BulletMagnets ghettotastic iPod Mod for the Bose

BulletMagnet

I quite like my Bose headunit, mainly because I haven't really had any issues with it.

I did have a FM Transmitter, but it was pants, especially with a stubby aerial.

I purchased a Belkin casette adapter and even though many warned away from the cassette adapter, I found that the sound was fine for my liking.

The only thing that actually bothered me, was the fact that I had a cable coming out of my tapedeck and it made it look quite naff.

I decided today that it was time to do something about it and get off my lazy arse and try and tuck it away.

Here's what I used:

Belkin cassette adapter and the standard Bose HU

DSC02073.jpg

I inserted the adapter before removing the HU, which would make it easier to route the cable later.

DSC02074.jpg

I spotted a suitable hole on the bottom of the HU which I deemed suitable for my endeavour, because I could see the tape deck door/flap through it.

DSC02075.jpg

DSC02076.jpg

Then I loosened all the clips that held the fasia panel and lifted it

DSC02078.jpg

DSC02077.jpg

Luckily for me, the 3.5mm plug just fit through the hole I chose

DSC02081.jpg

Then put it back together

DSC02082.jpg

DSC02083.jpg

HU back in the car, I was thinking where to actually put the cable and iPod.

rear cubby was the answer, but the existing cable was too short

DSC02084.jpg

So I purchased an extension cable (3m with gold plated connectors for £9.99)

DSC02086.jpg

Connected it one end and tidied the cable somewhat

DSC02087.jpg

Removed all the bolts that hold the tunnel down and routed the cable to the rear cubby

DSC02088.jpg

Cut the hole in the baseplate a little bigger so that all the wires could fit thru

DSC02089.jpg

Quick check that it all works ok

DSC02090.jpg

And there you have it, iPod connectivity on the cheap and no wires visible in the cabin, yay!

DSC02091.jpg

DSC02092.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice...

You got a tape deck?! :scare:

we all have a tape deck :bang:

with the effort why not do the tape deck hack?

good job though :)

Cos unlike you sir, I am hopeless with a soldering iron...

oh :blush: sorry, thats a really neat job though :thumbs:

and you can never have to much gold audio stuff in your car :teeth:

Are you willing to make a bit of money through this? :dance:

Nope, but I could do it for free, as long as you already have a cassette adapter (Belkin one has the smaller iPod style plug), a car charger and an extention lead.

It's a 30 min job at the most and I'd prolly be able to come to Lowestoft to help, provided you can pay in cups of tea

Are you willing to make a bit of money through this? :dance:

Nope, but I could do it for free, as long as you already have a cassette adapter (Belkin one has the smaller iPod style plug), a car charger and an extention lead.

It's a 30 min job at the most and I'd prolly be able to come to Lowestoft to help, provided you can pay in cups of tea

You're kind, sir. Just need the extension cable and the Belkin cassette. I will do it if the Belkin is actually that good in quality.

The kettle never cools in this house, Mark.

And, Rich, what are you currently listening to on cassette, Bonnie Raitt?! :lol:

That looks really good to me too mate, well done. One question where's the ipod charger plugged in and where does that wire go?

plugged into rear powersocket via a car charger

And is that wire hidden away? I'd be interested to see how that looks, the reason I ask is that I doubt that my car charger would reach that far!

That looks really good to me too mate, well done. One question where's the ipod charger plugged in and where does that wire go?

plugged into rear powersocket via a car charger

And is that wire hidden away? I'd be interested to see how that looks, the reason I ask is that I doubt that my car charger would reach that far!

it looks rather ghetto to be honest, but that's why it's a ghettotastic mod, lol.

will pop out and take a pic after I've eaten...

EDIT

Here's the pic of the charger

DSC02103.jpg