we can only hit them in the one place that hurts - yes their political b@lls!! Use your vote wisely :shrug:

Wont make jack @*!# difference Stan who we vote in we will get screwed just the same. They are all bent ;)

Vote for the monster raving loony party :yahoo:

BP dont have any refineries in the uk anyway so just buy it in using their bulk discount.

On a similar matter the UK do not have a strategic refinery policy, we fit into the EU strategic refinery policy. The latest review suggests that there are 7 too many refineries in the EU zone. Anyone car to guess which ones will close. :dry:

It may interst you to google and see who owns the refineries in the UK at the moment, they are not having a good time with most product being imported from the continent where it is cheaper.

When the UK stops producing petrol completely see how we get on. :surrender:

I though bp have the grangemouth refinery over the hill from me.